LegacyGT.com

scratched windshield (inside)

Yes, it was supposed to say "scratched windshield"...I fat fingered it.

Well, I noticed today that there are a few scratches on the inside of my windshield. They must be from when I was a little more indiscriminate about what I used to clean the car's interior. They're not deep at all but annoying when the sun hits them the right way. Is there a product that might be able to help me get rid of these scratches? I have some polish (for paint) that I've used on the exterior of other cars before but I really have no idea if this would just make matters worse if used on glass.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I obviously need it :) Thanks.

Chris

Fixed the title for ya.

How the hell did you scratch the glass on the inside? Got some bling on the fingers?

Thanks!

I seriously wish I knew what I did. I can't imagine that I used anything that abbrasive on it (the worst was probably a sponge) but they are there and don't want to go away.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd post an update in case anybody else ever runs up against the same problem. I did some research online and found that there isn't a lot of support for getting scratches out of glass due to the risk of distortion after essentially grinding away part of the glass. One place I went to recommended using toothpaste. That didn't work. I tried a product called Janvil Scratch Remover. While it did help a little bit on some of the very very fine scratches, the larger ones remained untouched. I called many glass repair shops in town and none of them would even touch this. The whole situation finally came to a head recently while driving at night and realizing that I could barely see due to all of the light from other cars refracting off of the scratches. I called me insurance company and told them my story and they said they'd replace it! So, minus the $100 deductible, I'm getting a new windshield today. And I've learned my lesson...nothing more course than a microfiber towel will ever touch anything on my car again.

Chris

As was said, microfiber is the best choice (and of course, they can be washed and reused). The worse choices are wood fiber products (paper towels) which have pretty printed designs (abrasive ink patterns). Probably more important is that the glass should always be cleaned "wet". The dust and grime that accumulates on a windshield can be pretty abrasive.

By far, the best stuff I've ever used to clean windshields, both inside and outside, is Stoner's "Invisible Glass" It does an excellent job of removing the inside smeary film of interior plastic crud that can build up on hot days. See http://www.invisibleglass.com/

The only down side of "Invisible Glass" is that it removes RainX, so I tend to use RainX windshield washer fluid (the orange stuff) on the outside and save the "Invisible Glass" for the inside surfaces only.

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

• 1 month later...
checking through the "vacation pics" - pre-delivery inspection section - i noticed that Subaru recommends cerium oxide (a glass polishing agent) be used for scratches on glass. anyone have experience with this product and know where a small supply can be found? thanks.

Archived