LegacyGT.com

Subaru Expands and Strengthens Legacy® and Outback® Lines for 2006

gt_ltd

http://www.subaru.com/common/news/index.jsp

Subaru Expands and Strengthens Legacy® and Outback® Lines for 2006

* IMPROVED PERFORMANCE FOR 2006 WITH NEW 2.5i POWERTRAIN

* NEW 2.5i MOST POWERFUL PZEV ENGINE OFFERED IN U.S.

* OUTBACK LINE ADDS THIRD SIX-CYLINDER WAGON AND NEW L.L.BEAN EDITION SEDAN

CHERRY HILL, N.J., August 4, 2005 - Subaru of America, Inc. expands and strengthens its Legacy and Outback model lines for 2006. Improved fuel economy, power, performance, and feature content enhance the already best-selling All-Wheel Drive cars sold in America today.

Subaru has long been recognized among other automakers by the Environmental Protection Agency for producing cleaner vehicles. All 2006 Subaru Legacy and Outback models with 2.5-liter engines distributed for sale in California (and in Northeast states which have adopted California Specification Emission Control Systems and are registered for use in those states) are specially equipped to meet the California Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV credited SULEV2) requirements. The 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder Subaru Boxer engine in all 2006 Legacy and Outback 2.5i and 2.5i Limited models offers more performance for 2006. The addition of the i-Active Valve Lift system boosts horsepower to 175 from 168 previously, and peak torque is increased to 169 lb.-ft. from 166 lb.-ft. Unlike most PZEV compliant engines, the new version of the 2.5-liter Subaru Boxer engine delivers zero emissions with no loss in horsepower. The 2.5-liter Subaru Boxer engine that produces 175 horsepower makes the 2006 Subaru Legacy and Outback the most powerful PZEV vehicles available in the U.S. market.

2006 Subaru Legacy Model Line

The 2006 Legacy models are among the most powerful and best-equipped cars in their segment - and still the only models in the segment offering Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive as standard equipment.

The 2006 Legacy 2.5i models gain a more powerful engine, standard 17-inch alloy wheels (replacing 16-inch alloy wheels), larger brakes, an air filtration system and an engine immobilizer security feature. The new 2006 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan and Wagon models feature a standard 8-way power driver's seat and power moonroof at a value price.

Other enhancements to the Subaru Legacy line reflect shifting customer trends. The Legacy 2.5i Limited models now feature as standard equipment a four-speed automatic transmission with SPORTSHIFT control. The luxuriously equipped Legacy 2.5 GT Limited Sedan and Wagon models continue, while the 2.5 GT models, which had featured cloth-trimmed seating and lower equipment content, are discontinued. The 2.5 GT Limited Wagon is now exclusively equipped with a five-speed adaptive automatic transmission with SPORTSHIFT, while the 2.5 GT Limited Sedan continues to offer a choice between the five-speed manual or five-speed automatic.

In addition, the new Subaru Navigation System will be available on several 2006 Legacy models. The DVD-based navigation system uses a seven-inch touch screen panel in the center dash. The navigation system's integrated trip computer replaces the trip computer that's standard in all Legacy models.

The 2006 Subaru Legacy line ranges in price from $20,074 for the manual transmission Legacy 2.5i Sedan to $29,425 for the top of the line, automatic transmission Legacy 2.5 GT Limited Sedan with navigation system.

2006 Subaru Outback Model Line

Two new Subaru Outback models have been added for 2006. The Outback line adds a third six-cylinder wagon model, the Outback 3.0R, and the Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Edition Sedan replaces the Outback 3.0R Sedan to join the Outback L.L.Bean Edition Wagon. In both the Legacy and Outback lines, the 250-horsepower turbocharged / intercooled engine is now available only in the Limited models.

The new 2006 Outback 3.0R Wagon brings the performance of the high-end six-cylinder Outback models to a more accessible price point. This model builds on the extensive standard equipment of the four-cylinder Outback 2.5i model and in addition adds a dual-zone automatic climate control system and leather-trimmed steering wheel.

The new Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Edition Sedan brings the luxury and exclusive features of the L.L.Bean Edition Wagon to a sport sedan package. All Outback 3.0R models are exclusively powered by a 3.0-liter DOHC six-cylinder Subaru Boxer engine that produces 250-horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 219 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,200 rpm.

The Outback 2.5 XT Limited is now the sole Outback model powered by the 250-horsepower turbocharged/intercooled four-cylinder Subaru Boxer engine. The Outback 2.5 XT, which had featured cloth-trimmed seating and lower equipment content, has been discontinued.

For 2006, the Outback 2.5i and 2.5i Limited join the Outback 3.0R models in providing standard 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 R17 tires (replacing 16-inch alloy wheels). As on the Legacy 2.5i models, the Outback 2.5i models gain a standard air filtration system and engine immobilizer security feature.

