LegacyGT.com

Subaru Regal Blue touch up paint is not even close...

Does this look like a good paint match to you?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02732.jpg

That is from the offiical Regal Blue touch up paint I got at the dealership. The bottle says Subaru on the label and everything. If that is the level of paint match you can expect from other colors then I would suggest you avoid it. It is much much much too light blue to even be considered close. I tried to photograph it at every angle and in every light, but this shows the difference the best. Anyone with eyes that work can tell that it isn't the same color.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Are there any batch numbers on the paint? I would request a replacement, hopefully from another batch. If a second sample is still off that much I would not consider it acceptable. It does almost look like atlantic blue.

I just put another swipe over it just to see what happens. It matches much better with two coats. I'll need to see it in the daylight though. I'm still going to need to flatten it out and start over again most likely anyway.

OCDETAILS BLOG

hmmmm.... I would be careful who you give the VIN number out to. I seriously doubt that has anything to do with the color of the car other than perhaps confirming the color you told them was true.

I'll be buying paint from them too for some painting projects I've got lined up. I like that you can get spray paint from them too. Very good people. I've done business with them before and even have them linked on OCDetails.com.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I don't know if it could happen with our chipped keys, but there was a craze a couple years ago around here where people were getting keys cut for Integras just off the VIN. There was a dealership in Salt Lake that was taking VINs and just taking the bearer at their word that it was their car and they lost their keys. I started covering the visible VIN on my dash to prevent that kind of thing from happening to me. Seems like it is an important number and I wouldn't want it to get out I don't think.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Does this look like a good paint match to you?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02732.jpg

That is from the offiical Regal Blue touch up paint I got at the dealership. The bottle says Subaru on the label and everything. If that is the level of paint match you can expect from other colors then I would suggest you avoid it. It is much much much too light blue to even be considered close. I tried to photograph it at every angle and in every light, but this shows the difference the best. Anyone with eyes that work can tell that it isn't the same color.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I can imagine how tweaked you got when you put that on. Laughter aside, never trust that shit and when taking your car to a body shop, make sure they match the color correctly, see the pic below and the drivers side fender compared to the bumper and hood (this pic speaks no justice to how bad it is). Thankfully the next time I go home for a long break they will be fixing it :rolleyes:

DSC00680.thumb.jpg.d8cb8ea91e1366f743e5e3abe3bd4ec4.jpg

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I don't know if it could happen with our chipped keys, but there was a craze a couple years ago around here where people were getting keys cut for Integras just off the VIN. There was a dealership in Salt Lake that was taking VINs and just taking the bearer at their word that it was their car and they lost their keys. I started covering the visible VIN on my dash to prevent that kind of thing from happening to me. Seems like it is an important number and I wouldn't want it to get out I don't think.

It is funny you mention that, i was threatend a ticket once because my vin was covered up by my dash cover, aparently it is illegal not to have it visiable. So all someone has to do is walk up to your car in a parking lot and get your vin, and then with some social engineering could get a key made.

Yeah it is illegal to cover the dash vin in most states, yet the instructions for the dept of defense stickers you put on privately owned vehicles state to put it in the lower left corner... Then again window tint on the front two in IL is illegal but I have yet to be pulled over for it (on the 05gt or my 002.5rs).
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

I dont know what body shops used, but when I had my entire rear bumper of my 05 LGT wagon replaced, the Regal Blue Pearl color was spot on. I dont think they get it painted from an OEM supplier, so I guess the problem is with the specific touch up paint?

I've used touch up paint from http://www.color-rite.com/ in the past (not on the Subie but other vehicles) and the match was perfect.

I ordered paint from www.paintscratch.com in Regal Blue to do my DIY grill.

I will let you know how close that matches.

Then even ask you for your VIN so they can get an exact match. Who knows how they do that but.....we'll see

Lots of stuff is illegal that the cops could care less about. If they want to cite me for covering up my VIN then go for it. I've been covering it up for 10 years now and nobody has ever said anything about it. I didn't even know there was a law against it. Seems like a stupid law if you ask me. What possible reason would make it illegal to cover the VIN on my own car? I just shove a business card over it and that does the trick. It's not like I'm painting it or scratching it out.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Uh oh, I just bought a tube of that touch up paint from my dealership, regal blue. I got a little chip back near my drivers side tail light. I was thinking of putting a little of the touch up paint on a piece of plastic or something just to see how it looked before hitting the car. After reading this I know I'll be doing that.

Scott

Just go real thin on the first coat so that the second coat doesn't build up too much. The match is much better since I put the second coat on. The build is way to high though.

OCDETAILS BLOG

i ran into somewhat of the same problem maybe 2 weeks back. put 2 coats of that touch up. the chip came out darker than the rest of the area around the chip. i did a search and found out that depending on the color it may come out lighter or darker because it has metalic in the paint. because you are touching up, the metalic flakes settle to the bottom or the brush pushes the metalic to the bottom making it darker or lighter. to do it correctly, it is best to spray on rather than touch up.

Archived