LegacyGT.com

Suspension replacment

Hey yall,

I bought a 93 Subaru legacy in Portland for 800 dollars back in August, 213000 miles. It was in really good shape so I bought it on the spot, and continued to drive it all over Californias back roads and across the country to Ohio. I just replaced the clutch as it finally went out, and now I want to fix up the suspension. I've noticed there are no options for complete strut/spring assembly for this generation as there are for newer generations.

I am wondering if I would be able to buy a Quick Complete Strut & Spring Assembly for a newer generation such as listed Here and replace my origional top hats onto them and fit them to my subaru, or if I am going to have to buy the new struts and springs seperatly and have someone more mechanically experienced replace them for me.

I bought a 91 legacy and it needed all new struts; and I wanted more of a lift. So I found that you can buy struts on eBay for an outback (96-99) just guessing and it will give you about 2 inches in the front and 3in the rear of lift. That new struts and reusing the old springs and top hats. I bought 98 outback struts.0c27988acb240774c7e6037fe2e0e584.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! The subaru looks amazing, I def wouldn't mind the lift on my car as I often am driving over crazy roads and the extra clearance would be great.

Would you think I could buy outback (96-99) struts that have the springs already loaded in the complete assembly and install them after only changing the top hats from my original car. The main reason I want to do this is to make it easier. I have been told it's dangerous trying to compress the springs to load them onto new struts, and I would most likely need to take her to the mechanic to get it done, whereas I am trying to do it myself.

Thanks!

If you're going to change the top hats you will have to do the dangerous part anyway. The original Springs from the Legacy are taller than the springs that you will get with the Outback struts so go ahead just buy the struts and then put your Springs and your top hats on it same amount of work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Archived