LegacyGT.com

Scoob noob about to buy a '12 Legacy 3.6r, any last min advice?

Hello scooby folks!

Just joined up from Edmonton, Canada, because Ive narrowed down a weeks worth of viewing and test driving cars to two choices.

1) Subaru 2012 Legacy 3.6 with 162 KM @ $10,000 CAD *

2) Acura 2012 TL AWD with 200KM @ $9,000 CAD

*the legacy inspection report shows a, 'timing cover leak', and is dealer priced repair cost at 990 CAD consisting of a $21 part and $969 labor (due to pulling the engine out).

also a rear sway bar bushing replace at $60 parts and $85 labor.

After reading around here, it seems common problems experienced with Subaru's are burning oil, possible head gasket damage, some electrical problems and a torque converter issue. I've also seen there is a lemon law case with the CVT engine.

On a side note, this discussions isnt specifically to do with these cases but a topic just to get a general consensus on the ownership experience of the Legacy.

Just before I drop my dollar bills on a vehicle, please could you help me and write up what youve experienced about owning the 3.6 legacy, simple cliff notes or pro/con points would immensely help me give peace of mind.

Big question is, knowing what you know now and what youve experienced through ownership, would you by another?

I enjoyed the test drive, and it surfed through the snow we have on the roads, this vehicle will be used for a weekly 10 hour drive (5 hours to work, then 5 hours back home) and lots of mountain adventures.

Thank you very much for your time.

Edited by RumbleRo

I’ve only test driven a 3.6R so I can’t comment much on ownership experience. However, the 3.6R has a traditional five speed automatic through model year 2014 so no CVT worries there. When fixing the sway bar, might as well upgrade to a stiffer one as it really wakes up the handling. Lots of threads about that on here. That timing cover repair cost actually sounds low to me...

As for the Acura, here in the US some of the 3.7 liter V6 engines had oil consumption issues and there was an extended warranty to replace pistons and rings. That said, SH-AWD is awesome! It will may also require premium fuel depending on tuning for the Canadian market.

I’ve only test driven a 3.6R so I can’t comment much on ownership experience. However, the 3.6R has a traditional five speed automatic through model year 2014 so no CVT worries there. When fixing the sway bar, might as well upgrade to a stiffer one as it really wakes up the handling. Lots of threads about that on here. That timing cover repair cost actually sounds low to me...

As for the Acura, here in the US some of the 3.7 liter V6 engines had oil consumption issues and there was an extended warranty to replace pistons and rings. That said, SH-AWD is awesome! It will may also require premium fuel depending on tuning for the Canadian market.

Thanks. Yes, Im also doing some research on the TL too. I did like the pull on it too. Premium fuel is fine.

Ive had a CVT before and has a lemon law on it, its part of my hesitation on buying another again, the car I had was a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 V6.

The timing cover repair essentially was changing a seal, its just a heavily labor intensive task.

Thread on the rear sway bar. I installed the Whiteline 22mm myself in driveway on ramps, it came with new bushings. However, expect to change the end links too as any exposure to road salt renders them stuck to the original sway bar.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-sway-bar-upgrades-summary-278949.html?t=278949

Thank you. I saved this in case I got with the Subaru.

Also, I do have to note, the car was also dealership serviced from the beginning according to the carfax, Ill get the service notes on tuesday morning.