LegacyGT.com

Tire sidewall bulge

Honestly, how bad is this? I rotated the tires today and found a nail in the tread of one tire, and this sidewall bulge on another. I remember when I had them rotated last time the guy said one tire was out of balance, and I had them balance all four. I’m thinking this is what caused it. That was 5k ago.

So far it has been fine, but I’m not sure if I want to chance it much longer.d60677c48eef86bebba17842b3cf88fb.jpge5ab0e7597f3416f9aee50a3c6522c0b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you haven't had a repair in that radial cable and it is bulging like that I would be asking for a new set or a very good deal on one. Tires should not bulge like that without some kind of damage.

On a related note, I took my car to have a tire patched, and because I put a plug in it Discount Tire wouldn't touch it. Just a PSA for you all. I don't blame them, but it sucks. Oh well I got the road hazard for free from tire rack.

I agree with the above - the bulge = internal damage. At the very least, that tire needs to go. If you are still inside the warranty (seems likely looking at the tread) bring them back and get a new one.

That bulge can often be caused from hitting a hard pothole/curb, where the tire actually gets squished/depressed.

You can try to push for warranty but I think you will have a hard time getting it.

I've seen bulges much worse than that on similar profile tires, and they lasted for many miles until the tread on the tires dictated replacement anyway.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do anything, but I wouldn't be too worried about the tire blowing out at any second.

The big concern is if you hit a pothole/hard bump in that same location. That's when it could let go.

Looking at your tread depth, you have some miles on those tires, but still another 5-10K miles left, is my guess.

It's a tough call to replace all 4 tires because of that one bulge.

Even with a road hazard warranty, most tires stores will "pro-rate" the cost of replacement tires, and not just replace it for free.

So if you have say, 10,000 miles left on that tire, that may offer you 10-20% off the price of a new tire and/or new SET of tires.

I would really doubt that you would get a FREE SET of 4 tires over that bulge in 1 tire.

This is why I get my tires from Discount Tire... if you had bought from them, they will replace that tire no questions asked... as long as you have their road hazard warranty.

Discount Tire has been moving into the KC area over the past year or two. I have one right down the street. :)

These tires were on the car when I bought it, so I have no idea what kind of warranty they have.

So, here is the big question.

What tires do you guys recommend? These tires run $197 at Discount Tire, and $198.40 on Tire Rack. The tires have been great, and I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting the same ones.

Ive been running the Conti DWS06 for over a year now and I love em. Yea we dont get much ice/snow down here but they did come in handy with the freezes we've had recently. I'm gonna guess that you get more icy conditions up in KS than down here on the Gulf Coast.

Ive been running the Conti DWS06 for over a year now and I love em. Yea we dont get much ice/snow down here but they did come in handy with the freezes we've had recently. I'm gonna guess that you get more icy conditions up in KS than down here on the Gulf Coast.

We just had the Ice Capades here yesterday.

I got Bridgestone Turenza Serenity + on both of my cars.. the 2003 Legacy got them in 2015 at 75K, now has 122K tread is still 7/32 and on the '14 Legacy, they were installed at 40K and now have 46 with no measurable wear on them yet...

Discount Tire has been moving into the KC area over the past year or two. I have one right down the street. :)

These tires were on the car when I bought it, so I have no idea what kind of warranty they have.

you would have to contact Michelin to get that information

I had the prior version of the G-MAX 03 AS on my GT when I bought it. The seem decent and had good reviews, but it is hard to compare because the G-MAX tires was oversized 245/45-18 tire vs 225/45-18 Continental DW summers and snows that I have now or the 235/45-17 Dunlop summer tires that I had on my 2.5i. The G-MAX tires had about 3/4" more sidewall.

Archived