LegacyGT.com

Sounds like an RC car.

Ok, driving my Legacy, going up a hill and I hear this noise out of nowhere. When I let off the gas, the noise sounds like an RC car slowing down. Faster I go, louder it gets. Brakes have no affect on noise. I cut wheel (rf) and looked (in the dark,it's 930p when this occurred) to which I saw a ripped CV boot . I also see the rotor has fresh rub on the 'top angle'. Now between these and a bearing....idk. any ideals?

Please tell me it's not transmission related.............

Nitro or electric lol? Run over anything in the road, something that may have done some damage? I guess you would start with a re-pack of the CV and new boot, then inspect the brakes while apart. A bearing should be somewhat obvious but maybe not always.

Electric

I am a diy kinda guy, I've heard bearings before, but I know Subaru are different in many ways. It is definitely not engine related as I shut off car in nuetral and it didn't change a bit. Somewhere, I read about the 'drive axle center bearing', any knowledge there?

BTW, are these bolt on hubs?

Get it on four jack stands or lift and in neutral rotate the front wheels then the back wheels and listen for it. Spin the driveshaft, check for play. Look at where all the axles meet the trans and rear diff, make sure there's no leaks and they are seated in. I wouldn't drive the car. Is it auto or manual?

Ok, so either my car is extremely rare (highly doubtful) or it's pretty good, cause I cannot find a flipping driveshaft in NYS for under a hundred dollars for the life of me. One junk yard cuts them to remove the fuel tanks, one wants 187(Brand new ones are 390+), and the rest don't have one.

Learned a valuable piece of information on the search. My cars (04 legacy sedan non outback automatic 2.5L) driveshaft is only compatible with late 03-04 legacy automatic 2.5L non outback 4 door sedans. Thanks so much Subaru. There will be a strongly worded letter in the mail.

So I found a place in PA, All Foreign Auto Parts in Pittsburgh, that had my driveshaft in stock for 45 bucks plus shipping and handling. Still under 100 bucks. Also a place called SSP somewhere on Google that seems to be a Subaru junkyard but I haven't looked to close as they didn't have my shaft.

So that's what I found.

IMG_20190326_120721_01.thumb.jpg.78f3a7c659449370b6faa76f1659a51d.jpg

But if it weren't for the painful struggles of those such as yourself....others may never know how to fix things or where to get parts! So long as google exists you will help someone.

Seriously though, good find and good luck with the fix. How hard is it to get the shaft out?

To get the shaft out, normally( I went straight pipe after the cat) there is a bolt on resonator in the way. Unbolt that and shaft is right there. There are 4 12mm nuts on the rear 'pumpkin'. The bolt heads will not spin. I used a wrench just fine. Next you have 2 bolts where the carrier bearing is, 1 on each side. Remove those, gently but firmly pull shaft out of front pumpkin. There is roughly 5 to 7 the inches of the shaft inside the front pumpkin, depends which girl you ask really...hehehehe. There is plenty of flop in the shaft so account for that. Fluid will come out , but not much.

Now I kept 1 bolt in the rear in fear of a falling driveshaft, however there is a lip that holds the shaft in the rear pumpkin. I had my rear end on ramps which gave me alot of room and also made less fluid leak. Hardest part would be if your exhaust resonator bolts were in poor condition.

I should make a video.....

Archived