LegacyGT.com

Tires... What have you replaced the stock tires with?

I need new tires. So many decisions.. I would rather make a good decision my first time round. Please share if you have replaced the stock rubber and love the decision you made... I used snow tires this past winter and loved them so much, I can't decide to get All season or dedicated summer tires? And swap out to the winters when it's time? Is there a tire that helps with the loose on center feel ? Has anyone put a different sized tire? I had thought maybe going with a 225/45/18 would help by having a smaller sidewall and get rid of some of the mushy-ness.. Any insight would be helpful. Hope to make a decision today as I need to get these snow tires off the car..

I used the Yokohama yk740 gtx high performance all season tire that discount tire sells. I have it on my Legacy for almost 40k miles before i sold the car. Worked great year round. I liked it so much as soon as i bought my bmw i sold the 18” run flat tires/wheels and bought 19” wheels and the Yokos yk740 for the bmw. On the subaru i used them year round. On the bmw i got separate snows and regulars.

I just bought General G MAX AS 05 tires for my daughter and it’s been great but it’s only been three months so no long term yet. But if they work great I will switch to them when the Yokos wear out.

I’m not sure about making the sidewall smaller?? Wouldn’t adding a few psi make it less mushy?? Or buy run flats. It will be so stiff. Lol

I usually do a -1 for winter and a +1 for summer if I do that.

I didn’t get dedicated summers because the treadwear is so low and Ohio weather can vary greatly day to day.

I went with 245/45R18 Firehawk Indy 500's.

Got rid of alot of the mushy, and were quieter to boot!

A great tire for a great price IMO.

I wouldn't go with just dropping aspect ratio as your speedo will be out significantly.

Ensure the overall diameter/revs per mile are very close (within about 2 %).

Tire Rack is great for all that info when you compare specifications on tires.

I put on michelin premier 2 years ago, they were good the first summer the second summer they have become VERY noisy. I will pass on them next time. I run separate rims and snows in the winter. I have heard the goodyear comfort tread are quiet and handle good. Good luck on your search. Edited by WILLINH

I have driven the Continental DWS06, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, and the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack.

My favorite is the QuietTrack.

The DWS06 has amazing grip in the wet and especially the snow. NVH is acceptable but you do feel the bumps and imperfections in the road and they get noisier with more miles. Ride quality is good, the tires keep you planted in turns and stay straight on the highway. The turn-in is a little mushy at first, which isn't the best compliment to the already numb steering feel. Braking is awesome.

The Pilot Sports are better than the DWS06 in my opinion. I tried to break the grip in all kinds of conditions (except snow) and they never let go. You can drive in the wet as if the roads are dry, even at higher speeds and temps in the mid 30's and 40's. These are super responsive and provide clear and instant feedback. Turn-in is instant. The steering is improved, but almost darty. Braking is awesome.

Both of the above get noisier with more miles. And both transmit a lot of feedback - including feedback from crappy roads. Also, both caught nails like magnets. I had to use the Discount Tire add-on warranty to replace both sets due to nails.

The QuietTrack is an all-season Grand Touring which is the OEM spec. I only have a few hundred miles on them, but in my opinion this is the best choice. Ride quality is excellent, these soak up most of the bumps and live up to their name in terms of noise. They are super quiet, even on pitted and rough roads. You can hear the purr of the 3.6 and music is much better. Big improvement. Steering and handling are excellent; not as sporty as the DWS06 or Pilot Sports, but then they are not trying to be sporty. Treadlife is supposedly 80k, which probably translates to a harder, more durable rubber.

Edited by Gravy

I swapped out the stock tires for Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 and have ran them in all seasons (Utica Winters) for anyone who is familiar with Central New York. Never had a problem with grip in all scenarios and ride is comfortable and quiet. Can’t go wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you everybody that replied with their tires.. I ended up going with a newer tire that was just made available in this country. They are VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL and I opted for the 225/45/18. So far I love the tires~! Going down to 45 helps with the wandering at dead center. Besides the 3 snowflake rating on A/S, these tires are non-directional which mattered to me because being able to rotate them properly I expect them to last longer than directional tires. -cheers

I went a little different direction with my setup as I wanted to gain some lift so I first installing a 2 in lift then opted for a set of snow tires GENERAL ALTIMAX ARCTIC 12 on a smaller 17 rim. Now for the summer I wanted something a little more aggressive so I went with Falken WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL tires on the same 17 in rims. I will be putting them on this weekend so i can't speak to how they are yet but from the reviews I had read I think I will be happy with them. Edited by NNJLegacy

I went with RE92's served me great so far.

When I was in fifth grade I got new shoes that I thought looked cool. Some off-brand basketball shoes that were about $12 for the pair. I think it was XJ900 but probably not Pro Wings. I don't remember for sure.

I got made fun of pretty hard because apparently they were Air Jordan knock offs. I did not know this when I picked them, but was treated like I did.

Those shoes sounded like I was wearing cleats when I ran. The sole was not rubber like most shoes, but actually a hard plastic that caused me to slip/slide on concrete as I attempted to play basketball alone.

These are the memories that the RE92 tires brought back to me.

The OP should consider the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac as a replacement tire.

Very grippy, and I have about 70K on mine now still going strong. Great tire in mud or snow. They do cup if they don’t get rotated though.

Very grippy, and I have about 70K on mine now still going strong. Great tire in mud or snow. They do cup if they don’t get rotated though.

GTFO out of here with that nonsense. Other people are making good recommendations like RWebb, and you go spreading dis-information.

I had lots of success with the RE92. Don't like them? fight me.

RE92’s are a good tire, but there are better options.

OP might also want to look into the Michelin XDR series tires. Very high load ratings, and renowned for durability and a good ride.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 years later...

update:  I ended up buying the 

VREDSTEIN

QUATRAC PRO - SIZE: 225/45R18

Amazing in the snow..   Unfortunately they literally melt on hot pavement...  Along with cupping / chucks of tire flying off.