LegacyGT.com

I think it's dead

My car just lost power no boost, my clutch got stuck half way. Smell of like burnt fluids maybe Trans, clutch.

Lost boost, wining squealing noises I limped it into a parking lot. Shut it down. Open the engine, no leaks. Now it won't stay running sounded like some knocking in the engine with the last start up. [emoji27]

175k on the engine. What's weird is that the Trans and engine both agree having issues. Sorry for the beat Grammer I'm in the tow truck upset.

Any ideas or suggestions? If I need a new engine and Trans what's the most cost efficient and best power plant? I'm thinking sti swap but not sure on cost and if there's another options for best bang for the buck.

move to more appropriate section.

sti swap is not going to be cheap. Threads in here, http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/build-threads-142.html, can give you a wakeup call on the amount of work required.

Current thinking, says get a shortblock from heuberger, re-use your heads, and clean everything very well to get all the metal bits out. JmP is doing Turbo rebuilds for cheap, too.

Can you still engage the clutch or is it stuck? If it's stuck then you pushed the TOB through the pressure disk or the TOB blew up. I would rule out the Trans being damaged yet, until you pull it off and inspect the shaft/snot.

Same thing with the motor, it could all be related to the clutch system. A blown up TOB will cause a lot of noise with all the metal being tossed around in there. One way or the other you're gonna have to pull the motor or trans to inspect it.

I had the same problem when my TOB blew up.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I guess you know, DO NOT start the engine until you know the turbo is ok. Make sure the shop fixing it knows that. It will put metal in the engine if it's bad.

You can use an ej255 or most of use a ej257 from a dealer vendor on here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you can get it started with the clutch and let it idle in neutral and dies, then there is something else wrong. Better yet, drain the oil and see if you have metal flakes in the oil, this will tell you if something happened internal.

Would my engine still run with a tob being destroyed? The engine quit while running that's what's scared me.

My engine would not idle or start without pushing the gas pedal when my throwout bearing went out, it died while pulling into my parking spot. The knocking noise was horrific when it went out. Like everyone else is saying though don't try to run it now until you know more what is going on. It's fairly easy to pull the rubber boot off the shift fork and take a peak at the throwout bearing.

It's not the engine. Car runs fine.

I got a quote from 3 places.

Dealer said 1200. $400 parts tob clutch plate and 8 hrs labor $800.

Local used Subaru dealer $1250. Says tob, clutch, fly wheel.

Another local specialize used Subaru dealer 1450, tob, clutch, upgrade flywheel.

Went with the second quote plus I can get it on Monday where the others couldn't do till late next week.

Hope that's all there is when they do the work.

Good to hear it's not the motor.

First time my TOB blew I was out of town about 200 miles and I had no choice but to take it to the local dealer there. It cost me about $2,400, so those quotes are within reason. Otherwise, if you're good with tools and have a buddy lend you a hand, you could saved $2,000.

Blown TOB can certainly cause engine not to run as it will bind the clutch pressure plate onto the transmission snout and that will bog it down so much that it will actually kill the engine, especially a 4 cylinder engine. We used to have them fail on big block 8 cylinder race cars (550 c.i.) and it would stop the engine dead.

Looks like my throw out bearing cracked my transmission case. My local Subaru mechanic quoted $3200 used or $5500 new. Installed and warranty.

What would you guys do?

Time to upgrade?

I running a Cobb Stage 2 tune.

Archived