LegacyGT.com

Stalling issue confirmed.

Well, after my 2010 Legacy began stalling all over the road, I came here to diagnose and sure enough, it was spot on....torque converter replacement at 3090.00 dollars + something called a flashwright pack causing RPMs to drop costing another 200.00 Vehicle has 74, 000 miles on it , I think it’s safe to say Subaru's innovated CVT transmission is a complete failure. Had a 2010 Outback that did the same thing, but traded it in before repair as it needed front and rear oxygen sensor as well torque converter ,,, Cost to fix that vehicle was over 5000 so traded it in with 97,000 mils on it.

So disappointed in these two vehicles words can’t describe. I contacted Subaru as I understand that supposedly years 2010 through 2013 had a bad batch of torque converters installed and Subaru was aware of the issue but did nothing, no recall. Got this information from the dealer the car is sitting at right now.

I left Toyota, vehicles I could get 200,000 plus miles out of easy for these Subaru’s that I thought could and would do the same. Complete disappointment.

To Subaru’s credit they act like they may help somewhat, as they should if rumors of installing known bad parts are indeed involved, but really, even if they send a 500.00 service coupon what’s the point?:confused:

^ Sorry it didn't work out. that is one reason why I got the extended warranty when I bought my car used. They told me if I had a Toyota, it'd be about half the price.

When something on a Subie breaks, it seems to cost a lot.

Well listen I'm not here to bash Subaru, I had fun driving my car, and for a fleeting moment I considered purchasing another one. But after multiple issue with bulbs burning out prematurely (sometimes 10 a year) and replacements cost 50 to 75 per bulb, AC not cooling the cabin, leaky struts, oxygen sensor ,so many check engine lights going off over the years I felt as if I was at a disco when I drove my vehicles. Now issues with transmissions on both vehicles, with both less than 100, 000 miles, this shouldn't happen. This is not a Chrysler we are taking about. Which would be almost expected.

I just can’t keep pumping money into them. If it was one and done, like pay this amount and you'll be good for awhile, if this was the case I might consider keeping it, but that is just not my experience with these vehicles.

It was definitely a love hate relationship with my Subaru’s, part of me love the hell out of driving them the other part dreaded the repair bills. It’s just got to be too much where I now question the quality of these vehicles, well, for my year’s models any way. Good luck to all others that take that dive into the Subie pool, may you have better luck than me.

If you had those bulbs changed at the dealer they may reimburse you. There was a lawsuit and settlement reached on that. Also it is fairly common for Subaru to offer goodwill assistance for known issues. And believe it or not the torque converter issue has been resolved in the newer iterations of the cvt, I'm sure that isn't much solace to you with your 2010. But I feel with purchasing a second 2010 model cvt you were aware of the issue. Personally I wouldn't buy any cvt without a power train warranty at least not until I see more evidence they can last the life of the vehicle. I can't say I blame you but your data is from a small sample of cars with a well known issue that has since been resolved, and it wasn't a definite issue of impending failure. Hundreds of thousands of Subaru cars with cvt transmissions have not had torque converter failures and it's not likely to affect the vast majority of them. But you sir seem to have gotten lucky! Good luck with your next vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

FLlegacy, thanks for your response. Some good points there. But I do want to make it clear I bought both the Subaru's at the same time. I had no idea about the CVT issues until recently. Glad they fixed the problem though, that's good news. Yes I should have gotten the extended warranty but was betting on Subaru quality and I lost the bet. Since I was buy a Subaru didn’t think I needed it. I thought I was buying a better vehicle and wouldn’t need it. Funny ting though, I see most people with the same issue with the torque converter he cost was around 1700.00 Mine is 3090.00 big difference.

2013 has a newer cvt and is not interchangeable with 2010-12 cars

Perhaps the 2013 models are free of this defect but I wouldn’t put money on it. What I am disappointed in most is Subaru knew of the problem with the CVT's and did nothing, how could I ever trust a company like this again? They continued to manufacture vehicles knowing these parts were bad. Plus, the recall on the airbag was never taken care of, only received a letter stating “please refrain from carrying passengers until the issue with air bag can be rectified at a later date"

Not a lot of confidence there. To make matters worse, the service rep at my Subaru dealership is the biggest a hole in the world, very dismissible, won’t look you in the eye when you talk to him, mumbles, never acknowledges you when you are standing right in front of him. He has had many complaints but this dealership refuses to reprimand him. I’ve been dealing with this jerk for the past 7 years and it’s a horrible experience.

So you bought two of the first model year of a major overhaul...those odds are even worse that there would be an issue. In your shoes, I would think the same thing, but in regards to the service rep, I would have quickly went beyond the dealer and talked directly to SOA, they have a way of convincing dealer personnel to take care of the customer.

Perhaps the 2013 models are free of this defect but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Plus, the recall on the airbag was never taken care of, only received a letter stating “please refrain from carrying passengers until the issue with air bag can be rectified at a later date"

The 2013 have a newly designed motor which are under an extended warranty for burning oil so they do have their own issues, the transmission doesn't seem to be an issue though.

Unfortunately for you, it seems like almost all the transmission issues are for the 2010's. The failure rate isn't high enough to warrant a recall. I would contact SOA to see if they can help you out. You definitely got the raw end of the deal have two cars with that issue and I can understand your frustration. The dealer that you are using seems to be charging an excessive amount of money to replace the torque converter. I looked up the part number and it has a $675 list price. I think they would pull the motor to replace the torque converter, but if that is all they are doing $4300 labor sound pretty excessive to me.

