LegacyGT.com

STI swap 3rd gen

Okay. I’m gonna be that guy to send it and STI swap my 04 outback. I know lots of people get halfway down a thread then it just abruptly ends. I want to be the person to do it and document all of it for anyone in the future. BUT I need input from the people who know more than I do to help me decide. I know I’m gonna buy a wrecked STI as a donor car so that way I don’t have to guess or try and source other parts, it’s just all in front of me. I’m trying to decide between an early 2000s STI or a new STI Ie. Like a 2017 or so. I understand that since they’re all EJ series motors so they should bolt in and I understand I need to use whatever type block I have in my car currently with the swap. I know there will be plenty of wiring merges and what not but I’m looking for input in like, yes you can swap a new STI driveline in or no an older will be easier or less problematic. I wanna be the Guinea pig more or less. I’m currently finishing school so I’m trying to plan out to hopefully do it this summer. I’m gonna do this no matter what I have another car and I’m 100% okay with this being a money pit. I’m gonna go to my local you pull and pay to tinker around and try and pull some STI stuff and see what will bolt in, suspension wise and whatever else to see just how much will mechanically work and what wont. Any positive and beneficial input would be greatly appreciated.

Side note I’d love to know what is cross compatible across generations and models if anyone can give some input

-TR

2004 STi is the earliest you can go, and honestly not much changed with the engine for the next 15 years. Try to get one pre-DBW and you should be okay. Definitely get in touch with iwire about a harness merge before you start though.

• 2 weeks later...