LegacyGT.com

Tein Basic coilovers vs. Stock shocks w/ Ion springs

Scottybue

Got Ion springs about 9 months ago. I love the overall handling upgrade, but I feel like I'm slowing going crazy with the bouncing on the highway after bumps. There seems to be a horrible fight raging between the stock dampening capabilities and the higher spring rates of the Ions. Ideally, I would get Tein Flex's or better, but I'm stuck in the price range of the Tein Basics (ie. $800-ish).

So here lies the question: Are Tein Basics worth the upgrade over the Ions? Or are there shocks out there for the same price that would compliment the Ions? Please keep in mind that I won't be able to go for a track set-up since I live in Omaha with crappy roads and the wagon is my daily driver... Any suggestions?

now rocking the 2007 Mini Cooper S

Boost-

Most likely I'll move on the upgrade in about 3-4 months. Keep me informed about the MR coilovers, as they seem to be in line with what I'm looking for. I assume from other threads you have these on your sedan/wagon? Hopefully wagon, since I would love to see some pics of these on the car, and even the carpet patches cut out in the trunk. Do you get any "bouncing" issues at higher speeds? What about the camber adjustment? Will you still be able to do that price around the holidays?

Boost-

Most likely I'll move on the upgrade in about 3-4 months. Keep me informed about the MR coilovers, as they seem to be in line with what I'm looking for. I assume from other threads you have these on your sedan/wagon? Hopefully wagon, since I would love to see some pics of these on the car, and even the carpet patches cut out in the trunk. Do you get any "bouncing" issues at higher speeds? What about the camber adjustment? Will you still be able to do that price around the holidays?

I have a sedan, so I won't be able to help you out with installed pics on a wagon. I just sold a set to a guy with a wagon, so hopefully he will chime in with his impressions. I can't guarantee that pricing will remain the same, but I don't forsee any imminent changes.

I don't know if Boostjunkie is talking about me or rayu, but I bought a set for my wagon. After I get my MSI endlinks, I'll get them installed. You'll have to wait a month or two before I give any review about their ride quality. I can tell you the finish is really good. The simple addition of the brake line brackets is also an indication that some thought was put into these coilovers.

There are some slightly cheaper coilovers out there but for the money, you can't go wrong with the MR. Customer support is really what made me decide to get the MR over similarly priced coilovers.

I don't track my car, so I don't plan to cut any parts of my trunk floor panel. It's not that difficult to remove the panels to make any adjustments. It just takes a little bit longer. I hate the underdamped springy feel that lowering springs causes so that was the main reason that I decided on coilovers.

I also wanted the ability to set the ride height. In general, I think the Legacy GT wagon sits too low in the back relative to the front. A simple spring change wouldn't change that stance since most spring sets drop both the front and rear approximately the same.

Don't get the Tein Basic's. I don't think they have enough adjustment and they're not that much cheaper.

I don't track my car, so I don't plan to cut any parts of my trunk floor panel. It's not that difficult to remove the panels to make any adjustments. It just takes a little bit longer.

I tried to remove the panels in the rear of the wagon and it was next to impossible to remove.... it was much easier to make a hole above the coilover to make adjustments..... just my own experience...

Got Torque ?

I tried to remove the panels in the rear of the wagon and it was next to impossible to remove.... it was much easier to make a hole above the coilover to make adjustments..... just my own experience...

Do you have a picture? Did you make a hole in the side panel or the floor panel?

I haven't installed mine yet. I removed the floor panels today and noticed it's going to be tight. I can remove the bolts with a box end, but it looks like it will be very difficult to reach the damper adjustment without removing the side panels.

Regarding wagon fitment, Megan Racing lists a dampening knob extender on their website: http://www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=490&catid=107

http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/DSC03799x8.jpg

I can't find it in my pricing catalog, so it might be new. I'll check stock with them on Monday and get pricing for the wagon owners, as this will make your lives much easier.

They make 3 lengths. 110 mm (about 4.5"), 200 mm (about 7.75") and 250 mm (about 10"). Let me know which one will work best.

I vote for the Tokcio's as a nice suspension package.

If you track the car then I would go for low budget coil-overs, but I like the added ride comfort that some nice progressive springs and an adj shock allows.

When I added my iON springs it improved my suspension about 25%, then when I added Bilstien shocks I would say it oncreased by another 40%!:)

Do you have a picture? Did you make a hole in the side panel or the floor panel?

I haven't installed mine yet. I removed the floor panels today and noticed it's going to be tight. I can remove the bolts with a box end, but it looks like it will be very difficult to reach the damper adjustment without removing the side panels.

I think you would waste alot of time trying to remove the side panels....

like you said you can easily reach the bolts with a wrench to remove the struts and install the coilovers... but adjusting will be next to impossible without making a hole...i want to put some kind of trim or gromet over the holes i made... but im in no rush... i'll try to snap a pic tommorow for ya

Got Torque ?

With the MR's, will i be able to lift the butt up?

Oh... nice wagon color and rims.

BTW, this is exactly why I didn't get lowering springs. Even stock, the rear end is lower than the front end. :iam:

I plan to drop the car so that the distance from the ground to the top of the fender opening is about 25.5 inches all around.

Does anyone have that setup? Tokicos with Ions? How much drop and how's the ride?

Brothers rodan and Boulderguy - posts 155 through 159 on this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38935&page=11&highlight=boulderguy

Note, though, that there's currently a JDM vs. USDM top-hat issue with the Tokicos.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Oh... nice wagon color and rims.

BTW, this is exactly why I didn't get lowering springs. Even stock, the rear end is lower than the front end. :iam:

I plan to drop the car so that the distance from the ground to the top of the fender opening is about 25.5 inches all around.

That's pretty much my plan, too. I just want a stance that's more aggressive than stock, yet utilitarian.

• 1 month later...
Hmm so tokio struts/springs would be better suited for mostly daily driving and some track duty(better ride yet with adjustability). But if you are really into tracking your car a set of cheaper coilovers (tein basic or mr coilovers) would be a better path.

Hmm so tokio struts/springs would be better suited for mostly daily driving and some track duty(better ride yet with adjustability). But if you are really into tracking your car a set of cheaper coilovers (tein basic or mr coilovers) would be a better path.

Not that it's gospel, but that was my reasoning for going with Tokico/Ion's.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived