LegacyGT.com

Timing belt, head gaskets, turbo

Hey guys, quick question regarding these maintinence items.. My car currently has an 85,000 mile warranty on it but it DOES NOT cover the timing belt. My main question is which of these parts would most likely shit on me first? Second, i talked to on of the guys at the dealership about doing the timing belt myself, but he urged against it claiming i could try to talk to a tech to do it for me for some kind of deal. The car is at 102500 miles

Timing belt. its do at 105,000 miles.

Contact a local repair shop and have them give you an estimate, IMO do not use the Gates timing belt kit.

What year car ?

There is a timing belt DIY thread in that forum below.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What's wrong with the gates timing belt kit other then getting the kit without the water pump?

I guess you've missed the threads, I had water pump issues after 20,000 miles. Others have had pulley problems in the past year or so. Seems they changed vendor and were getting parts of lesser quality.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I guess you've missed the threads, I had water pump issues after 20,000 miles. Others have had pulley problems in the past year or so. Seems they changed vendor and were getting parts of lesser quality.

So who else makes a decent kit without water pump? I thought they always used NTN bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont worry ill stay away from gates, the belt kit is from Contitech.. My buddy recommended it. The year is 05'

I figured itd be around 105k though. Place quoted 600$ i checked with.

Your buddy is a good man!

1-3-2-4: It's best to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt. If you already have one, my apologies. I prefer Contitech or Aisin. I opted for the Aisin on my car since it was a little cheaper than the Continental but same oem quality components.

I talked to subaru parts and they recommended gates fir timing belt kit...but what about Evergreen TBK328BWP? TIA. --Leg4Life

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Every forum ive looked up says to stay away from gates.. Can you post the thread on that please? Im really wanting to diy the whole thing but its under warranty so i wouldnt want to mess that up.. First shop quoted me around 600$ but one of my good friends is close with our "shortline" dealers. I think hes gonna hook me up with a good deal. Im about to do the first oil change this weekend (shouldve done when i got the car) anyone have links to a reliable performance parts site i can check out to get a grasp on upgrades and do some research? Thanks for all the feedback btw!

http://www.tuningalliance.com is who I recommend, Brian and Mike can get you whatever you need.

email or PM them.

That $600 price is pretty good for the timing belt job.

Your buddy is a good man!

1-3-2-4: It's best to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt. If you already have one, my apologies. I prefer Contitech or Aisin. I opted for the Aisin on my car since it was a little cheaper than the Continental but same oem quality components.

I have the cast Subaru water pump i never knew Continental made timing belt kits for our cars..

• 1 month later...

From my notes:

AISIN TKF004(includes waterpump, no cam/crank seals)

or

ContiTech TB328LK1 (includes waterpump, no cam/crank seals)

or

ContiTech TB328LK4 (includes waterpump + cam/crank seals)

There are also versions that do not include the waterpump.

rockauto.com seems to have the best prices (about $250).

You might want to double-check those part numbers.

I would advise you not to use Gates until they get their act together. I had to buy a new idler from the Subaru dealer because I didn't want to install Chinese parts on my interference engine. That idler alone cost $55 dollars and that was a discounted price.

Advance is not a "local business" plus they cost a lot more. I did a lot of shopping around before I bought the Aisin kit from Rockauto and I could not find it cheaper. That includes my discounts through a few parts stores.

Advance is not a "local business" plus they cost a lot more. I did a lot of shopping around before I bought the Aisin kit from Rockauto and I could not find it cheaper. That includes my discounts through a few parts stores.

What I'm saying is the people who work at your local auto parts store live near you. It's like buying from Sears, your still supporting local people who work there.

Its also easier to return items if needed.

none of these I need a water pump because I have the stock cast one.

:confused: The part numbers I showed in post #16 do include the water pump. Isn't that what you were asking about? Or did you mean you DON'T need the water pump?

I would NEVER do a timing belt on anything where the water pump is a stressed member of the belt path without changing the pump. You are changing a major characteristic of the pump when you put on a new belt (side load on the bearings and seals) as it's tighter and less forgiving than the one you took off. You'll be replacing the water pump not long after changing the belt and it's not worth it to have to do it all twice.

Considering the cost of the water pump I would do it while you're in there as long as you have a reputable replacement pump (not Gates). It's just 3 hose clamps and like 6 easy to access bolts further than doing the timing belt without the water pump. It gives you a chance to inspect the hoses as well, which may need to be replaced. You definitely don't want to leave bad hoses on the car, a failed radiator hose can ruin your day (along with your engine).

These engine bays are hot, rubber tends to fail accordingly.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived