LegacyGT.com

STS Cobb V Kartboy

Schrei Wolf

Which STS?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which STS?

I'm really loving keeping my car that pseudo stock look but I really want to put a short throw in it, after reading about the forums I've come down to the Cobb and the Kartboy, which would you choose and why over the other.

KB. Currently still in production and none of the adjustment woes that some people run into with the Cobb or it's knockoff replacement. And, IIRC, it's cheaper.

This.

Well kinda, another company is now manufacturing cobb's design of the double adjustable SS, but I was unable to find enough positive reviews on this site to sway me. I've had my KB in for 600 miles and I am very happy with it.

I went from KB to Cobb and I'm not looking back, the whole reason I got it was for adjustability and I'm a big fan of it. However you can only get the Cobb used so if you want new it's either KB or whoever makes the same one as the Cobb (IIRC it's not a knock off, the company who sells them now is the same company who made them for Cobb, is that correct?)

Mode is not a knock off. They made them for Cobb. When Cobb stopped buying and selling under the Cobb name, Mode made an improvement to teh design and continued selling them.

I have been running a Mode DA shifter in my SpecB for 2 years now. Love it. No issues. Previous issues with Cobb design are gone as Mode made it even stronger when they decided to sell it as their own product.

If you want adjustment. Get a Mode.

Note: I dont even sell the Mode, I sell the KB.

anyone using a STP STS? Curious what the difference in throw and build quality is between the one Subaru sells and puts in cars from factory and the Cobb/Mode and KartBoy units.

I know both units are better then the STI STS

The STS from Subaru is only around a 15% reduction in throw IIRC from my research when I bought my KB. The KB is around 40% reduction. I have had the KB in for about 7000 miles and I LOVE it.

Short, firm throw. Solid feel. Shorter in throw and height than the stock shifter. I paired it with a Cobb knob and I couldnt imagine being happier. Im so happy in fact that I havent bothered to install the shift bushings that have been on my desk since march.

Good info, out of curiosity what issues were people having with the Cobb STS?

Some people complain about the set screw being a pain to use to lock the setting and sometimes it binds when at it's shortest throw setting. JoefromPA was one that comes to mind who had issues.

Single set screw was a pain. Now has double set screws. Much easier to deal with.

Shifter does not bind anymore. Never really did. On an LGT, shifter is capable of being adjusted so short that the body of the shifter hits the cup that the ball sits in. This stops the 2/4 gears from engaging. Trick is to set the shifter just above where it hits the cup. If Mode made it so it did not bottom out, it would not go short enough for WRX's.

As is, most do not run it at its technically shortest position. It is a snub then and you get zero leverage during shifts.

Throw can be adjusted so short it causes rubber boot to hang and tear. Trick is to adjust just short enough to be a hair shy of issue point. If Mode gave you too little adjustment you would be pissed. More is good. Be aware when setting it up and happiness results.

I found that after cutting the bracket that holds the boot in place and adjusting my throw that the boot was catching on the linkage. I greased the hell out of the linkage where it contacts the boot and problem solved. I think the main problems that I've had, and this is with the old model where it's basically all-thread around the bushing and where the linkage attaches, is occasionally the bottom nut would loosen and rattle and the idea that it's adjustable makes me constantly tinker with it. Fixed the rattle by tightening it better and just putting a piece of tape around the thread to keep the nut from falling down. I've thought about getting a matching piece of all-thread and cutting it longer and putting it in there to make the knob closer to the steering wheel and making it almost an ape-hanger but I'm not sure about the limitations with that and the leather trim. The main point being: you can have some extra fun with this one. If I had to do it all over again I would do the exact same thing. I don't think a short throw is worth $135.

Kartboy! there stickers are cooler man! jk ive got my KB sts with poly bushings and the delrin shift knob and had had no issues with height throw or accuracy. I literally havent missed a single gear since i got it in. hahaahhaaha the stock shifter sucks ass and yes the cob is adjustable but i mean i have more things to worry about than adjusting my shifter. id go kartboy and personally, id suggest the poly bushings as well. it makes every shift super positive and i like how its notchy and kind of goes in like kerchunk'. it reminds me of my buddies old srt-4 mopar sts which was really fun to shift.

Just threw in my KB STS on my '09 this morning and i freaking love it, so much shorter throw and i put the cobb knob on top of it so its a nice hight. It took me not even a half hour with the walk threw's i found on here, the only little problem i had is i broke the cup at the bottom of the shifter. I put the two parts together and than the washers on and back in the hole it seems to me that it will be ok. I love it.

I would also like to know who has the KB and has done front bushings. Ive heard there is noticeable increase in NVH, I would like to hear from someone first hand before i bother trying to unstuck rusted bolts only to find out i hate the change.

I recently installed kartboy sts and rallitek front bushing. shifts are more precise and quick, but i "feel" play similar to stock in the shifter. after reading reviews, i thought the shifts would be notchy, they are not.

I havent noticed gear vibration, but i do hear gear wine depending on which gear im in.

I have the KB front and rear bushings. it feels super tight and somewhat notchy. I love the feel and I've never missed a shift since the install. its like it clicks into place with one finger. its not hard to find or shift into gear, its just different in a good way.

can there be that much of a difference between the kb bushing and the rallitek?

super tight means no play?

when im in neutral, the shifter can move from side to side just like stock, with aftermarket parts I thought it would reduce movement/make movement harder.

I don't think there is much difference between the two brands. there is way less play compared to stock and the throw of the shifts are really short and with the bushings installed I can only describe it as very positive. it feels like u can really slam the gears in when flat foot shifting. if that's how u like to drag race etc.

Archived