LegacyGT.com

Timing belt snapped: Which engines will fit?

My 2004 JDM B4 GT with manual transmission snapped its timing belt. I now need a new engine (or at least a head?).

Can I use an engine from an automatic in my manual car? The automatics come with EJ20Xs while manuals come with EJ20Ys, but I have no idea what the difference is besides the turbo, ECU, and possibly the cams.

Could I take a used head from another engine and swap it directly? What are the odds the pistons and cylinders aren't damaged?

I am pretty sure that 2006+ engines are actually quite different and won't work.

Edited by Bariki

You will have to make sure the timing belt guides are in place if you have a manual tranny if the engine came out of a automatic tranny car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What does that mean?

Here in the US, the engines that have a manual transmission have guide plates on the corners of the timing belt cover, cars that have automatic transmissions don't have them.

If you put a engine without the guides in front of a manual tranny, the belt can get slack if you push in the clutch from high rpm to let the engine go to idle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Here in the US, the engines that have a manual transmission have guide plates on the corners of the timing belt cover, cars that have automatic transmissions don't have them.

If you put a engine without the guides in front of a manual tranny, the belt can get slack if you push in the clutch from high rpm to let the engine go to idle.

Oh, OK. Thanks.