LegacyGT.com

street tuner memory

legacy2005

been working with my ST lately and have ran into an issue. i keep getting a memory error code. "Map data has 2 bytes beyond capacity" not sure if there is a way around this by expanding the map memory or if there is a way to save it so it doesnt give that error.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

been working with my ST lately and have ran into an issue. i keep getting a memory error code. "Map data has 2 bytes beyond capacity" not sure if there is a way around this by expanding the map memory or if there is a way to save it so it doesnt give that error.

It is due to the crappily small internal memory of the actual AP.

The more parameters that saved as "stock" the less memory you will take up.

Look into having a fairly stock base map, and then taking a copy of the rom with ECU flash, modding it in RR, and putting it back in the car w/ ECU flash.

Many of us with ST do that.

Yup, just make basic idle adjustments, injector scaling, intake calibration and any other mission critical adjustments in the base and then do the rest in RealTime maps. You can add a few extras as you creep up on the limit, but you have to be selective. Just think of it in the terms of what you absolutely need to "stick" in your tune should you loose your RT map for some reason or otherwise end up on your basemap.
Let's kick this pig!

Yup, just make basic idle adjustments, injector scaling, intake calibration and any other mission critical adjustments in the base and then do the rest in RealTime maps. You can add a few extras as you creep up on the limit, but you have to be selective. Just think of it in the terms of what you absolutely need to "stick" in your tune should you loose your RT map for some reason or otherwise end up on your basemap.

FWIW once you use RR to change the base map your car won't lose it if the battery goes dead.

its more of the codes that im trying to edit/remove. unfortunatly with my mods its hard to have a "stockish" base map. may have to play around with settings i guess to try and get the 2bytes from somewhere.

The more settings you change to what stock is the more space you will have.

I think I just have my injector scaler set for the dW740's, AEM CAI scaling, WGDC scaled down for the Prodrive BCS, FIBET, TIP-IN and a couple A/F and knock learning scale adjustments. Other than that all my fueling and timing are pretty close to stock in the basemap. I guess I have the majority of the CEL codes defeated too. But basically all my load scaled timing, fueling, advance, boost and AVCS are all handled in the RealTime maps.

It really helps to start from a stock or close to stock map. A bunch of little changes that have been forgotten and may or may not make a difference add up quick. I usually go back to one of my first stockish basemaps where I just had injectors and intake dialed in and work off that instead of trying to undo changes to make more room. Try to only adjust where it's needed and not entire tables if you can get away with it. Sounds like you just need to find a couple cels that you can put back to the stock settings to free up space to select the codes you need.

Edit: I know it would be a PITA, but you could open 2 copies of ST(one with a stockish base and another with current map) and start moving tables from the one that's too big and save it as you go to keep track of room. Start with the codes you need defeated and then move all the stuff you know that you need and get as much as possible copied over. You might make it fit if you could like leave the first 2 or 3 cells of the MAF scale at the stock settings or leave a couple blocks of timing or advance that you will never hit at the stock settings/values. Search around and you could probably reclaim some space.

Let's kick this pig!

Be careful what you put in your Base Map versus Realtime Map. If you do happen to lose your Realtime map, you don't want to be running stock timing especially if you're running a bigger turbo.

The only items I like to keep in my RT map are the boost settings (boost targets and wastegate settings). If something does happen, I will be running lower boost only and my ignition timing and AFRs will still be perfect.

All you need to do is start with the "Stock" map in ST. Then, only modify what you need for your car to run w/ just a Base map. If you start w/ the stock map, you will have LOTS of memory left over. That is what I had to do to create a base that would get rid of all the TGV codes.

The problem is that each time you make changes, I think that ST remembers both the new, and the old, simply as differences from stock. So if you modify stock to something and it takes 2 bytes, then you modify the same value again, ST uses 4 bytes, 2 for the first change, and 2 for the second. If you instead start w/ a stock map and modify it to your second setting, that only requires 2 bytes...

:spin:

Be careful what you put in your Base Map versus Realtime Map. If you do happen to lose your Realtime map, you don't want to be running stock timing especially if you're running a bigger turbo.

The only items I like to keep in my RT map are the boost settings (boost targets and wastegate settings). If something does happen, I will be running lower boost only and my ignition timing and AFRs will still be perfect.

There is nothing wrong with stock timing, even on a bigger turbo.

Stock timing means X load Y rpm. The trouble is that a bigger turbo is capable of flowing off the chart in the load column. You are thinking of comparing WOT logs from stock to bigger turbo, then yes, if you disregard the load the timing would have to be lower.

AFR table should be OK, but the timing table would need to be rescaled. In a base map you could probably get away with only changing the last one or two load columns to accommodate the bigger turbo. The RT map could havea much smoother table.

Ted, I think you are right.

^Thank you. And I guess I spaced off that when you pull a ROM image with ECUflash that it actually get's the RealTime data too and then will return the image as what would basically be a BaseMap containing what Cobb uses as RealTime tables/data too; therefore making the entire image "stick" even after a complete power down. My bad.

I think we all agree on going back to a "cleaner" or more stock and making only needed changes ONCE. I'm thinking that you guys are right about any change other than back to the stock value will raise the tally. It's as if it's not counting the number of cells that change, but rather the number of changes(including multiple changes to one cell value over time) that have been made. Almost like it uses relative values to make changes and not the absolute value of the entry if that makes sense.

Let's kick this pig!

^Thank you. And I guess I spaced off that when you pull a ROM image with ECUflash that it actually get's the RealTime data too and then will return the image as what would basically be a BaseMap containing what Cobb uses as RealTime tables/data too; therefore making the entire image "stick" even after a complete power down. My bad.

Kinda, it will not "stick" a RT flash if the battery goes dead. I have tried.

Do this:

-Make your base map as good as you can on the AP

-take a copy of that map (don't have a fancy RT map flashed at this point) w/ ECU flash

-make the rest of your changes w/ RR

-put the new complete base map back in ECU w/ ECUflash

-overlay that changed base map with whatever you want for RT maps

I think we all agree on going back to a "cleaner" or more stock and making only needed changes ONCE. I'm thinking that you guys are right about any change other than back to the stock value will raise the tally. It's as if it's not counting the number of cells that change, but rather the number of changes(including multiple changes to one cell value over time) that have been made.

No just the number of actual cells that have been changed from "stock"

No just the number of actual cells that have been changed from "stock"

O.K. So now I've been in there testing some stuff and am trying to figure out how many bytes (or bits) to a cell or how many changes before it changes the available free space. I was making changes in my throttle duty cycle table and got some odd results.

When I selcted either of two cells that I know had zeros on the stock map and change them by +1(using +/- keys) the available byte count would go down by 5 and would recover the 5 bytes by returning the cell to stock. Now, if I select them both and change them or change both individually; I loose 30 bytes of available space. If I return either one to stock, I gain 25 bytes back. Could make it real hard to predict how much space a single change will take when you get down close to the limit.

Let's kick this pig!

O.K. So now I've been in there testing some stuff and am trying to figure out how many bytes (or bits) to a cell or how many changes before it changes the available free space. I was making changes in my throttle duty cycle table and got some odd results.

When I selcted either of two cells that I know had zeros on the stock map and change them by +1(using +/- keys) the available byte count would go down by 5 and would recover the 5 bytes by returning the cell to stock. Now, if I select them both and change them or change both individually; I loose 30 bytes of available space. If I return either one to stock, I gain 25 bytes back. Could make it real hard to predict how much space a single change will take when you get down close to the limit.

I played with that too, and here is my answer:

:spin:

Archived