LegacyGT.com

sunroof rattle

grapela

Went to the dealer yesterday to have my sunroof shade looked at, it rattles constantly when the sunroof is in the full open position. It never did this all last year, sounds like a marble is floating around in there everytime I go over rough surfaces. Dealer called the tech line they said they have had complaints but do not have a fix yet. Anybody have any idea how to stop it from rattling. Im dying

i have a slight one that seems to be the piece between the sunroof and the apholstered shade piece it just started about a month ago and its driving me nuts so i gotta find out what it is and fix it soon

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

i have a slight one that seems to be the piece between the sunroof and the apholstered shade piece it just started about a month ago and its driving me nuts so i gotta find out what it is and fix it soon

That better describes my noise, as well....

what do you think it is... it drives me nuts i wanna fix it quick!!

It sounds to me like the wire for the dome light is bouncing around loose and hitting the top of the dome light.... but I only hear it with the sunroof open.

I have tried to pull the dome light down to check it, but couldn't get it to pull free of the headliner. I took the screw out... but still no go.

See i get it open and closed sunroof but i always leave that sunroof light shied thingy (and sure that can be the technical term) open cause i have double 5% tint on it and i feel better with it open.

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

Are you folks in wagons or sedans? I'm in a wagon.

I've got a bit of a rattle coming from (I think) the sunroof shade as well. It's only when the road surface is a bit rough and it's not real bad just enough to be annoying. It seems to stop when I pull the shade back about 5 or 6 in.

Also, noticing some rattles starting in the plastic around the shifter.

-Ian

I have the moon roof rattle problem and "squeaking" around the cupholder area next to the shifter. There's a thread on putting up some felt on the sides of the moon roof near the front to provide some additional pressure to help stop the rattle (the thread explains it well). Not sure what to do on the cupholder.

I've got a bit of a rattle coming from (I think) the sunroof shade as well. It's only when the road surface is a bit rough and it's not real bad just enough to be annoying. It seems to stop when I pull the shade back about 5 or 6 in.

-Ian

-Ian

Sedan Here

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

• 2 weeks later...
Lot's of LGT sunroof's have this problem. I fixed this very easily with a few strategically placed pieces of felt tape (get the kind that is used for the bottom of furniture at Home Depot or any hardware store) along the front of the sunroof and the sides. Put in on the rubber fitting that goes along the sunroof opening. The color matches perfectly, can't even see it, and the rattle is gone.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I have the same rattle when the sunroof is open, it almose sounds like a metal on metal rattle. Anyway..in my case, the problem isn't the sun shade, it is the sunroof itself. If you grab the sunroof, while in the open position and quickly shake it, the rattle is reproduced. I guess when we hit bumps it shakes the sunroof and the rattle is heard.

I need to go to the dealer to get it fixed now.. :(

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Went to the dealer today because the sunroof shade was doing the whole squeak, creak, rattle thing and driving me absolutely nuts. They took a look at it and since I'm still under warranty they're like "Well we don't know a good way to fix this so we'll just replace the whole damn thing." So I'm all, “Cool give me a call when the parts are in,” and that was that.
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Chiming in with sunroof rattle on a wagon. Open or closed, sometimes it will rattle, sometimes it won't. putting pressure on the underside of the shade will completely stop all of the rattling. I would guess that if the shade were thicker and fit in the tracks firmer, it wouldn't rattle almost at all, but it would be a little harder to slide.

• 2 weeks later...
Update on the sunroof. I got the car back from the dealer yesterday with a new sunroof shade. It seems to be the source of the rattles and creaking. When I bought my car brand new from the dealer the shade wasn't nearly as tight as it is now. You could push it back about halfway and fling it to full open from there when it was new. Now you actually have to use force to get it open. There are no creaks or rattles anymore and it was all covered under warranty. Only problem now is I'm starting to notice other noises in the car.:redface:
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Get some bike chain lube apply it sparingly to the grooves that the sun shade slides in. Rattle gone. I tried the felt pieces it stop the rattling for a couple weeks.

My theory is the plasitc grooves get dry and when the little piece of black plastic that slides in the track rubs it squeaks.

Chain lube = problem solved.

However if i lay into in 2nd or third the shade slides open maybe 2 inches. better then the squeaks imho.

• 4 weeks later...

This drove me crazy as well. The dealer gave me the standard response of not being able to replicate the noise on the test drive. After several tries, I finally decided to look into it myself. There is friction between the rubber bushing on the sunshade and the anodized aluminum track that it slides in. These two materials are incompatible.

To fix the noise, I used silicone spray lubricant about 5 months ago. The noise has not come back yet. But like sgeorge says...when you goose it, your sunshade can come open a couple of inches...

• 3 months later...

I had a noisy sunroof too. Easy fix. But this might not be the source for everyone. Anyway, make sure to check the arms that automatically pull the shade open. Each side has a tab that can come loose. If just one tab comes loose, it functions properly but the remaining arm is left to vibrate over rough roads.

The tab slides in just as easily as it obviously came loose.

Archived