LegacyGT.com

Ringland, burnt valve or??

I have a 2005 EJ259 (NA) with a 14psi supercharger on it. It misfires on cyl 1 and only occurs under high load higher rpm (5200+rpm). I have tried swapping coil, plug, wires and injector and it doesn't go away. It is the highest leaking cylinder, around 8% and the leakage feels like it is coming from the exhaust valves (I did the leak down test with the motor out and felt air on the exhaust side of the head). Compression is still really decent like 175psi. I'm thinking about having the heads redone but thinking I should be considering popping the cylinder out of the bore to examine it. Any ideas on the symptoms? Edited by pjcampbell

What is the gap on the spark plugs ?

For a boosted motor you close the gap. GT's run .028" On are race car at 35psi we ran a gap of .018"

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks - I've tried both coppers and iridiums down to .021" . Right now it's on copper's but I think iridiums are superior for boost. It is only misfiring on cyl #1 (all running same plugs and gap). These are both #6 plugs. I have not tried #7's and not really sure if they are necessary. It only makes about 380-400 crank hp. but if I figure out the problem will go up to about 450 crank hp and ~17psi.

I am sure I can and should run quite a bit larger gap than .021", I just shrunk it down so far in an effort to see if the misfire would go away.

I do run water/meth, so there is more "stuff" in the cylinder to get a spark through but #3,2 and 4 have no issues.

Edited by pjcampbell

Have you called NGK and asked for Tech Support. tell them what your doing, they may have a better plug to use.

I talked with them back when we boosted the Honda 1.6L single cam.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
Have you called NGK and asked for Tech Support. tell them what your doing, they may have a better plug to use.

I talked with them back when we boosted the Honda 1.6L single cam.

I haven't tried talking to NGK but the BKR6EIX is an excellent spark plug so it should not really give me any issues.