The flagship Outback model, the 3.0R VDC Limited Wagon, adds the Subaru Navigation System as standard equipment. The navigation system is offered as an option on the Outback 2.5 XT Limited and the Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Edition models. The navigation system's integrated trip computer replaces the trip computer that's standard on all Outback models.

Outback models provide generous ground clearance comparable to many SUVs - 8.7 inches for the Outback 2.5 XT Limited and 8.4 inches for all others.

Pricing on the 2006 Subaru Outback line ranges from $22,897 for the manual transmission Outback 2.5i Wagon to $32,791 for the fully-equipped Outback 3.0R VDC Limited Wagon with automatic transmission and navigation system.

Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive

All Subaru models are equipped with Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive as standard equipment, providing traction and handling advantages over front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive vehicles.

All Outback 3.0R models and all turbocharged Legacy and Outback models with the five-speed automatic transmission feature the Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) version of the system. Exclusive to the flagship Outback 3.0R VDC Limited is Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), an advanced stability system that controls VTD operation and integrates an electronic four-wheel traction control system, as well.

All versions of Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive power all four wheels all the time, and will transfer more power to the wheels with the best grip should slippage occur.

All 2006 Legacy and Outback models are equipped with standard front seat side impact air bags and side curtain air bags that offer additional head protection for front and rear occupants. The Subaru Advanced Airbag System uses sensors to detect the presence and weight of a front passenger and also the driver's distance from the steering wheel. All Subaru Legacy and Outback models provide the peace of mind of a four-wheel disc Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD).

Destination and delivery charges are $625 for all 2005 model year vehicles (Alaska deliveries are $775). Legacy and Outback four-cylinder models (excluding turbo) that meet Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) requirements will be available to dealers in California, New England States, New York and some bordering states. The base MSRP of the PZEV/ SULEV2 models are $200 higher than the federal specification model. Following is the complete price chart for all 2006 Subaru Legacy and Outback models:

2006 Subaru Legacy and Outback Models

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices

Model Description 2006 MY MSRP*

LEGACY SEDANS

Legacy 2.5i Sedan - MT5 $20,074

Legacy 2.5i Sedan - 4EAT-S $20,986

Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan - MT5 $20,348

Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan - 4EAT-S $21,260

Legacy 2.5i Ltd. Sedan - 4EAT-S $23,322

Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd. Sedan - MT5 $26,507

Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd. Sedan - 5EAT-S $27,601

Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd Sedan w/ NAVI-5EAT-S $29,425

LEGACY WAGONS

Legacy 2.5i Wagon - MT5 $20,986

Legacy 2.5i Wagon - 4EAT-S $21,898

Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Wagon - MT5 $21,442

Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Wagon - 4EAT-S $22,354

Legacy 2.5i Ltd. Wagon - 4EAT-S $24,416

Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd. Wagon - 5EAT-S $28,695

OUTBACK SEDANS

Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Sedan - 5EAT-S $28,783

Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Sedan w/ NAVI - 5EAT-S $30,606

OUTBACK WAGONS

Outback 2.5i Wagon - MT5 $22,897

Outback 2.5i Wagon - 4EAT-S $23,809

Outback 2.5i Ltd. Wagon - MT5 $25,415

Outback 2.5i Ltd. Wagon - 4EAT-S $26,327

Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. Wagon - MT5 $28,510

Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. Wagon - 5EAT-S $29,604

Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. Wagon w/ NAVI - 5EAT-S $31,427

Outback 3.0R Wagon - 5EAT-S $26,721

Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Wagon - 5EAT-S $29,875

Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Wagon w/ NAVI - 5EAT-S $31,698

Outback 3.0R VDC Ltd. Wagon w/ NAVI - 5EAT-S $32,791

*The destination and delivery fee is $625 on all models except in Alaska ($775). Prices shown do not include destination and delivery charges, licenses and state or local taxes. Independent distributor's destination and delivery rates may vary; prices are subject to change without notice. Legacy and Outback four-cylinder models (excluding turbo) that meet Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) requirements will be available to dealers in California, New England States, New York and some bordering states. The base MSRP of the PZEV/ SULEV2 models are $200 higher than the federal specification model

About Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes all-wheel drive Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of nearly 600 dealers across the United States. Subaru is the only car company that features symmetrical all-wheel drive as standard equipment on every vehicle in its product line.

This Space For Rent

Still BS choices. No NAVI + MT, and no Wagon GT and MT?!? You can get a 2.5i wagon in a MT, but not a GT???

I know one guy that was looking at either the Forester or the Legacy after being really impressed with my car. His only main points were that he wanted Navi and a manual. After finding out he couldn't get that in any Subaru, he just said "Oh well, I guess I'll get a Lexus."

*sigh* When will SoA learn?

