LegacyGT.com

Test-drove 05 LGT differences in 06, 07?

bilzebub

Hi, I am looking to buy, either new or used, an LGT 5EAT, and was greatly impressed by the 2005 model i drove (dealer demo). I own a 2000 Outback, and man, the handling doesn't even feel like the same family of cars! I'm aware of the Si drive on the 2007, but is there any other changes that should influence my decision on whether to go for a cheaper 2005 or a brand new 2007? (I won't mod it in any way most likely).

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
i am also o purchasing the lgt. ive been looking for an 05' of a 2 year lease or somethign, well thats what im hoping for. now i have an 01 acura 3.2cl type s, but want awd. is the interior as nice as the acura? 4 door is a nice feature also, as opposed for the 2dr cl. overall what would you say? how is the comefort level?? thanks in advance

i am also o purchasing the lgt. ive been looking for an 05' of a 2 year lease or somethign, well thats what im hoping for. now i have an 01 acura 3.2cl type s, but want awd. is the interior as nice as the acura? 4 door is a nice feature also, as opposed for the 2dr cl. overall what would you say? how is the comefort level?? thanks in advance

"is the interior as nice as the acura?"

No, but it's close.

"overall what would you say? how is the comefort level??"

If being in a comfortable car is more important to you, stay in the Acura. If driving enjoyment is more important to you, get the LGT.

What's not good about the SI drive?

SI drive is not good or bad, its just there, kind of a gimmick. don't factor that into your purchase or let it distract you from more relevant differences between the 05,06,07.

if you are into modding for addl power, the most important thing to know is that there are several easy tuning options for the 05/06 cars but since subaru changed the ECU communications port technology on the 07s, tradition convinient ECU reflash tuning methods are not avail yet, so if you were planning on a quick turbo/downpipe/dyno tune mod right away, youre going to have to wait. for the 05/06 they are readily avail.

oh and i can't back this up, but my friend who owns an 06 sedan complains he has no rear folding seats while the 07s do.

and the 07s factory stereos are sat radio capable, its XM for now, but with the XM Sirius merger, i think owners will be able to get a combined service of channels so that wont be an issue soon. and the 07s come with an aux input for portable music players already built into the center console, the 05 and 06 owners have to do some mod work to install an aux input.

Ed

What's not good about the SI drive?

IMHO... it is kinda clunky looking in the center console.... and it always reverts back to the default mode.

I would want it to stay in the mode I select... until I select another mode.

A question to all the 05 and 06 owners, i need to clarify something so n00bs don't get confused and sidetracked when asking which model year to get:

1. Is SI Drive a bad feature, but otherwise the 07 is a good car to drive and own?

2. Does having SI drive make the 07s a bad car to drive and own and therefore WORSE than owning an 05 or 06?

I just read too many posts that boil down to:

'don't buy the 07, it has SI drive....' and im still trying to read between the lines and understand what that person is saying.

I agree that SI drive is not and should not be a selling point about the 07s; all the other things that the 07 has should be considered selling points.

Ed

More options = more problems. Si Drive is not good nor bad. Just that, you probably won't be using it that much to consider 07 model. Also, 05 looks a lot better in front then 07 - they changed it a little bit in 07. I didn't like the fog lights on 07. 05 model has projector fogs.

I don't think it's "Bad", Ed... I just don't want to reach down and turn the knob to Sport Sharp every time I start the car! ;)

but is that enough to say 'dont buy the car!' i get the distinct impression that ppl on the boards dislike the 07s because they actually perceive it to be a worse car than the 05s and 06s and that new additions actually hurt the car rather than help.

i wonder if ppl who wish to buy a new car (meaning 07 this year, until the 08s come out) feel trapped because the unanimous impression given by seasoned board members is 'the legacy GT was a good car until the 07 model year, then it went down the crapper, avoid at all costs!' and feel they have no choice but to buy a used 05 or 06 in order to get a properly working LGT.

