LegacyGT.com

Spec stage 1 Clutch Review

urfsin

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my recent clutch change with you.

First a little back story on my car. It has been through a fair amount of abuse, but nothing I would consider super extreme....I don't dump the clutch @ 6000 RPM's and I don't make a regular habit of AWD burnouts. But I do use my car. For racing, this is what my OBXT has seen.

10 rally-x

3 auto-x

2 HPDE days

1 drag race day

add some hooning around, mix it with 56,000 miles of daily driver duty and you have an OEM clutch screaming for mercy! :lol: I will say the stock clutch took things pretty well all things considered.

I replaced the OEM clutch with a SPEC stage 1 organic clutch. I chose the Spec becasue I felt it gave me a nice increase over stock and staying with an organic material. When I was looking I was considering the Clutchmasters FX100, the Exedy Stage 1 and the ACT.

The main reason I chose the SPEC clutch was it was a direct fit with the stock flywheel. I don't really have a beef with the dual mass and thought it was silly to replace it.

At this point I have only driven about 10 city miles on it, but I am pleased so far. The pedal feel is very similar to stock and that is to say it's a little on the heavy side. My stock unit was not the lightest clutch. I have driven LGT's with the ACT kit and it was lighter than my stock. Don't know why this is, but it's what I felt.

Anywho, the new clutch is very stock like. The take up on it is MUCH faster than the old clutch, but this is expected. There is a very minor amount of chatter if I release the clutch in a particular way in 1st gear. Gears 2-5 are very nice and smooth already. The grab point of the clutch has moved down a small amound, but it's not bothersom at all. I feel by the time this clutch is broken in, it will feel almost exactly like stock.

I will update when I have more than 500 miles.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am on a long road trip right now. I put on about 300 or so city miles before the trip and now I have like 1500 miles on the clutch (mostly fwy of course)

I will say the clutch feels 90% like the stock clutch. The only thing that's different is I get a very small amount of chatter sometimes going into 1st gear. I have slipped the clutch a few times on accident and I made it stink a little. Whoops.

I will report back when I do some sort of auto-x, track day or drag race day.

When it chatters just put it in neutral, and side step the clutch pedal. That cures the chatter in my 2+.

Push in the clutch and side your foot to the left side and let the pedal bang to the top of it's travel.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

So I have about 1000 city miles on the clutch now and it's just like stock. It will still chatter every now and then though. It's very random and only happens like 5-10% of the time (from stopped to 1st gear). I think it's probably user error on my part.

Overall I am happy as I was looking to get a clutch that was very OEM like. So far so good. I will do another update when I do and auto X, drag day or track day.

When my 2+ chatters, I just put it in neutral, and side step the clutch pedal. Push it in move your the left and let the pedal slam to the top.

Not more chatter, my OEM would chatter when it was damp sometimes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have done that a few times now and it has worked....but the chatter seems to come back sometimes. The chatter is getting less and less though. I bet in a few weeks it will be gone.

If someone is looking for a clutch that performs like stock, but has higher TQ holding power, I would say this is a good choice.

So I have about 1000 city miles on the clutch now and it's just like stock. It will still chatter every now and then though. It's very random and only happens like 5-10% of the time (from stopped to 1st gear). I think it's probably user error on my part.

Overall I am happy as I was looking to get a clutch that was very OEM like. So far so good. I will do another update when I do and auto X, drag day or track day.

Sounds good!

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

• 1 year later...

Bumping my old thread! :)

Update: The clutch is slipping pretty bad in 5th. I am pretty pissed to be honest.....I feel that this clutch should last longer than the OEM unit. The only "abuse" I put this clutch through was 2 autocross events and that's it. I was much harder on the OEM one and it lasted longer. What's up with that?

I almost think there was some sort of install problem witch lead to the premature failure of this clutch. The clutch since day one has had a judder when engaging in 1st. I can only wonder if that is somehow related to this....I don't know for sure though. Overall it's a pretty big bummer to have this happen only 2 years and roughly 35,000 miles later.

So what to go with next???? I am almost thinking OEM again.....crazy I know. Clearly I am not going with a Spec clutch again. Maybe the Clutchmasters FX200 or 300?

Side rant: My passenger side inner CV boot just gave up the ghost. I have already ordered a replacement axle. Thank god it's an easy fix. I think cleaning up the spewed axle grease is going to be more of a PITA than the actual changing of the axle! :lol:

From what I have read spec clutches don't hold up well. In my experience they don't work at all lol. I switched to an act six puck and love it. I would recommend act. Sorry it's not holding up either. Those suckers ain't cheap. Good luck and I certainly support the spec boycott :)

My stage 2+ is going on 30+k miles with autox's(10+, double driven), general hooning, My buddy did an awesome 5k clutch drop...its daily driven in stop and go traffic and still has life in it. It hasn't ever slipped but the TOB is going(time for that TSK3 and SMFW+clutch). 30k with daily duty+abuse+higher than stage 2 power levels is not terrible IMO. My stock had under 30k.

I don't know what the deal is....I expected my stock clutch to only last as long as it did, but this "upgraded" unit did not last as long.

Here is a question. The clutch peddle does feel a little different, almost easier to push than before. Could that be caused by weak pressure plate? Could that cause slipping?

It's a common misconception that an aftermarket clutch will last longer than OEM.

Just think how much more quickly any high performance brake pad will wear compared to OEM.

Usually a noticeable change in pedal feel means the clutch is pretty worn.

I got two years of autox and DD out of my spec stg 2 clutch.

It's a common misconception that an aftermarket clutch will last longer than OEM.

Just think how much more quickly any high performance brake pad will wear compared to OEM.

Usually a noticeable change in pedal feel means the clutch is pretty worn.

I got two years of autox and DD out of my spec stg 2 clutch.

This.

I think most of these companies say that their clutches probably won't last past 30K.

Archived