Yeah, I did a double take on those MSRPs for the GT Ltd. Wgn! I wonder how wide a release that incorrect press release saw? Someone WILL be in trouble.

I'm about to buy an '06. Of course I saw the new pricing at least 2 weeks ago. Wouldn't a big price drop be nice?!

I was planning for the 5EAT GT Ltd. Wgn. anyway, so I don't mind the loss of avail 5MT. But what I am a bit worried about (though no official confirmation seen from SOA) is that the Atlantic Blue Pearl GT may only be available with Taupe leather and not the Charcoal/Blk. I have kids, plus I don't like the taupe, and my '00 GT and '03 GT wagons (both leased while I waited for the year of the turbo) both had the faux wood which I have tired of.

But I really do not want to have to buy another silver car just to get the black leather (Sube silver isw so boring anyway), and a black car is out of the question where I live (100+ summers and dusty roads).

Still BS choices. No NAVI + MT, and no Wagon GT and MT?!? You can get a 2.5i wagon in a MT, but not a GT???

I know one guy that was looking at either the Forester or the Legacy after being really impressed with my car. His only main points were that he wanted Navi and a manual. After finding out he couldn't get that in any Subaru, he just said "Oh well, I guess I'll get a Lexus."

*sigh* When will SoA learn?

+1 for the BS options..

And those prices don't look right to me though...Could anyone confirm those pls???

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Is the title of this thread (I assume it is from the press release) a damn joke?

Expands and Strengthens??? And people wonder why no-one trusts marketing or the media...

If it were truthful, the adjectives would be "neutered and marginalized"

How is dropping options right and left a positive, and "strengthening" move. How is subtracting combinations acting to "expand" the line? Last time I heard, subtraction was not addition.

->snip

Following is the complete price chart for all 2006 Subaru Legacy and Outback models:

2006 Subaru Legacy and Outback Models

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices

Model Description 2006 MY MSRP*

LEGACY SEDANS

Legacy 2.5i Sedan - MT5 $20,074

Legacy 2.5i Sedan - 4EAT-S $20,986

Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan - MT5 $20,348

Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan - 4EAT-S $21,260

Legacy 2.5i Ltd. Sedan - 4EAT-S $23,322

Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd. Sedan - MT5 $26,507

Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd. Sedan - 5EAT-S $27,601

Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd Sedan w/ NAVI-5EAT-S $29,425

LEGACY WAGONS

Legacy 2.5i Wagon - MT5 $20,986

Legacy 2.5i Wagon - 4EAT-S $21,898

Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Wagon - MT5 $21,442

Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Wagon - 4EAT-S $22,354

Legacy 2.5i Ltd. Wagon - 4EAT-S $24,416

Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd. Wagon - 5EAT-S $28,695

OUTBACK SEDANS

Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Sedan - 5EAT-S $28,783

Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Sedan w/ NAVI - 5EAT-S $30,606

OUTBACK WAGONS

Outback 2.5i Wagon - MT5 $22,897

Outback 2.5i Wagon - 4EAT-S $23,809

Outback 2.5i Ltd. Wagon - MT5 $25,415

Outback 2.5i Ltd. Wagon - 4EAT-S $26,327

Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. Wagon - MT5 $28,510

Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. Wagon - 5EAT-S $29,604

Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. Wagon w/ NAVI - 5EAT-S $31,427

Outback 3.0R Wagon - 5EAT-S $26,721

Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Wagon - 5EAT-S $29,875

Outback 3.0R L.L.Bean Wagon w/ NAVI - 5EAT-S $31,698

Outback 3.0R VDC Ltd. Wagon w/ NAVI - 5EAT-S $32,791

*The destination and delivery fee is $625 on all models except in Alaska ($775). Prices shown do not include destination and delivery charges, licenses and state or local taxes.

This doesn't match Jedi's figures...

I hope SOA is right about the pricing, because the base price of the GT 5MT is lower than an 05 GT Ltd. 5MT, and almost as low as a 05 Base GT 5MT.

You mean to tell me that SOA can't even get the prices right in it's own PRESS RELEASE???

Is there anything they are doing right, administratively?

If All of that is true (which everything seems to point to as being true) and I'd have to shell out more than 28k for a 5MT Sedan, and can't get it in blue with a black interior, then the last option is for a Spec B, even though It will probably be a stretch financially, and I would rather not pay for the NAV. And if my wife vetos the silver paint, then I'm out. She definitely vetos a wagon.

I hope somebody will be selling an '05 RBP GT Limited Sedan with black interior and a 5MT, because that is it.

I have yet to see that SOA can make a really correct decision to gain my sale of a new legacy at this point.

The truly sad part, and perhaps indicative, is that there really isn't much of any competition offering an alternative. AWD is either several thousand dollars more (A4, G35, et. al.) and out of my price range, or FWD based, or no manual trans available, or several of the above. So it isn't as if I can vote with my feet, and buy the competition. I'll have to buy used.

