LegacyGT.com

Skid plate options for NA 4th gen?

I recently lowered my car slightly and will be installing a fumoto valve with nipple shortly. An undertray or skid plate is probably overkill, but would make me feel better.

What options are available for us? Do GT undertrays fit our cars?

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

As I understand, GT undertrays do not fit our 2.5i's. And, unfortunately, if you didn't pick up the one in the classifieds, Rallitek has discontinued their NA undertrays.

Luckily for us, Primitive Racing still makes them. I got mine through AZP when I had my headers stripped of the heat shields and thermal wrapped.

Edit: http://www.azpinstalls.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=124

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I emailed Primitive Racing to inquire. I'll email AZP as they are much closer and shipping might be cheaper.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

My 08 didn't come with the center plastic undertray either just the splash guards like mentioned. I just thought the previous owner removed it for oil changes or something. I've always been bothered by it missing and worried about damage to the cv boots or oil pan on my way up to the mountain. Definitely on my list of things to buy to prepare for coilovers and winter travels.

Does anyone have a part number for the OEM plastic undertray?

I heard back from primitive. The skid plate is $215, but openings for the oil filter and drain plug are an additional $40.

More than I wanted to spend, but then again a new oil pan will be at least as much.

Mine was an 05, sorry!

So the GT undertray fits an 05, but 06+ have different headers so it prob wont fit my 06.

I've been looking at DIY options... and was about ready to give it ago until I looked at the price of a 3'x3' sheet of aluminum from mcmastercarr!!! the sheet of metal is $100.

Anyway. I'm trying to decide if I want the holes for oil changes. On one hand I don't really want to remove the skid plate just to change the oil... but on the other hand holes in the skid plate make it not as effective...

Yea, I opted for the no-holes simply for the peace-of-mind knowing I have full protection for my wrapped headers from the elements. That, and it's supposedly less messier than if you spill the oil on top of the undertray.

How much of a pain is it to remove to change the oil?

I wouldn't know exactly, since I have AZP do my oil changes :redface: But it's only 3 bolts; 2 in the front, 1 in the rear.

From Paul in an email:

Sure,

1/8" ($215) or 3/16" ($235) thick? oil holes add $16 to either.

We recommend removing the plate for oil changes and find it quicker, easier and cleaner.

From CDN 2.5i in a PM:

Hi Pat,

I should probably update that thread. Paul sent me a spacer and a longer bolt to allow me to fit the skidplate with my borla replica header. Ran it for a year no issues.

1. Yes - this is the primary reason I bought the skidplate. I wrapped my headers and wanted the wrap to last as long as possible and felt that keeping road spray, salt, other crap off it would help prolong the life of the wrap.

2. No cutouts. I would get it without for sure. Much simpler to just unbolt and remove the skidplate entirely, whether you're doing it or a shop is. 3 bolts, two at the front, one at the rear. More work than without a skidplate but way better than having to deal with spilled oil if trying to do it just with cutouts.

3. Held up well until I bottomed out by car on a huge depression last winter. See http://www.ottawasubaru.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27809

I have since removed it and not replaced it. I'm lowered with Swifts/Bilsteins and because of the spacer and how it needed to clear my headers, it actually sat quite low at the very rear. IIRC, only about 4 inches of clearance. It would contact stuff once in a while on the road - had held up great until the aforementioned 'pothole'.

Due to the cost of replacement, I haven't bothered. I think I'll see how the wrap holds up - possibly get these headers ceramic coated if/when the wrap eventually falls off. Then I shouldn't really need the skidplate at all.

Bottom line, I think it worked well for what I expected but it was on the low side as far as clearance (with my particular suspension/header setup) and that ultimately ended up being a concern.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Thanks for the information. Anyone have any experience installing this skid plate? Removing it seems like it would be easy, but anyone know if it is difficult to hold up and bolt on at the same time? I'd be laying on the ground with my car on ramps.

I've been doing some more research and it seems that the skid is pretty on and off so I'm prob not going to get any holes in it for the added protection.

Unfortunately, they only have the 3/16" version now which costs more. Anyone think it would be worth getting the rear diff cover too?

Well, seeing as they're usually intended for serious off-roaders/rally-x, I don't think it'd be worth it if yours is just a DD that sees 99% asphalt/tarmac with the occasional camping grass and gravel driveways lol. Up to you though. If you do, post up pics!

I also got the 3/16. I'm assuming they're not producing any more as the demands aren't that high anymore for 4th gen 2.5i's.

I was thinking the same. I do want to get both for my Outback though. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Got an invoice on Friday evening and they charged my card so hopefully I'll have a skid plate soon!

That's all I need to be ready for winter. I've already detailed inside and out, switched to my winter wheels/tires, and replaced the cabin filter.

My wife's car... is another story (I need to replace tie rods and suspension, get an alignment and have her snow tires mounted and balanced before her car is ready)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived