LegacyGT.com

Sticky dash

Would not hurt to call the dealer of SOA and ask about it.

The other thought is, if the dash is not rattling...why have them mess with it only to get a new dash but have rattles...

May be someone who has had the dash replaced can chime in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I tried to have the dash replaced on my 09 XT that has a sticky dash and I was outside the 10 year extension. The dealership denied me and I tired to call SOA and ask for assistance with a replacement and was also denied. They base the 10 year extension off of the original manufacture date. So my car was made in July of 2009 so the last point that I could have had the dash replaced by Subaru was in July of 2019.

You still might call and just see what happens.

I had my dash and the steering wheel airbag pad replaced by the dealer under warranty 13 years after I bought the car. I pulled my car file, and it was July 2017. Time flies while you are having fun!

I had mine replaced and along the lines of what Max stated, it's no longer sticky but I'll be damned if anything was put back correctly. Nav unit had 2 screws loosely holding it in place, 1 screw near the cluster, they broke the pass side air vent and didnt install the center console properly. It's back under recall for the airbag so I wonder what will happen next....

I assumed the 10-year window would be closed on my car (2009 build, only bought 2 months ago) so I haven't called a dealer. Maybe I will, and try my luck.

Failing that, has anyone come up with another solution besides replacing the dash? I am considering a dash mat but it's not my favorite idea.

I assumed the 10-year window would be closed on my car (2009 build, only bought 2 months ago) so I haven't called a dealer. Maybe I will, and try my luck.

Failing that, has anyone come up with another solution besides replacing the dash? I am considering a dash mat but it's not my favorite idea.

I called soa a few weeks ago. They won’t do anything for you. I found this stuff called sticky dash fix. There were a few cars that used similar dashboards and all had the same problem. Not sure if it works but it looks like one of the only options other than replacing out of pocket. Dealer quoted 500 for the dash and 700 labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the input. It just sucks when hair gets stuck in it "I have a long haired dog" I will see my my dealer says, or SOA. If it bugs e enought changing a dash out is no that hard done it before.

I just recently changed my dash. My car is JDM and the date of production was January of this year. The new Dashboard is definitely made of a different material than the original. My original dash wasn't sticky, it had some scuff marks and I was going to refresh the entire interior anyways. If you never done it before it can take all day to change. It took me a couple of days.

• 1 year later...

I bitched at SOA and they said "sorry, no warranty replacement" but sent me a voucher for $500.

I tried a small test-patch of water-based polyurethane, and so far it looks good.

I also came across this product, but EVERYTHING I can find with google search is just advertisement and posts made in forums like this that are identical and clearly made by representatives of the company:

https://stickydashfix.com/products/sticky-dash-fix-kit-to-suit-subaru-legacy-liberty-outback-2003-2009?variant=31456772128811

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience or informed opinions about this StickyDashFix product, or about just coating with matte polyurethane.

Have you seen this video ?

Thanks. Seems somewhat supportive. Kinda lame the first version didn't work well though. Wish he hadn't fast-forwarded over the most important parts, where he actually applied the product (in favor of spending time mumbling about Sugru).

Edited by RustyShackleford

I think the point you need to take away is, after a few coats using the foam brush, the 20% water 80% coating on a towel did a nice job of evening out the top coat.

There was a name for the type of towel...but I'm drawing a blank right now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I think the point you need to take away is, after a few coats using the foam brush, the 20% water 80% coating on a towel did a nice job of evening out the top coat.

Right. The bottles being only 100ml, it doesn't seem like there'd be enough material for more than one coat though, does there ?

There was a name for the type of towel...but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Micro-fiber ?

I haven't heard of the sugru before. That looks like a simple fix for chips in the dash on my wagon.

My Spec B has a slightly sticky dash, the wagons dash is perfect except for a few chips from the airbag recalls and me missing with the combo meter.

Right, micro-fiber Thanks

My Spec B has a slightly sticky dash, the wagons dash is perfect except for a few chips from the airbag recalls and me missing with the combo meter.

Mine might be worse for two reasons:

1. It's HOT here in North Carolina in the summer.

2. The car stays parked in the sun a LOT, since wife and I both work from home, and she bought a Nissan Leaf EV, which ends up getting used for 90% of our trips (unless we're going more than 70 miles from home, or need to haul some stuff, or both going to different places at the same time).

My main concern is outgassing, which makes the inside of the windshield awful (probably not good to inhale the inside air when you first get in either :-( )

Both my cars have always sat outside, no garage yet.

I tend to leave the windows rolled down an inch when I could in the parking lot at work. Just to let it air out. At home, I'll roll them down on weekends at times.