You mean to tell me that SOA can't even get the prices right in it's own PRESS RELEASE???

Is there anything they are doing right, administratively?

If All of that is true (which everything seems to point to as being true) and I'd have to shell out more than 28k for a 5MT Sedan, and can't get it in blue with a black interior, then the last option is for a Spec B, even though It will probably be a stretch financially, and I would rather not pay for the NAV. And if my wife vetos the silver paint, then I'm out. She definitely vetos a wagon.

I hope somebody will be selling an '05 RBP GT Limited Sedan with black interior and a 5MT, because that is it.

I have yet to see that SOA can make a really correct decision to gain my sale of a new legacy at this point.

The truly sad part, and perhaps indicative, is that there really isn't much of any competition offering an alternative. AWD is either several thousand dollars more (A4, G35, et. al.) and out of my price range, or FWD based, or no manual trans available, or several of the above. So it isn't as if I can vote with my feet, and buy the competition. I'll have to buy used.

The Mazda Ultraspeed may be of interest to you when it appears...it's their jump into the AWD market, but the car is supposed to be reasonably priced, compared with the Audis, the BMWs and the Acura RL. I think I read the Ultraspeed will be released in the fall...could be wrong.

Do you mean Mazdaspeed 6?

Been over that, discussed it. Nah. Ugly bodykit and hood, not the preferable (for me) 5-door sedan bodystyle, and the AWD is FWD until the haldex system decides to let the rear wheels assist, and from the sounds of it, still breaks $30k fairly easily. There are at least 3 big strikes in there.

The FWD-based haldex AWD is what also disqualifies Ford, Volvo, Jag X type, and all the other ford-family and transverse-engine Audi/VW cars.

No FWD for me. If I wanted mostly-2-wheel-drive, I'd buy RWD for performance. Rear-wheel-assist being called AWD doesn't cut it, because I want AWD for more than just slick surface driving. the other contender, the A4 Quattro is many thousands of dollars more for significantly less power. the G35x is Automatic only. No thanks.

I know I am being too demanding, but we are talking tens of thousands of dollars, and unless I miraculously become wealthy, about half a decade of financing, and even longer ownership. I have to be very particular about what I am going to dedicate that much of my earning power toward. The Legacy GT comes SOOO close, if they would just not make such bonehead moves...

gt_ltd,

I know that invoice price is attainable, but the thing is, without the options that I want to buy as I rant about above, why should I buy new and give SOA my money? Why not let someone else take the depreciation, and I'll sacrifice a few of the beginning miles, and save some serious coin for upgrades, or other things to make the car "right." It sounds like Spec B might be interesting, but just too expensive to make "interesting" into "viable."

I wish SOA handn't forced me back to the used market. When the time comes, I want to walk into the dealer, and order what I want, and get it. I'll pay what I can afford for it. Now it doesn't exist on Subaru new car showrooms. Too bad SOA gets to lose a sale.

"...So it isn't as if I can vote with my feet, and buy the competition. I'll have to buy used."

You can always buy an '05 now. The rebates are running around $1500 - and several dealers are selling Legacys below invoice even before factoring in rebates.

Subaru has always limited the number of color choices for the legacy line. It always amazed me how many more options were available for the outback, which is in every way a legacy, but they ruin the handling by jacking up the car and putting bigger tires on it. Why would anyone buy the outback instead of the GT????? Well, guess what - subaru sells 10x as many outbacks as non-OB Legacy's, that's why. It sucks, but the USA is full of car-stupid consumers who don't know how to drive and don't want to learn.

however, the GT manual is a great performance car; if you love to drive and want to spend less than $60k, it really is tough to beat this car in a sedan, and in wagon form, the only competitor is the 545. The new A4's are really heavy, and the S4 is really nose heavy. I think the GT is a better car. The 3-series is a better car but, particularly in the wagon, does not have the interior space of the GT.

I took advantage of all of that, and color ends up being irrelevant. I ended up with a black and tan car, which I love, but I would have preferred white or the Regal Blue. I'd rather have a great car with not quite the right colors than some POS ford with any color under the sun that I could choose.

Just MHO. Everyone has their own highly personal tastes, and should choose accordingly.

Good luck

Subaru has always limited the number of color choices for the legacy line. It always amazed me how many more options were available for the outback, which is in every way a legacy, but they ruin the handling by jacking up the car and putting bigger tires on it. Why would anyone buy the outback instead of the GT????? Well, guess what - subaru sells 10x as many outbacks as non-OB Legacy's, that's why. It sucks, but the USA is full of car-stupid consumers who don't know how to drive and don't want to learn.

Well come up here to Vermant and check out the snow drifts in the winter and then tell me what you'd rather have an LGT or an Outback.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived