LegacyGT.com

STICKING handle :(

Maybe try a little light oil or graphite sprayed into the hinge mechanism?? Seems pretty likely the door handle hinge point is sticking.

Be a good idea to fill in your profile so we know what model,year etc your car is too. ;)

I'll have to look to see if I can find a way to get to that mechanism. Thanks for the tip. And I updated my profile some:)

not wd-40 tho, it'll lubricate for a while and once its done dissolving the grease in there it'll be sticking like a bastard, teflon or graphite spray is what I'd recommend... now if the issue isn't that there is insufficient amount of grease but that the grease has been contaminated (you'd probably feel a gummy feeling resisting when opening it) than you can use some wd40 followed by teflon spray to re lubricate it once its dried out which can be aided by compressed air....

all that said it looks a little misaligned, like the handle is contacting the little facial which may require some light persuasion. can you tell if the handle is contacting?

not wd-40 tho, it'll lubricate for a while and once its done dissolving the grease in there it'll be sticking like a bastard, teflon or graphite spray is what I'd recommend... now if the issue isn't that there is insufficient amount of grease but that the grease has been contaminated (you'd probably feel a gummy feeling resisting when opening it) than you can use some wd40 followed by teflon spray to re lubricate it once its dried out which can be aided by compressed air....

all that said it looks a little misaligned, like the handle is contacting the little facial which may require some light persuasion. can you tell if the handle is contacting?

Basically it physically has to be realigned by pushing it "forward" and in to it's normal resting position. As in, I have to push it from the back end (from trunk side) to front (hood side) and then it pops back in. I'm going to try everyone's suggestions and I'm hoping I dont need to disassemble or replace anything. Thanks for the input :) I'm excited to figure this out later hopefully

It definitely sounds like something is broken in there, the handle should only pivot from the rear it should not slide forward. Maybe you will get lucky and a pin or something has come loose. I would personally just look on ebay or a salvage yard for the proper color replacement, it shouldn't be too hard to change it out.

It looks like you can buy most (or all) of the individual pieces in there, so you may not have to replace the handle itself unless that's what's broken. Unfortunately, you might have to rip most of the door apart in order to see what's actually broken.

Archived