LegacyGT.com

Rebuild with a 2019 STi shortblock

So the '05 needs a new shortblock and Turbo.

Google has failed me...Does anyone know how to guarantee getting '19 STi block? If I've got to go to the trouble I might as well get the better Pistons.

You'd need to find out the part number for the 19 STI block, if it is in fact different. Have they even sold any 19 STIs yet?

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/a/Subaru_2018_STI-STI-25L-TURBO-6MT/_54102_6464094/ENGINE-ASSEMBLY-SHORT-BLOCK-ENGINE-ASSEMBLY/V10-001-02.html

When your order the ej257, you get the current version they have in stock. Don't worry you'll be fine with any ej257.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It is the same part number as the RA short block. Looking at the 2019 parts catalog is actually how someone on NASOIC figured out a month before the press release of the 2019 STI’s that they were getting the RA engine upgrades.

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Subaru_2018_STI-TYPE-RA-25L-TURBO-6MT/SHORT-BLOCK-ENGINE-ASSEMBLY/72170986/10103AD020.html

Found it! Only $100 more for "better" pistons sounds like a deal to me!

Now to find out who can get this to me for $2k'ish shipped.....

No one has any in stock. It's on backorder through July. I just recieved one I ordered in March/April but it was damaged. Hopefully I can get another one in the July batch.

Let's ask this question, what are your HP goals ? Why do you think you need the better pistons ?

Just saying, I have over 100,000 miles on my stock ej257 from May 2012 at 21psi. runs great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

either, its fine.

There is the saying, it's all in the tune...

Honestly I haven't done any research on the pistons your talking about in the RA 2.5 engine.

either, its fine.

There is the saying, it's all in the tune...

Honestly I haven't done any research on the pistons your talking about in the RA 2.5 engine.

Haha. Got it. The pistons are an "upgraded" cast piston design by subaru. Most speculations are that the ringlands are reinforced.

I'm sure I could get by just fine on a current ej257 but I do go to at least 1 track event per year with my car and have enough mods to warrant upgraded pistons. I'd rather keep oem shortblock clearances and cast pistons over aftermarket forged for longevity purposes.

I know it's all in the tune and mine is fairly conservative for what I do. Hell, I don't even have boost over 17.5 on my vf52 (with billet compressor wheel, etc).

Let's ask this question, what are your HP goals ? Why do you think you need the better pistons ?

Just saying, I have over 100,000 miles on my stock ej257 from May 2012 at 21psi. runs great.

Come on Max! You're on an enthusiast car forum, in the "engine rebuild threads" forum and you are asking why do I think I need better pistons?!?!?!?!?

When you're spending $1800, why not spend $1900 to *hopefully* alleviate the Achilles heel of these engines. The whole reason I have to do a rebuild is because the ringlands gave out.

And since I've read several thousand of your posts on this forum...yes I am going to be getting a killer tune, probably from your guy.

Ok, just wanted to make sure I knew what your getting into :)

rhino, I realize you've been around here for a while and have a clue.

• 1 month later...
Cast pistons, even with a stellar tune, are still cast and still vulnerable to detonation. If you are ready to spend and want the best for the dollar, a set of forged rods and pistons is the ticket. Paired with a great tune is prob the most reliability one could hope for.

Not to get into the forged vs cast but IMO for most of us who use the car as a DD cast is fine. Keep the awhp below 350 is the general thought.

How many people with over 400awhp drive the car everyday... will have to agree, "it's all in the tune"

my stock ej257 just has almost 104,000 miles, no piston noise, runs great. Been in there over 6 years.

I'm sure that if I was in the market for a new ej257, I would have no problem spending the extra cash for the RA engine.

Archived