LegacyGT.com

Tool required for 5EAT ATF drain plug

What tool is required for the ATF drain plug on the 5EAT? Is it a 9mm hex bit? I put an 8mm hex bit into it, and it was just a little too small. The 10mm looks WAY too big.

It is hard to find a 9mm hex bit socket anywhere. I have a set that has 8mm and 10mm. That's what I find wherever I look. I need to buy the right tool. I already have some fresh ATF (for 5EAT) ready to go.

Thanks..........

I was wrong about the 8mm socket not fitting. I tried again today, with my new set of allen wrenches and the 9mm. 9mm was too big. I put the 8mm in the plug, and it was a perfect fit. I must have been turning the socket at a weird angle last weekend.

8mm allen fits the 5EAT ATF drain plug. My T70 torx bit is on order for the differential drain plugs.

Yeah. It was pretty freakin' easy. :redface: I need to buy a few of those drain plug crush gaskets. I bought 10 quarts of the 5EAT tranny fluid. I plan on doing the drain and refill at least one more time to get some more of the old fluid out of the tranny.

I wish I had tried the 8mm bit twice last week. I just went ahead and drained and refilled the engine coolant last weekend.

• 1 month later...
Yeah. It was pretty freakin' easy. :redface: I need to buy a few of those drain plug crush gaskets. I bought 10 quarts of the 5EAT tranny fluid. I plan on doing the drain and refill at least one more time to get some more of the old fluid out of the tranny.

I wish I had tried the 8mm bit twice last week. I just went ahead and drained and refilled the engine coolant last weekend.

did you change the atf filter??

• 2 months later...
you acctually should change the filter, some techs say yes some say no, i would on newer vehicles cause if its consistantly done it will be good for it but on older vehicles where it hasnt been dont often or at all may give you some problems with the valve body if changed as well as the fluid

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

• 5 months later...

I'm going to try and do it this weekend if I can get a hold of our lift (currently my fathers Firebird occupies it for a heads/cam swap, guess he got tired of the boy wuppin his all day long:) ), If I can get it done I am going to be pulling the pan and filter as well and putting in a trans cooler, I'll get a good writeup for ya but it is a super easy (but messy) job. Biggest deal with any AT is any part you pull off clean it till your hands bleed. You want it to be like new when you put it back on. really here is the whole deal if I can't get it done.

Drian trans fluid

remove pan

remove filter (haven't done it yet but it should just pull right out)

Install new filter

clean pan

install pan with new gasket (not sure on the torque spec for the bolts yet)

Clean drain plug

install drain plug

fill transmission

Edited by NY2005GT

• 1 year later...

Just got a wake up call. AT in the Girlfriend's Accord just died. Repair was costly. Decided I should change the tranny fluid in my vehicle. A little late in the game 53k, but checked regularly. Thanks to all the posts here I was done in less than 30 min. Fluid looked almost new, still pink, just not bright pink. No burnt smell whatsoever.

'08 5EAT Drain & Fill took 3.7qts, used Subaru ATF.

Crush Washer Part #11126AA040

8mm allen for the drain plug.

I used to think that tranny fluid should be regularly checked and changed at 100k.

Not anymore after seeing the inside of her tranny. Will now change every 25-30k.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

• 1 year later...
Ok...just completed the tranny flush on a 5eat Gt Limited. It required 4 quarts for a drain and fill. I did drain it twice, so I bought 8 quarts of the amsoil atf stuff. It required a 8mm hex bit to remove the drain bolt...it was an easy task to complete. The tranny shifts flawless now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I used a T70 torx bit on the girlfriend's forester. Obviously that's a forester and not a legacy but I would assume it's either the T70 or T50. Shouldn't be too difficult to drain and replace the filter and refill. I got my torx bits from Autozone for free out of their bag of extras.

And use OEM fluid. It's easier not to screw it up that way.

Edited by ChemicalWaste
missed the "n't"

I went to a local Subie guru and had him did a transmission flush with Subaru ATF and BG additives. The fluid were discolored but no too bad looking.

Funny thing is after the flush, the car still drives the same as it did before. Nothing changed at all. I guess that's a good thing? :lol:

I have no control over drippie.

• 3 months later...

I was going to change my AT fluid and differential oil this weekend.

Anyone have a preference on brand of differential oil? Subaru Extra-S or something else? Or is it not a big deal as long as its 75W90 GL-5?

I know the MT guys like the Subaru Extra-S, but I would imagine they have a bit more reason to be picky about it since they depend on it for shifting as well.

Edited by rsmoove

I was going to change my AT fluid and differential oil this weekend.

Anyone have a preference on brand of differential oil? Subaru Extra-S or something else? Or is it not a big deal as long as its 75W90 GL-5?

I know the MT guys like the Subaru Extra-S, but I would imagine they have a bit more reason to be picky about it since they depend on it for shifting as well.

Your suspicion is correct. For diff oil, any good 75W-90 will do. The factory service manual, and maybe even the regular manual, has a chart showing what diff oil weight to use for what temperature ranges. You're not going to notice a difference with X brand vs Y brand gear oil, especially on an open front diff. If you're like me, you pull a name brand synthetic and be done with it. Though it doesn't really matter,

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who put any info on this tread. I changed my differential oil and trans fluid yesterday and everything went smooth as silk! Thanks to all the posts, I had everything I needed to get everything done without having to go back to the store once. I sprayed liquid wrench on all the bolts the night before, and when it came time to take them off, they all came off easy as pie. So thank you everyone!

Okay, so I am trying to change my ATF and diff. Fluid. I am pretty sure how to do the differentials but am unsure about the transmission. Can someone please give me a response on the correct process to change the ATF? And possibly the process on the differentials just to make sure as well ;). Your help and feedback is much appreciated, thank you all!