LegacyGT.com

Rear CV Joint Bad

It sounds and feels like the rear driver side CV joint is bad. When I turn to the right under slight throttle I hear a fairly loud metal click...click...click...click sound. It's not the wheel bearing as I just replaced that last month thinking it was that, but it's not.

Has anyone else have issues with their rear CV joint?

My wife's balls are delicious.

I know I'm not around here much...;) but I think you are the first. Somebody should give you a cookie... ;)

I have been wondering when mine were going to have issues...I hope your not starting something here. LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know I'm not around here much...;) but I think you are the first. Somebody should give you a cookie... ;)

I have been wondering when mine were going to have issues...I hope your not starting something here. LOL

It's odd, because I haven't seen any other member with this problem in the rear CV too. Maybe my car is that odd ball.

Over a month ago it was a slight clicking sound under tight turns, but now it's clicking every time I turn to the right. Not much sound going straight, but every once in a while I'll hear a slight clicking. That leads me to believe it's the CV joint.

That is the sound a CV makes when its bad, as you know. Like you I'm having a hard time believing its a rear CV.

I would think the next step would be to have a good look at it and see if there's any exterior indication that its bad.

Have to ask, your sure its not the front ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having this same problem, metal clicking while turning right under throttle. Left rear inner CV seems to have too much play. Problem is now finding a replacement axle/parts? Apparently no one sells these parts...

I am a auto, but a 5eat which i believe is different than a 4eat. I'm probably going to try to find an oem being parted, sounds like they don't fail often. My car gets lowered and raised every year so i'm sure that is hard on the rear axles.

Thanks Max, but our issue is the left rear axle. You question Benny regarding the front axles, which is good info to know. I search their site and they have the rear axles for $350.00. :eek:

Found a member doing a full part out with the same year and trans, seeing if he still has the rear axles.

The point is look around and see if the rear axles for the different cars are the same part number.

I'll bet a GT with a 5eat is the same rear axle as the 2.5i with a 5mt...or a GT with a 5mt.

Is it just me or does the PartsGeek link take you to a ebay, and other page ?

Oh yeah that's weird, I copied the address of the axles on PartsGeek. I'll delete the link for now until I can get a proper address up.

I would hope by now that most people know how to do a google search for what they want...yea right...;)

Most junk yards will have one, you could rebuild with OEM parts and swap it out with your bad one. Or rebuild yours.

• 1 month later...

Archived