LegacyGT.com

Replace turbo

I recently hit 205k on my 06 legacy gt. So far only had to replace valve covers. I pulled the exhaust off to take a look at the turbo. How do the blades look to y'all? I didn't notice and play in it. The blades look like they are starting to chip.

turbo1.thumb.png.8bb6c12240f5dd63c506be56e9cecef4.png

1840149027_turbo2.thumb.png.e11b444d94e3968124be1fe492aa427a.png

Edited by 2soon

I didn't notice any play at all. Just alot of caked up oil around the front side of the turbo. Intercooler looked pretty clean inside. No pools of oil in the hose. Edited by 2soon

That's a lot of miles on the original turbo for sure. The turbo inlet tube will get pretty suspect over time, the PCV valve and the TGV gaskets too.

I just replaced all of these on my wagon at 191k miles. My turbo seemed fine, but the inlet was weak, TGV gaskets are right there if you lift the manifold.

Thanks for the responses. Thank you for the compliment also . I love my legacy!!! Some of the fans looked chipped on the top side and after reading about all the horror stories it had me worried. I will check the banjo filter and make sure it’s clean . Clean the inter cooler out and batten it all back up. Anything else I should check? I’ve already replaced my PCV valve and new O2 sensors already.

On the outside is all the pb blaster I had to use. Inside I have no idea. I check the oil regular it’s usually down, but I thought it was normal in these cars. I can’t tell if it smokes. It’s been in the 20s for a few months. When it warms up I’ll follow it down the road.

Sounds stupid to say sometimes....but, if one of the important parts of your car is in questionable order (mileage, possible sketchy condition), replace it. Had mine done by jmp and couldn't be happier with his help. Getting the tgv delete requires a tune, so why not new turbo/up pipe/tune then lots of smiles afterwards?

• 2 weeks later...

If your still around, the TGV seals should be the newer larger orange one's not the old black ones. You should be able to see them with a good flashlight.

They can be a PITA to replace as you need to lift the intake manifold one side at time. I did mine the drivers side first by just removing what I had to so I could lift it 3/8 to 1/2". There are clamps under the manifold that want to pull it down.

Just take your time and only remove what you need too. I did mine back in 2011.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here