LegacyGT.com

Where is the smoke coming from? (see video) Is the wastegate supposed to vent?

Scoobiidoo

Not sure how to explain it. I was trying to get a better angle of the video. The smoke didn't come from the turbo inlet hose. All the smoke came out right on the underside of the wastegate.

If you are standing right in front of the engine and lean down you will see all the smoke came out way left of the turbo inlet hose. If anything, the only thing close to the smoke is the little sensor that's further under the wastegate

Here's another video. You can see the bulk of the smoke came out around the wastegate aft of the compressor housing. With a little bit coming out from under the front of the wastegate. It is too far from the turbo inlet hose. Trust me I was trying to make sure it came from the turbo inlet hose as I already have one on order.

https://youtu.be/YrgAol2lMQw

Using Google, I learned that the internal wastegate on Subaru can and will leak. This other video just about confirm to me that my wastegate is leaking.

Good news is I have a VF52 waiting to go in, I guess I am going to go ahead with installing all the mods, and not mess around with trying to fix the AF corrections and learning right now

To verify, you can easily hook a bicycle pump up to the actuator, or hook your smoke machine up straight to the actuator. And of course check that boost control hose.

That's what I did after reading about leaky wastegate actuator. Hooked the smoke tester directly to it and it was smoking just like in the video

Archived