LegacyGT.com

s402/STI upgrade question

I'm in the process of buying an '05 Subaru legacy GT with the intentions of upgrading the car with the S402 parts, will everything be compatible on this car?

I don't think the front fenders are.

Are your wallet's deep? Do a search, someone on here did a conversion but now I think they are living in the car! :lol::spin:

You're looking at ~$4500 to convert an '05 USDM to the Rev.D-F JDM Spec.B setup. The price will vary depending on whether you can make USDM fenders work (should) and the quality of the paint job. I would guess no less than $4,000 and likely closer to the $5k mark.

I happen to have this bumper skin sitting in my basement, although I'm strongly considering doing a Rev.A-C swap and selling the skin to an '08+ Legacy owner.

I'll want to replace the fenders too, from what I heard the fenders are flared out on the S402 to accomodate the new bumper and the bbs wheels, but other than that I should be fine? As far as the $$, oh I'll be working double jobs to get the project done. I was gonna get an '08 spec b for the conversion but couldn't get financed for the amount, so now I'm trying for that '05 GT.

You can't source S402 fenders without a matching S402 VIN and registration (supposedly). You'd probably be better off saving for the '08 spec.b since you will 1) have a new(er) car, 2) have a much better suspension/transmission to start from and 3) you can probably use the stock fenders until you can afford some of the ~$700/side fenders available from Japan. But hey, if you can do it I'd love to see it happen.

I tried to go for an '08, it fell through, this is my only other shot. True the '08 is newer and has the 6 spd transmission and suspension, but the suspension will still be replaced with the STI parts, the engine, and all the rest. Basically all the stuff that I would probably be looking to upgrade on the '05 I'll end up replacing on the '08 with the exception of the transmission which the '08 has, that's probably different too. It all has to go, but I need that car pretty bad to get started on plans.

Like I said, if you can do it, more power to you. I guess I'm just looking at it as if you can't really afford the '08, which is admittedly better in that it's newer, more refined, and comes with the 6MT/R180 and aluminum suspension, then how are you going to afford making these changes to an '05 along with the upkeep of a ~75,000+mi turbo/AWD car? The 6MT/R180 and suspension is already an ~$8k proposition, never mind the aftermarket stuff (coilovers, sways, bracing, wheels/tires). Then you want to spend $4.5k on body stuff and probably a minimum of $2.5k on engine stuff? That is ~$15,000 + the cost of the car (~$13k?) only to have a 5 year old, ~75,000mi, Stage 2 Legacy with a body kit and stock suspension.

You are much much better off spending that $28k on the spec.B and having a newer, better car to live with while you work on the project. If your heart is set on it though, post up some pics once you have the car. :)

You can't source S402 fenders without a matching S402 VIN and registration (supposedly).

You may need to contact HKC-Speed (one of the vendors on these forums) about getting those fenders and bumper. But as it stands right now, SOJ will not sell S402 parts to non S402 cars. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me, since SOA shafted us on another STI Legacy. But if you can get them, get ready to bend over and grab your ankles. They are damn expensive. The S402 grill alone is close to $400!!!

In terms of bodywork, the 05 or 08 will suffice - you're going to be changing the entire front end (headlights, bumper, grill) anyways if you want the Rev D bumper to go on. The thing is that if you aren't able to source S402 fenders - which I've found to be pretty much impossible to this point - you wouldn have to purchase new fenders to accomodate the 08 style lights. The big issue is finding an S402 owner that'll play ball and help you out in by ordering parts on your behalf.

The issue is that there are only 402 owners (obviously haha), virtually all who are located in Japan. Plus there's the language barrier. You'd also need one who is on online forums too (to get in contact). A bunch of factors need to line up, though, if you throw enough money on the table, anything is possible.

I personally wouldve opted for the 08, though being unable to

get financing would throw a wrench in that. Make sure you've got a nice stack of money lined up too, like everyone has said.

Also, try the Japanese auction sites like Yahoo Auctions Japan.. I've seen some S402 parts there, such as complete exhaust systems. Though, you're going to have to figure out all the shipping logistics yourself, and either find a friend to translate for you, or learn to read and write Japanese.

An STI S402 costed about 48,000USD+ right? I kind of see myself spending less overall for the car and all the parts that go toward upgrading. I have people that will do the work on the car. I can find a car for about 10,000, and at least another 15,000 to 20,000 for the body and performance parts which I don't mind.

