LegacyGT.com

Toybaru ??

Toyota has had a large share in what used to be FHI for a long time; nothing new her...

"Nothing new here" ? ...

I guess that depends on what you call "new" ... if certain Subaru models are going to be possibly built on the Toyota platform .... I'd kinda call that reasonably "new" .... but hey, that's just me ;)

"... the two Japanese manufacturers are said to be working on a coupe that will use a Toyota chassis, a Subaru engine ..."

https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/previews/toyota-and-subaru-s-2021-turbocharged-86-brz-to-be-built-on-toyota-s-platform/

"Nothing new here" ? ...

I guess that depends on what you call "new" ... if certain Subaru models are going to be possibly built on the Toyota platform .... I'd kinda call that reasonably "new" .... but hey, that's just me ;)

"... the two Japanese manufacturers are said to be working on a coupe that will use a Toyota chassis, a Subaru engine ..."

https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/previews/toyota-and-subaru-s-2021-turbocharged-86-brz-to-be-built-on-toyota-s-platform/

The current/original BRZ/86/FRS is a Toyota design with a [mostly] Subaru powertrain. This is just a new version of what already exists. It even has a Toyota digital clock!

Still, I think this is good for Subaru in the long term. Market forces are going to continue to punish smaller car companies. I fear for Mazda.

I fear for Mazda.

It would seem Mazda are also working pretty closely with Toyota and are apparently going to be building cars on the same assemly line in Alabama.

https://newsroom.mazda.com/en/publicity/release/2018/201803/180309a.html

https://www.spencermotors.com.au/news/toyota-and-mazda-team-up-to-make-cars-better/

"Nothing new here" ? ...

No, I meant, 'nothing new her...' What, you don't speak ghetto? :rolleyes:

How long has the BRZ/FR-S been around?

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

No, I meant, 'nothing new her...' What, you don't speak ghetto? How long has the BRZ/FR-S been around?

Sorry I still don't get it ... but forgetting about "ghetto speak" ... I think you perhaps didn't get the idea of my original post. I said in it "Interesting what the future holds" ... meaning I wasn't denying any current co-operation (as you correctly pointed out) ... but I just wondered if the implied increased interest from Toyota into Subaru would translate into more co-operation and idea sharing, that might involve other models, rather than just the current situation with the BRZ and the FRS (86). But just on that point, and I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong, it appears that the current BRZ and FRS are made in the Subaru plant ... but there is a suggestion that the updated model might be made in the Toyota plant. Now to me, if that was the only change in the relationship, that in itself would be classed as "new" ... and would also be an advantage, because of the generally regarded better build quality of Toyotas.

But forgetting about those 2 specific models, in the video link I included, the presenter mentions that an increased financial interest from Toyota might possibly affect other models and other power trains and electric and hybrid vehicles .... that's all I was suggesting when I said that the future MIGHT be INTERESTING :)

More like Toyota is starting to slowly turn into GM. With sub brands like Mazda (Pontiac?) and Subaru (Buick?) lol :D

Oh... You mean globalization. I think the Japanese brands figured this out before others. (BTW... EVERYONE now shares tech. Look under the hood or at your dashboards). ;-)

And yes... i also drive an Italian car with some Bosch electrics.... LOL:lol:

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Started production in January 2012, so 8 years.

Thanks, but the question was rhetorical and in response to Bris.

Sorry I still don't get it ... but forgetting about "ghetto speak" ... I think you perhaps didn't get the idea of my original post. I said in it "Interesting what the future holds" ... meaning I wasn't denying any current co-operation (as you correctly pointed out) ... but I just wondered if the implied increased interest from Toyota into Subaru would translate into more co-operation and idea sharing, that might involve other models, rather than just the current situation with the BRZ and the FRS (86). But just on that point, and I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong, it appears that the current BRZ and FRS are made in the Subaru plant ... but there is a suggestion that the updated model might be made in the Toyota plant. Now to me, if that was the only change in the relationship, that in itself would be classed as "new" ... and would also be an advantage, because of the generally regarded better build quality of Toyotas.

But forgetting about those 2 specific models, in the video link I included, the presenter mentions that an increased financial interest from Toyota might possibly affect other models and other power trains and electric and hybrid vehicles .... that's all I was suggesting when I said that the future MIGHT be INTERESTING :)

Maybe I mistook your quoting me, but it seemed as if you were being a douche, picking out a simple spelling error ('her' instead of here') in 'nothing new her". In case you honestly didn't get it, I'll apologize. I meant to say that there's "nothing new herE".

Regarding the remainder of your post, I understand what you mean. While there's a lot of speculation, it's generally understood that the biggest benefit to Subaru will likely stem from Toyta EV/hybrid tech, since this Subaru has not shown us that they are able to pull of anything even close to acceptable on their own, let alone a sole push for EV in even a small number of their offerings. I believe this speculation, because it seems pretty obvious that ANY small make would struggle with a proposed paradigm shift, such as this.

I don't consider Subaru's initial offering of the Xtrek hybrid as even a good starting point, to be honest, and hope that their plan is to implement tried-and-true Toyota tech into their lineup with as little affect cost as possible. They're latest offering is promising, but still doesn't impress much. It'll be interesting to see where Subaru is in 2030...Hell, it'll be interesting to see where Subaru is COMPARED TO everyone else when it comes to EV tech. Would you buy a 2030 Subaru that compares in mileage and range to TODAY'S plug-ins and EVs when Toyota itself will likely be well beyond Subaru? For all we know, Subaru will be like Scion to Toyota by then.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Thanks, but the question was rhetorical and in response to Bris.Maybe I mistook your quoting me, but it seemed as if you were being a douche, picking out a simple spelling error ('her' instead of here') in 'nothing new her". In case you honestly didn't get it, I'll apologize. I meant to say that there's "nothing new herE".

All good ... no problem mate. I always thought that it was just a typo, and that you meant "Here" ... but when you mentioned "ghetto speak" I thought that I wasn't up to date with the latest slang :lol:

Thanks for clearing it all up.

Yeah we have suffered from Toyota influence for 10 years now starting with the BM chassis Legacy. Look at all the model changes starting in MY10 forward. You may notice 2 things: a reduction in any thing "fun" and bloated blandness :lol: The WRX is the last "sporty" model and it even is vanilla in the current year models across the segment.

Yeah we have suffered from Toyota influence for 10 years now starting with the BM chassis Legacy. Look at all the model changes starting in MY10 forward. You may notice 2 things: a reduction in any thing "fun" and bloated blandness :lol: The WRX is the last "sporty" model and it even is vanilla in the current year models across the segment.

By that logic, we were suffering under GM's influence before Toyota. GM took over from Nissan in 1999, so do we credit to GM for hte mighty BL/BP Legacyies?

Speaking of vanilla, you should have seen Subaru's lineup in the early 90's.