LegacyGT.com

Removing Ebrake cable from rear knuckle?

You'll have to get the rotor off and disassemble the little drum brake inside to get the tip of the cable free. Then there is some kind of retainer where the cable penetrates the backing plate. Mine is rear drum, so I haven't seen it, but the SVX I did the other day had a little spring clip that retained the cable in the backing plate. It was super easy. My old Mopar has three ears on the cable that act like barbs on an arrow head to hold it in. It is possible to press in any two of them at a time, but all three at once is impossible so I usually consider a need to remove that cable as totalling out the car. lol.

Seriously, I'm sure Subaru is too smart to use this method.

I'll go look at my manuals and see if there are any details...

Looks like it has a little horse shoe shaped spring clip same as the SVX.

The backing plate has a tube on it that the cable goes through. The tube has a pair of slits on it and the cable has a shoulder that lines up with the slits. Then the horse shoe grabs the cable through the slits.

Edited by doublechaz

You'll have to get the rotor off and disassemble the little drum brake inside to get the tip of the cable free. Then there is some kind of retainer where the cable penetrates the backing plate. Mine is rear drum, so I haven't seen it, but the SVX I did the other day had a little spring clip that retained the cable in the backing plate. It was super easy. My old Mopar has three ears on the cable that act like barbs on an arrow head to hold it in. It is possible to press in any two of them at a time, but all three at once is impossible so I usually consider a need to remove that cable as totalling out the car. lol.

Seriously, I'm sure Subaru is too smart to use this method.

I'll go look at my manuals and see if there are any details...

Looks like it has a little horse shoe shaped spring clip same as the SVX.

The backing plate has a tube on it that the cable goes through. The tube has a pair of slits on it and the cable has a shoulder that lines up with the slits. Then the horse shoe grabs the cable through the slits.

I can do this with the hub still attatched to the assembly?

Yes. It's part of brake service.

The cable comes generally from the front and then it goes into the brake backing plate at an angle and then from there fastens to the parking brake arm on the rear shoe. The spring clip is on the outside of the brake backing plate. If you have an extensive collection of weird slim nose pliers and a good deal of dexterity you may be able to get the cable off the arm at the rear shoe without taking the rest of the brakes apart, but I would plan on that not working out. First, you'll have to remove the caliper so you can get the rotor off so you can get to the drum brake inside it.