LegacyGT.com

Subaru Legacy Reliability

adonis

The non-turbo are reliable. Tubos of the 2005-2009 vintage should be treated with skepticism, but are not inherently unreliable if maintained. I have 180k on mine and it's the original turbo and engine as far as I can tell. At this point, a catastrophic engine failure on one of the older 4th gens would put you between a rock and a hard spot due to the present value of a used car versus an almost equal cost of engine replacement (assuming a new shortblock build vs. used engine).

We have two 2.5 non-turbo 2007 Subarus in my family and both have had head gasket jobs.

Subarus are generally reliable, but they're not as problem-free as a Honda or Toyota. If the 2.5 naturally aspirated engine is what you're after then ask if it has overheated or had head gaskets done, and if you can physically look under the car and check then even better. Other than that yes, Subarus are pretty reliable. I'm at 116k now and have changed a coil pack, 2 wheel bearings, 2 axles, and typical bushings/suspension wear after 100k. It's probably more than most people would put up with. Our Forester is at 138k and is solid.

Nobody should buy a pre-owned car without looking underneath, or bring someone who knows what they're checking for.

Some of it depends on how miles of reliability you are looking for. Do you want it to go 150K, 200k, 250k miles, etc? The H6 become an annoyance oil leaker at higher miles just not head gaskets. Many owners ignore the oil leaks because the time involved repairing all the leaks. Subaru changed the 2.5i head gasket material in 2010 and the 2.5i no longer has the oil leaking the 4th Gen 2.5i had (with most 4th Gen being 10 years old, the 2.5i headgasket is more of a maintenance repair.)

My 06 GT lost a turbo at 75k, bone stock. Ended up with a warranty replaced engine+turbo at the same time. Not counting issues that the dealer gave me from the install, it's actually been pretty reliable. Oem turbo failed at 75k, oem TMIC popped at 95k(stage 1 tune), TOB failed at 103k.

If I were to buy another 05-09, or keep mine til 200k I'd invest in a VF52, catless UP and a safer tune before putting any serious mileage on it.

And never buy one that has a new turbo unless the engine was replaced at the same time, OR they replaced turbo to be safe rather than necessary. Once the stock turbo lets go the engine can get LOTS of metal shavings in it.

The H6 become an annoyance oil leaker at higher miles just not head gaskets. Many owners ignore the oil leaks because the time involved repairing all the leaks.

What millage are we talking here and what seals are the issue?

I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5i N/A. I will be crossing the 200k mile mark either tonight or tomorrow and the vehicle has been solid. Aside from routine maintenance and an issue with the Torque Converter (Subaru issued an Extended Warranty, no mileage limit for these) I have had zero issues with the vehicle and it has been incredibly reliable.

I had 180k on my 05 2.5i wgn

Usually front suspension wear with LCAs, front struts, rear upper control arm and two wheel bearings at 150k. 3 out of 4 door lock actuators failed and replaced at 130k. Drivers side window motor replaced at 120k. Rear hatch handle needed to be replaced, never got around to it, it was sticky and probably just needed lube.

Work that needed to be done....Head gasket needed to be done, it was leaking (weeping actually) from the passengerside bank. Rack and pinion needed to be replaced because of internal clunking and the cat back pipe needed to be replaced because of a leak at the Y split, all stuff I could live with for awhile longer.

The car was due for a timing belt change, I had it scheduled to do in 5k, never made it :( T belt broke and engine was toast. If the timing belt had not gone id still have that car and id have fixed everything above and kept it going. First t belt change was at 90k. Looking back I wish that I had bought genuine Subaru replacement t-belt parts for it back then. Id probably still have that car.

Make absolutely sure the t-belt has been done prior to purchase. If they cant show you a receipt or proof, walk away or factor it into the price a bit and do it. Same goes for the head gasket, slip under the car and look at the passenger side engine under-surface by the oil filter, cleaning it wont help it will show :)

If you hear a clunk putting car in drive or reverse it may be the tranny mount, notorious but a relatively easy fix. Loud suspension squeek in back could very well be upper control arms, the one that looks like a dog leg, spray the ends with wd40 it will quiet down immediately, change it out.

Thats all :) Not bad for a daily driver on some of the worst roads in the nation. NY 5 boroughs FTW :) Like I said id still have it if it wasnt for the t belt :( My wife and I loved that Legacy so much, it never left us stranded, we picked up a 2018 sedan 2 weeks ago. If only they brought back the wagon :)

I had a 08 Legacy 2.5i, had the head gasket issue, I pulled the motor, replaced many parts, and then drove it and sold it. Car is still on the road today.

I love the 2013 legacy 2.5i, it's chain driven which means no timing belt to change, just the other belt. So far we have 72K on the car and plan to change the CVT fluid out with Amsoil's CVT, car should run very long time. I already have Amsoil SS oil in the motor, and it lube the chain.

car runs much better with this oil, but I have used Amsoil in all my subies. turbo and non. Just take care of the car and run good products.

I had a 08 Legacy 2.5i, had the head gasket issue, I pulled the motor, replaced many parts, and then drove it and sold it. Car is still on the road today.

I love the 2013 legacy 2.5i, it's chain driven which means no timing belt to change, just the other belt. So far we have 72K on the car and plan to change the CVT fluid out with Amsoil's CVT, car should run very long time. I already have Amsoil SS oil in the motor, and it lube the chain.

car runs much better with this oil, but I have used Amsoil in all my subies. turbo and non. Just take care of the car and run good products.

===========================

At what mileage did you need the head gaskets done.

i did mine at 193k miles, they were leaking oil, and it never overheated on me. It's not really a mileage thing. if you look in the right places and its clean but never been done its probably good, even better if you find one that's already been done though. the vehicle above was an 02 legacy ej251 and now has 245k miles and i have a 09 ej253 with 170k miles that has never had head gaskets done and isn't leaking nearly as much as the ej251 did when it had similar mileage.

the ej22e is still quieter than both those vehicles, is non interference , and never had HG issues.

Archived