LegacyGT.com

Replacing O2 Sensor - Need Some Help

Iltl32

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for reading. 2007 Subaru Legacy Limited 2.5i, 50k miles.

I'm getting error code P0131. The problem seems to be O2 Sensor 1, Bank 1. I figure I'll just replace the sensor (tried cleaning it per a friend's suggestion. Cleared CEL for a day or two). Here come the questions:

I'm seeing 2 sensors under the hood. One directly in front of the engine, and one to the lower passenger side (better reached under the car than through the hood). How can I tell which is Sensor 1 Bank 1?

From what I've read it looks like I can get a 4-wire universal sensor for $30 and splice the wires on it to the wires on my current sensor cable. Is it really that easy? Do the wire colors just match up?

Thanks guys.

Update for those interested:

I'm just assuming bank 1 sensor 1 would be upstream, so I'm replacing the one at the front of the engine.

I bit the bullet and bought a universal sensor from Auto Zone. They're half the price online but I wanted to have at least a chance to return it if it doesn't work out. The worker at Auto Zone told me the wire colors should match up (though I think she just wanted to make the sale).

I'll install it within the next few days (waiting for the weather to get above Arctic).

I'll be sure to update.

Major setback. The Subaru sensor has a big washer/cover plate on it that the universal sensor doesn't. I've looked at OEM sensors and they don't include this plate so there must be a way to get it off but I can't figure it out. It doesn't unscrew. If I go without I'll have a nice gap for water to sit in and rust. I'm going to ask the dealer next time I'm there.

I'm a little disappointed about the lack of responses on here. Many of you must have had to deal with this at some point.

Picture of the little bastard included. I want to reiterate that it does not screw off. There's a smaller washer below it holding it on that does not fit over the threads.

http://i.imgur.com/dFguG.jpg

Guess I'm paying the big(ger)bucks for an OEM one. Sucks going from $30 to $100 just for that extra washer.

For posterity's sake, the conclusion of this thread: Universal O2 sensors aren't usable for the Legacy.

I've looked around and found these prices (some were by phone so may be different in different areas):

Dealer = $250

Local Stores (Autozone, Advanced, CeeKay) = $120 to $200

AutopartsWarehouse.com (terrible customer service, by the way) = $150

The Amazon link posted above by tusnami = $100

I'm really hoping the Amazon one lincludes the washer I need (it has pictures of ones with and without). It explicitly says it will fit my car but every Universal Sensor I've read says that as well and it's not ture (it may technically work but it leaves a gap).

I left the washed off, it is so hot there that any water that touches the metal vaporizes on contact, also there was no place for water to collect on a gt/xt manifold, your install went better than mine, had to remove the enitre manifold due to the sensor being seized in the manifold, took a impact and a half bottle of propane to get mine free :( also ordered my sensor from autozone online it is a bosch 15011 for $90 plus tax, shipping was free (the bosch 15011 does not come with the washer)

• 1 year later...

Next time you have to replace an O2 sensor that you haven't already replaced, here is how to do it so it will come out easily:

Heat the pipe AROUND the sensor until it's red. Do NOT heat the sensor. You will need an oxyacetylene torch in order to do this. Heat the pipe until it's red all around the sensor and then hit it with a cold bottle of water and quench it. It will come loose easily after you do this. When you install the new one, put nickel anti-seize on the threads and do NOT overtighten. There are instructions with the new sensor as to how to tighten and DO follow them as if they are too tight, it can cause problems with warping the metal cone.

If you don't have an oxyacetylene torch, then buy MAPP gas for your propane torch as it burns 200 degrees hotter than propane and heat it up around the sensor for a long time. It would most likely take about an hour to heat it red which is too long but heat it for a while and then quench it and it should help. The instant temperature change releases the threads by shrinking the metal around the sensor.

Remember, anti-seize is your best friend whenever you take ANY bolts loose on a Subaru.

• 1 year later...

Archived