LegacyGT.com

Tail lights intermittently not working. Replace parking light switch?

First time poster, long time reader.

1997 Legacy GT

Tail lights work sometimes and not others. Is there a switch in the steering column that may need to be replaced?

Fuses are good.

Is there a relay that I should be checking under the hood in the box?

BTW, I just had the viscous solonoid replaced if anyone has any questions about that.

Yes, the brake lights still work. The problem seems to be when I have the parking light switch on the steering column in the ON position. When it's ON, I can tap the switch and the tail lights will flicker on and off. I was pulled over for no tail lights the other day and I believe the parking light switch was on. I'm not sure if the problem occurs when the parking switch is turned OFF though, they seem to be working when it is OFF.

If you can tap the switch and they flicker I would assume it is the switch which would mean you need to replace the combination switch. Def wait until someone else comments before you try to do that though!

I'm having the same problem just no flickering on mine. I went through with a multimeter and checked every single fuse in the car. Nothing wrong with any of them. The parking light switch does nothing on or off in my car. Headlights work fine and brake lights also work as they should. Just no tail lights at all and I don't know where to start looking now to solve the problem. I also replaced the bulbs in the back just to make sure they weren't burnt out. Still nothing. Any ideas here?

• 4 years later...

Archived