LegacyGT.com

Should I go with a used or rebuilt CVT

My 2013 legacy with 71k miles needs a new CVT. Luckily I am covered with a powertrain warranty.

My dealership called me and told me the warranty company will either put a used transmission with 50k miles on it in my car for free.

However they also gave me the option pay 300$ for a rebuilt transmission that is considered zero miles.

Should I pay the 300$ for the rebuilt?

This is complicated by the fact that I literally have about 300$ to my name so I will struggle if I go with the rebuilt but can anyone tell me if this will be worth it in the long run?

Isn't there some Subaru factory warranty extension for the CVT:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2017/07/07/facing-complaints-subaru-offers-extended-warranties-on-1-5-million-vehicles/amp/

I would have thought if it's factory warranty, you'd be getting a NEW CVT at no cost.

I agree that it should be covered under the factory warranty, especially with the extension.

Thank you for your responses

I now realize my used car dealership might be up to some shady business.

I ended up paying the 300 dollars for a remanned transmission but when I was talking to my technician he let it slip that he was in communication with Subaru.

I have a feeling they are using my warranty to get a free transmission from Subaru and simpily swiped my card for 300$

is subaru obligated to pay my used car dealership for labor also?

I was also provided a free loaner car that I have had for about 7 days so its not like im being fully screwed over however I am going to contact subaru and find out if the dealership used my warranty.

Thanks again everyone with the replies,

I am in the process of getting into contact with Subaru.

I got my car back and it feels great with the new transmission.

Unfortunately I noticed on my invoice that the technician damaged 2 ball joints and they also replaced them while the car was being worked on. I immediately noticed that I seem to have lost some power steering.

Is it possible that the power steering was damaged while the transmission was being worked on? I do not know know much about cars and am not sure if the two are related.

Thanks again everyone with the replies,

I am in the process of getting into contact with Subaru.

I got my car back and it feels great with the new transmission.

Unfortunately I noticed on my invoice that the technician damaged 2 ball joints and they also replaced them while the car was being worked on. I immediately noticed that I seem to have lost some power steering.

Is it possible that the power steering was damaged while the transmission was being worked on? I do not know know much about cars and am not sure if the two are related.

To remove the transmission, you have to disconnect the front axles. The ball joints were likely damaged while removing them. The power steering could have been damage while replacing the transmission. It is very tight under where the engine/transmission connects and the power steering rack is under that connection. I would check the power steering fluid level and check for power steering leaks. (The power steering uses ATF)

Edited by dgoodhue

If you're bored I'd be curious to see pics from behind your front wheels sometime. Just curious to see if anything stands out as being abnormal.

Since you said you don't know much about cars, I took some screenshots from this video to label some of the things that are behind the wheel.

Yep, my pictures are horrible, but better than nothin

1.thumb.png.b1e5462cd407c449cec926230bb580c9.png

2.png.4a070cd4fc1ee2a74a0bcc8367204ac3.png

• 3 weeks later...
Didn't CVT models have electric power steering or is that the FB models?

Electric Power Steering was introduced in all Legacys and Outbacks at MY 2015. There is no relation between EPS and the engine or transmission type.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png