Here the list of parts you will need. Contact Yuki @ Japanparts and I'm sure he'll work up a quote, shipped to your door. Please remember to post pics when you're done!

I've just found out all the list of the S402 parts, so maybe everyone want to see it:

Sti FRONT CARBON UNDER SPOILER WITH RUBBER LIP

S402 ORIGINAL FRONT GRILLE WITH ORNAMENT

S402 ORIGINAL FRONT FENDER WITH FENDER GRILLE

S402 ORIGINAL DOOR MIRROR WITH SIDE TURN LAMP

Sti TRUNK SPOILER

S402 ORIGINAL REAR ORNAMENT

STI REAR ORNAMENT

S402 ORIGINAL HID HEADLAMP WITH AUTO LEVELER AND WASHER

S402 ORIGINAL 2.5L DOHC TURBO ENGINE

S402 ORIGINAL 6M/T TRANSMISSION

S402 ORIGINAL MUFFLER (65mm dualx2, STI CUTTER WITH S402 LOGO, END PLATE WITH S402 LOGO)

S402 ORIGINAL TWIN SCROLL TURBO

S402 ORIGINAL TUNING ECU

Sti AIR ELEMENT

Sti TURNING BILSTEIN FRONT STRUT AND SPRING

Sti TURNING BILSTEIN REAR DAMPER AND SPRING

S402 ORIGINAL 13.0:1 STEERING GEAR BOX

BREMBO WITH SILVER PAINT FRONT MONO BLOCK 6PODS BRAKE CALIPER WITH STI LOGO

BREMBO 18INCH 2 PIECE TYPE FRONT DISK ROTOR

BREMBO WITH SILVER PAINT REAR 2PODS BRAKE CALIPER WITH STI LOGO

BREMBO 17INCH 2 PIECE TYPE FRONT DISK ROTOR

S402 ORIGINAL BBS 18x8JJ ALUMINUM WHEEL

S402 ORIGINAL 235/40R 18TIRE MADE BY POTENZA

Sti PILLOW BALL BUSH REAR SUSPENSION LINK (LATERAL LINK FRONT AND REAR)

Sti FLEXIBLE TOWER BAR FRONT

Sti FLEXIBLE LOWER ARM BAR

Sti FLEXIBLE FLOOR BAR REAR

S402 ORIGINAL ENGINE COVER WITH ORNAMENT

VDC

LEATHER SEAT WITH STI LOGO (ONLY FRONT SEAT)

SEAT POSITION MEMORY FOR FRONT RH AND LH

S402 ORIGINAL 260km METER WITH STI LOGO (MULTI INFORMATION DISPLAY/ ECO GAUGE & INFO ECO LAMP/ SHIFT UP INDICATOR

S402 ORIGINAL MOMO LEATHER STEERING WITH STI ORNAMENT (AUDIO REMOTE CONTROL SWITCH/ MULTI INFORMATION DISPLAY SELECTOR/ SI-DRIVE SWITCH

S402 ORIGINAL LEATHER SHIFT KNOB WITH S402 LOGO

Sti PUSH ENGINE START SWITCH

S402 ORIGINAL DOOR TRIM (LEATHER)

BLACK INTERIOR (PILLAR TRIM/ ROOF TRIM/ REAR GATE TRIM FOR WAGON)

S402 ORIGINAL CUP HOLDER (DARK METAL RING & RED ILLUMINATION)

S402 ORIGINAL SIDE SILL PLATE (ALUMINUM LOGO FRONT AND REAR)

Sti CARPET MAT

SERIAL NUMBER PLATE BOTH ENGINE ROOM AND INTERIOR

PREMIUM ACCESSORY (S402 LEATHER KEY CASE & S402 ORIGINAL CASE

FRONT BUMPER IS SPEC B USE ONE.

Yuki

Japanparts.com

As soon as I get that car then it begins....

Good luck with getting the S402 parts. 20K is going to be almost a third of the cost. Might as well pull out a huge car loan from your bank.

When you are done with your car, can I buy it for $15K? :lol::lol: That is how much it will be worth. :)

Leke :mad::spin::lol:

Haha damn, I was gonna be pretty excited if someone was using the name TEKE (I am a TKE), but no, you're only leke!

Anyways OP, post pics up as you go along. I'm sure a lot of us are looking forward to seeing how/if this turns out.