LegacyGT.com

Stock radio power draw.

GT Ski

So here's my problem. My 05 Legacy was about 20,000 miles past warranty and the CD-Changer/player died. 6 Disks stuck in the magazine, won't eject, won't change, won't play the disk on the drive. The dealer said they won't even look at the radio to fix it and wanted $1,000 to replace the unit. I decided to hold off and maybe look at an aftermarket solution for that kind of money.

Fast forward to a week ago. I came out to start the car, dead. I had it jumped and limped over to the dealer and they traced a power draw in to the radio unit which was apparently slowly murdering my charging system (:confused:). My options: Completely disconnect the radio and HVAC permanently OR pay the $1000 to replace the radio and attached heating assembly.

Luckily my extended warranty will cover this, unluckily there are no radio units anywhere in the entire country. I was told it could be weeks or months before they could get one. So I either get a rental for a few weeks or drive around in the middle of winter in a 3 year old car with no heat and no radio.

The more I think about this the more POed I get about it. Yes the car is past warranty, but it's 3 years old and dead because of the radio?

Has anyone had a problem even remotely close to this before? Is something like this even plausible or are they just trying to jerk me around for some $$?

That is my biggest fear with the stupid Radio/HVAC combo in the LGT...stuck to pay some outrageous amount to fix it instead of being able to install a less expensive aftermarket unit.

If your interested my local dealer sells the OEM combo for $682.00

That is my biggest fear with the stupid Radio/HVAC combo in the LGT...stuck to pay some outrageous amount to fix it instead of being able to install a less expensive aftermarket unit.

If your interested my local dealer sells the OEM combo for $682.00

Do they have any in stock? I was just informed that the part was on back order for a month.

I'm calling Subaru today to see what I can do. They won't give me a loaner car and I can't drive mine for a Month. Ugh. I wouldn't mind so much If I got an upgraded unit with the possibility to install XM.

Archived