The Takata air bag recall really isn't Subaru fault that its taking a long time. Something like 85million cars have an air bag recall and it pretty much is affecting all major automotive manufacturers. The issue is part supply because there are so many air bag under recall. The good news for Subaru owners is that all the fatalities have been isolated to Honda's so far.

The 2010 torque converters had 1 seal that was either bad, badly designed, or not made from the correct material. I don't think subsequent years were experiencing this issue at all. It's something that Subaru figured out fairly quickly and they have been very responsive in helping customers. Several other members here whose cars were out of warranty, have had their torque converters replaced for only labor costs, parts were covered by Subaru, which if I can recall, was about $1200.

Subaru's issues with the CVT are very minimal considering the newer technology and sheer number of cars they produce. Google Nissan transmission problems.....and you'll find some serious very widespread issues there.

Hmmm... interesting timing this would come up now. My wife mentioned today that her Legacy died in the driveway as she rolled back from the garage and then pressed the brake to wait while the garage was closing. Ours is a 2011 with a CVT.

Sigh... got only about 1300 miles left of the extended warranty. I am reconsidering the whole Subaru thing after I recently had starter, two engine mounts and AC compressor replaced.

Yeah, that... totally odd. That being said - the service advisor did say that one of the mounts was damaged/cracked. But it did not do anything to the starter problem, of course. (shrug!)

Are you sure that is what the vibrations you are feeling are from. You might have forgotten a toy or something.

Then again, I do feel the vibrations coming more from the bottom of my seat.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Perhaps the 2013 models are free of this defect but I wouldn’t put money on it. What I am disappointed in most is Subaru knew of the problem with the CVT's and did nothing, how could I ever trust a company like this again? They continued to manufacture vehicles knowing these parts were bad. Plus, the recall on the airbag was never taken care of, only received a letter stating “please refrain from carrying passengers until the issue with air bag can be rectified at a later date"

Not a lot of confidence there. To make matters worse, the service rep at my Subaru dealership is the biggest a hole in the world, very dismissible, won’t look you in the eye when you talk to him, mumbles, never acknowledges you when you are standing right in front of him. He has had many complaints but this dealership refuses to reprimand him. I’ve been dealing with this jerk for the past 7 years and it’s a horrible experience.

There is no perhaps about it the CVT is a second generation unit that is lighter stronger and over 100MM shorter.

As for the Airbag issue do you realize that Tanaka made them for just about every carmaker out there? That is millions upon millions of cars that need to be fixed. I got the same letter you did for my 2003 and until I was able to get it fixed, I did what they told me to do.... no front passengers. It was 3 moths for me to get it in and inspected (thankfully not needed)....

Tanaka made airbags for

Honda

Toyota

Subaru

Lexus

Acura

Ford

....etc

I have an '05 with the original motor mounts. After 11 yrs I'm now starting to feel the vibrations from the motor, so it's time for replacement.

2003 here with 109K and the vibration is from aftermarket half shaft....

CVT torque converter

In January 2014, technical service bulletin (# 16-90-13) was issued Legacy vehicles with 2.5-litre petrol engines and continuously variable transmissions. In these vehicles, the driver may experience low engine RPM when coming to rest (similar to a vehicle with a manual transmission stalling as it comes to rest due to the clutch pedal not being depressed). This occurred because thrust washer wear inside the torque converter could cause restriction of the oil passage used to bleed off lock-up clutch application pressure. In turn, this could cause either a delay (momentary low engine rpm) or no lock-up pressure release. As a result of this problem, Subaru changed the design of the torque converter whereby the solid bushing-type thrust washer was replaced by a needle bearing type.

Well there you have it. Subaru initially sounded like they may help but after several emails back and forth it looks like them will pass on doing anything. Communication with them just completely stopped dead. Even the dealer thought they would do something, has they have for all the other vehicle they have seen with the same problem. But I guess the sheer number of these vehicles coming up lame like this is costing them a small fortune. So, no choice left but trade it in. I was hoping for a few more years out of it but the ticking time bomb that it is, this is probably for the better. Sad in a way though, I really took care of this vehicle and did all the "maintenance " it needed over the years. It’s weird how sometimes we get attached to our cars, and when we are forced to kick it to the curb it’s like a very bad break up...lol

Have you reached out to them directly? It has been my experience that Subaru isn't shy about saying no to goodwill help, I would call them directly with all your info before making a firm decision, unless you have a dealer willing to give you a good trade in value.

goldendeal,

Since I believe that you are quoting a TSB in response to what I said, I think it is important to understand what model years that this applies to so here we go...

2012Legacy

2010-2012Legacy GT Limited

2010Legacy GT Premium

2010-2011Legacy i

2010-2012Legacy Limited

2010-2012Legacy Premium

2010-2012Legacy R

2010-2012Legacy R Limited

2010-2012Legacy R Premium

2012Outback

2010-2011Outback i

2010-2012Outback Limited

2010-2012Outback Premium

2010-2012Outback R

2010-2012Outback R Limited

2010-2012Outback R Premium

you will notice that the 13+ cars are absent from this TSB as it does not apply to them (totally different power train)

I guess I should call them, they have not responded to my emails after they told me they would talk to the service manager, very strange.

All those vehicles listed and not a single recall, that's terrible. Didn't stand by their product. Ya know, in both the Legacy and Outback I had a shimmy like it wanted to stall day 1 of purchase. I brought it in and they couldn't figure it out , finally said its normal . Looking back on it, that shimmy at stops was a sign...my car no longer shimmys it flat out stalls. Glad I dumped the Outback for other issues it had as it would have been next on the list of bad converters.

Archived