LegacyGT.com

Spring = buy new wheels

ellivnad

So I've been eagerly waiting since I bought my LGT to buy some new wheels and tires. I had pretty much settled on SSR Competition 17x7.5 with some 225/45s. Then I saw this pic on nasioc...

http://yamezonium.com/P1070009.jpg

Realize this happened when some shmuck hit a curb doing 30, but I'm still concerned about overall durrability. Potholes aren't that bad around here and I'm usually alert enough to avoid them. I do enjoy zipping around on dirt roads every now and then and most have their fair share of bumps and washboards. Anyone have experience on the SSR comp ruggedness? I was looking forward to the performance gain of 12.8lb wheels but not if it's going to repeatedly break my bank.

.o0O0o.

Wow. Hmm. Wow. At least you would have a warranty. Wow. Wait. Forget that. SSR has closed it's doors in Japan, due to bankruptcy. Better look for something else....or buy spares up front if you really want those wheels (I like 'em too).

Wow. Hmm. Wow. At least you would have a warranty. Wow. Wait. Forget that. SSR has closed it's doors in Japan, due to bankruptcy. Better look for something else....or buy spares up front if you really want those wheels (I like 'em too).

Is it confirmed that the closed shop? Or did they just go bankrupt?

.o0O0o.

There is a thread somewhere here.....I posted the link from the Japanes news site...searching now

Found it:

----------------

Speed Star Co., Ltd is the entity that declared bankruptcy. They officially closed 1/26/05.

http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/sangyo...0B27012005.html

"The speeder and the affiliate applying self bankruptcy

The speeder of aluminum wheel production and sale for the automobile (Osaka prefecture Yao city, President Masanobu Hamada) with, speeder sale of the affiliate (Osaka city, President Nobuko Hamada) on the 27th, self bankruptcy was applied to the Osaka district court. As for debt sum total at both total 67 hundred million Yen. As for the speeder deteriorates the achievement with such as competition intensification of the overseas product. Influence and, applied self bankruptcy to also speeder sale of the dealership. (13:01)"

Concrete vs. metal.. I'd say 90% of the time, the concrete wins (concrete is designed for compression loads).. dont worry about that pic.. some people are just stupid for driving up on curbs like that.. they should know better. Besides, SSRs are worth the money to replace one or two.

Keefe

Keefe

I realize that an encounter with a curb at speed will spell doom. I tend not to drive like that though. I do however manage to hit a couple of potholes a year that make me cringe (prob. 8-10" in dia and a couple inches deep). Now if that is enough to bend an SSR then I'm screwed, I can't afford to replace a couple rims a year! Unless the price on these things drop in the next month or so, so I can buy a couple extra looks like a no go :(
.o0O0o.

I am hoping TireRack does a closeout on them. I will pick up a set of five if so. Given the deep discount they just did on the OZ SuperLeggera III on closeout, a set of SSR's would be pretty sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I broke down and did it. They came in today, now I can't wait to get them on the car! I also ordered some Rays lug nuts which should be in middle of next week. All in all I should drop a little over 8lb per corner, I can't wait!

17x7.5 btw

SSR.jpg.54947f89c7f0197fca288b82e6993d20.jpg

.o0O0o.

http://www.alandang.net/2005_03_26/124_2497.jpg

Mine are holding up just fine. Dont let one instance like that scare you like so.. as I said before, a curb is made of concrete that can withstand compression.. a rim is a rim.. any rim will look like that if you hit it.

Here's an idea: dont hit curbs.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived