LegacyGT.com

Shell v-power gas?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does any one know if that new shell gas the v-power; or what erver its called,

any good and if i should buy some.

right now im puting in regular gas .

What do you mean regular gas-at least 91 right? v power is just an additive, I dont see any difference.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

I noticed a difference on that V-power thing, I always seemed to do more miles on it

You are wasting money putting Premium petrol in a non-turbo like the 2.5i.

You state "seemed" to get more miles. That is anecdotal evidence. Post some numbers for driving exactly the same road under the same conditions.

Here's a quote from a company that researchs fuels and lubricants

Then after you get a history of good mileage with a good gasoline, you can alter your choice of gasoline. Going to higher octane alone is like going swimming in the Everglades. Chances are, the power will drop off, your engine will run hot and mileage will decay. It seems best efficiency (or optimum pressure point) reached by the engine occurs when the fuel octane is correct. This optimum pressure occurs inside the engine cylinders when the piston is 15 degrees after top dead center. Too high an octane may cause optimum pressure to occur at 25 or 35 degrees after top center which means late timing that causes power to drop. Too low an octane rating will cause peak pressure to happen at 5 or 10 degrees after top center. Such early timing leads to detonation, loss of power and even engine damage. So you just cannot beat proper timing with proper gasoline.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

You are wasting money putting Premium petrol in a non-turbo like the 2.5i.

You state "seemed" to get more miles. That is anecdotal evidence. Post some numbers for driving exactly the same road under the same conditions.

Here's a quote from a company that researchs fuels and lubricants

Then after you get a history of good mileage with a good gasoline, you can alter your choice of gasoline. Going to higher octane alone is like going swimming in the Everglades. Chances are, the power will drop off, your engine will run hot and mileage will decay. It seems best efficiency (or optimum pressure point) reached by the engine occurs when the fuel octane is correct. This optimum pressure occurs inside the engine cylinders when the piston is 15 degrees after top dead center. Too high an octane may cause optimum pressure to occur at 25 or 35 degrees after top center which means late timing that causes power to drop. Too low an octane rating will cause peak pressure to happen at 5 or 10 degrees after top center. Such early timing leads to detonation, loss of power and even engine damage. So you just cannot beat proper timing with proper gasoline.

Thanks for the sarcasm, much appreciated.

I have a Turbo'ed Car. Thats why it says GT near my picture. And yeah, using Shell-v power 91 in canuckistan burned slower than using PetroCanada 91. Why? cause I commuted on the same routes, at the same times, and got better "MPG" undersame conditions. I am not going out of my way to make a video of me travelling on the same road, using different gasolines, making sure the wind is the same speed, the road is the same "dryness" with the same amount of "particles of dust and rocks", the tires are the same wear, my alignment being absolutely perfect, my engine being the exact same temperature, my oil being the exact same (impossible because it would depreciate atleast a little bit), my acceleration is the exact same (I am not a robot)....and so on and so forth....TWICE....so....what I am going to say again, my car seemed to do better with shell vpower than other brands. So, I dont care if it does or does not, if it satisfies me mentally and makes me feel better during the day, than so be it.

You two are misunderstanding each other. Zhab is comparing 91oct gasoline from two different vendors. Zin is talking about general 87 v 91 octane.

Thanks for the sarcasm, much appreciated.

I have a Turbo'ed Car. Thats why it says GT near my picture. And yeah, using Shell-v power 91 in canuckistan burned slower than using PetroCanada 91. Why? cause I commuted on the same routes, at the same times, and got better "MPG" undersame conditions. I am not going out of my way to make a video of me travelling on the same road, using different gasolines, making sure the wind is the same speed, the road is the same "dryness" with the same amount of "particles of dust and rocks", the tires are the same wear, my alignment being absolutely perfect, my engine being the exact same temperature, my oil being the exact same (impossible because it would depreciate atleast a little bit), my acceleration is the exact same (I am not a robot)....and so on and so forth....TWICE....so....what I am going to say again, my car seemed to do better with shell vpower than other brands. So, I dont care if it does or does not, if it satisfies me mentally and makes me feel better during the day, than so be it.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

According to Shell, their regular and mid-grade fuels contain more than 2X the minimum levels of detergents, helping the engine run more efficiently over time by slowing the build-up of carbon deposits. Shell claims V-Power (premium) actually reduces build-up that already exists. I always use Shell regular in my 2.5 & Shell V-Power in my 3.0 (to match octanes recommended by Subaru) and have no complaints. In fact, my gas mileage on the 2.5 often exceeds the EPA ratings.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=us-en&FC3=/us-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/optimax/optimax_about_ga_1602.html&FC2=/us-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/zzz_lhn3_4_0.html

Turboed Legacys are high-compression, hence recommend using premium unleaded, is that correct?

Ummm, more like required. As for Shell versus ,for instance Sunoco, there is not really much of a diff. It's the additives that make a difference and you never know what you really get in terms of additives, let alone how atmospheric pressure and dew points can effect your motor. Use what is recommended (91+0. after that use what you like. Sometimes your motor will feel like bear, enjoy it.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Turboed Legacys are high-compression, hence recommend using premium unleaded, is that correct?

Subaru doesn't say premium is recommended on turbo models, it says premium is required. Subaru recommends using premium in the 3.0 H6, but says it is not required for that engine.

So sayeth Subaru...

Turbo? Always use premium.

3.0 H6? Better if you use premium, but won't damage anything if you don't.

2.5? Always use regular.

I go through about a tank of gas every 4 or 5 days(almost alwasy the same route as other routes take as long or longer) and I have to say shell does give me about 2mpg better.Worth the extra $.10 premium/gallon as compare to BP etc...? I think that depends on the price of gas.

I hate how where conco, amaco, or 7-11 sit on one corner of the street and shell at the other and shell still charges more then its competitors.

I hate how where conco, amaco, or 7-11 sit on one corner of the street and shell at the other and shell still charges more then its competitors.

That's probably because, for one thing, Shell's Citi Platinum Select MasterCard (and presumably other variants) offers a 5% rebate on gas purchases. With 93 oct at $2.50+/gal it adds up.

does any one know if that new shell gas the v-power; or what erver its called,

any good and if i should buy some.

right now im puting in regular gas .

I actually noticed in my 2.5 that the vpower gave my car less gas mileage, and alouder engine noise---I run Mobil regular---get very close to 30mpg ----24-25 around town ans very quiet engine noise.

My boss claims Chevron is the best. I use either Chevron or Shell. Shell stations around here usually seem cleaner, better lit, and have higher quality pumps IMO.

i read someplace that Chevron Techron and Shell V-power are essentially the same. V-Power is just a very good copy of techron. Don't quote me on that however.

I have aways used BP here in nebraska because its the only place i can find 92.

I love my car ... basically.

My 2 cents:

My step-father of 20 years has been in the Gasoline industry for nearly 40 years. Shell is a competitor to him. That said he has always told me (in the last 5 years or so) that it's widely accepted in the industry that Shell and Chevron are the two best brands you can put in your car and actually DO something for your engine and performance, not just advertising. There aren't really any convenient Shell locations for me, so I still buy his brand of gas (because he has like 4 or 5 very convenient locations for me) but I will typically buy Shell if it's an option.

Archived