More options = more problems. Si Drive is not good nor bad. Just that, you probably won't be using it that much to consider 07 model. Also, 05 looks a lot better in front then 07 - they changed it a little bit in 07. I didn't like the fog lights on 07. 05 model has projector fogs.

hmm, so basically if i removed the SI drive, heated seats, swapped out the 8 position memory power drivers seat for an older non memory seat, removed the nav, removed the sat radio capability, removed the aux input, get rid of the rear split folding seats and put in fixed non folding seats, changed the front headlamps and fogs to older version....

that would fix all the problems in 07 LGT and make the car worth recommending to a new buyer, and i no longer have to be ashamed of owning my car, in fact i could just claim i own an 05 or 06 and nobody would know my dirty little secret.

thanks, i understand now.

hmm, so basically if i removed the SI drive, heated seats, swapped out the 8 position memory power drivers seat for an older non memory seat, removed the nav, removed the sat radio capability, removed the aux input, get rid of the rear split folding seats and put in fixed non folding seats, changed the front headlamps and fogs to older version....

that would fix all the problems in 07 LGT and make the car worth recommending to a new buyer, and i no longer have to be ashamed of owning my car, in fact i could just claim i own an 05 or 06 and nobody would know my dirty little secret.

thanks, i understand now.

hm, 07 LGT comes with nav and memory seats? or are you confusing your 07 spec.B with 05-06 LGT? just trying to figure out, haven't really looked at all the specs for a new 07 LGT. AUX input and mp3 player is a cool feature. Those are the only things missing in my car. Sat ready, memory seats, Si drive - don't care about it. It's just the preference, relax. The poster was trying to get opinion from other ppl if Si drive was actually worth the extra money vs. 05 or 06. And for the record, I wouldn't buy the 07 just because they changed the front, added that Si drive (which looks like a copy of bmw's idrive) and makes heated seat switches look ridicules. Oh yeah, buttons around the radio (can't remember which ones) are changed as well and look a lot cheaper than in 05. Didn't like them.

hm, 07 LGT comes with nav and memory seats? or are you confusing your 07 spec.B with 05-06 LGT? just trying to figure out, haven't really looked at all the specs for a new 07 LGT. AUX input and mp3 player is a cool feature. Those are the only things missing in my car. Sat ready, memory seats, Si drive - don't care about it. It's just the preference, relax. The poster was trying to get opinion from other ppl if Si drive was actually worth the extra money vs. 05 or 06. And for the record, I wouldn't buy the 07 just because they changed the front, added that Si drive (which looks like a copy of bmw's idrive) and makes heated seat switches look ridicules. Oh yeah, buttons around the radio (can't remember which ones) are changed as well and look a lot cheaper than in 05. Didn't like them.

ok i understand, but please answer this question straightforward:

do you think the 2007s are bad cars and would you feel like youre doing someone wrong by suggesting it to a person?

Ed

thanks kenzo, i like comefort but i like driving the car also. i was thinking about the wrx but i figured step back a little on performance and get some more comefort for the car. also the 4 door is nice for having a useful backseat for people and other things. would you say is is a smooth ride or do you feel each and every crack in the pavement?? thanks again

Thanks for the info. So suffice it to say that the 07 is no better in any substantive way (drivability, fuel economy, reliability [my 2000 outback got caught up in an early model scare regarding head gaskets that was fixed several model years later]) but certainly no worse?

How are the seats? My prime concern about Subies, cos the 2000 leather seats sucked, basically decomposed after 2 years of driving it seemed, and it's hard to tell from a short test drive, though the 05 LGT leather actually seemed much better... but how are they on a long trip?

ok i understand, but please answer this question straightforward:

do you think the 2007s are bad cars and would you feel like youre doing someone wrong by suggesting it to a person?

Ed

Please stop making up things. Quote me where did I say 07 was a bad car?? The poster asked if it's worth extra money to consider 07 model. IMO, NO IT IS NOT!

Thanks for the info. So suffice it to say that the 07 is no better in any substantive way (drivability, fuel economy, reliability [my 2000 outback got caught up in an early model scare regarding head gaskets that was fixed several model years later]) but certainly no worse?

How are the seats? My prime concern about Subies, cos the 2000 leather seats sucked, basically decomposed after 2 years of driving it seemed, and it's hard to tell from a short test drive, though the 05 LGT leather actually seemed much better... but how are they on a long trip?

I would say the 07 Legacy GT is inititally more reliable the the 05 or 06 since it has the updated version of the VF40 Turbo. SOA made a change to fix some earlier reliablity problems.

If you're getting a turbo legacy, get an 07 or later.

I keed I keeed

Archived