LegacyGT.com

rack and pinion

I have a rack and pinion that leaks like a b****, I can't afford a new one so I found a guy in town parting out a 99 impreza for a ton cheaper than a rebuilt unit, I would like to know if this part will swap over to mine provided I buy the new outer tie rods.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i do not know what the differences are, but the parts manuals indicate that there is one.

but inb the world of subaru, there is not a HUGE difference.

(i don't think there is any difference at all, but with no first hand experience i do not really know.)

check out the part you need at http://www.car-part.com. if they show impreza parts that fit , well then you can use them. they will in fact fit.

you might also check out http://opposedforces.com/parts

they may shed some light on the subject.

He wants 45 for the r+p, 200 for the 4eat witch I may need soon, 300 for the 222.

I'm with both of you on this, I know it can't be too much of a difference inner or outer tie rods could be the difference or just routing...I won't lose much if I buy and it don't mock up so may be taking a small dive

No doubt I will, need it pretty bad and getting tired of that leak. Not sure on the mileage but I ran across some pictures of it, didn't look trashed, I'm going to see it tomorrow.

I want that motor too just for the block, want to put my dual port heads on it and see whats happening. Pipe dream at the moment lol... :)

I will give you my 222 block once I have time to slap the 222 heads on the 251 ...

That's awfully nice of you Alex thank you, if kenny needs a block hook a brotha up..he way closer to you then I am..monstrous shipping charges and all.

If this motor is undamaged I may spend the saved cash I have for Suspension on it.

about the rack, iirc some of the earlier ones will swap but maybe not the later ones. i don't remeber who or why or how i learned this.

but in my neck of the woods, a used rack is 45$ within 45 min. of me.

so check out http://www.car-part.com put in your zip and sort by distance.

the 99 impreza is a phase 2 ej22 engine, and i think a phase 2 auto trans. that means it will not swap into a 95 - 98 lego. not easily.

(the 99 - 00 auto trans in the ej22 cars were the same. same part numbers, same trans.)

you can use the short block, but i doubt the trans will go, ever.

unrelated to anything, i just scrapped a 00 ej25 short block. no heads, timing parts or components. just the block w/ internals, oil pan and flex plate. it weighed 120 lbs.

That just doesn't make too much sense to me that I could use the shortblock but not the transmission from a phase 2..I do know the phase two motors have 8 bolts to the bell housing but the four that I need to mate the motor up to my transmission are there and usable..

Maybe just difference in electronics and tcu but I have heard all ej series motor match up to any ej series transmission. I do not know enough about it to take THAT dive though. I'm going to be heading to the junkyard here in a bit and take a look at that impreza shortly after...ill see what the dilly is.

the phase 2 trans have more sensors in the trans and therefore more wires and a different connector. it will not match up with the wiring in the phase 1 cars. so yes, the harness and the tcu are different.

can it be made to work, well, with enough time and money anything is possible.

^true that john,

The trip to the junkyard didn't yield the rack or info I needed for it, bit I did score a shortshifter, linkage and what looks like kartboy blue bushings out of a 9-2x, u-joint from a seriously battered outback and a brand new msd 8239 coil date stamped 11/12 that works.

Alex, if kenny doesn't want that block I will probably be able to take you up on that, don't want to seem unthankful, I do appreciate it brotha.

My Outback is a 99 with Phase 2 everything. I'd take all of the 25D top end and bolt it to the 222 short block.

Related to John's engine weight statement, I just weighed my fully assembled 96 EJ25D motor (knock on the verge of coming right through the block) before I tore it down. It weighed 215 lbs

I want a high compression build too, but with 18e heads..yes I still haven't done the work and I sold my 18e I/m. I would like to try that h/c build with a 222 block 18e heads 25d ecu. I'm not sure how the ecu would jive but a guy on this forum and on s-li run there 22e on 25d ecu.

What I don't understand about the 18e/22e hybrid that I was thinking about doing is the 18e heads is that they are basically the same as the 22e but supposedly the 18e heads and manifold flow better and the cams are different. Nobody seems to know much about those 18e motors.

I want a high compression build too, but with 18e heads..yes I still haven't done the work and I sold my 18e I/m. I would like to try that h/c build with a 222 block 18e heads 25d ecu. I'm not sure how the ecu would jive but a guy on this forum and on s-li run there 22e on 25d ecu.

What I don't understand about the 18e/22e hybrid that I was thinking about doing is the 18e heads is that they are basically the same as the 22e but supposedly the 18e heads and manifold flow better and the cams are different. Nobody seems to know much about those 18e motors.

I don't even know much of anything about the 18E motors. Was never interested in them, so I never bothered. I think that's how most people are. I'd definitely be interested to learn how these builds turn out though. I've never seen a 2.2 with a 1.8 top end.

The whole 222 is in the car. You want the 251 with spun bearing or wait til I have the 222 block out ...

Ohhh gotcha. I'd wait for the 222 block. The 25D (with a 251 short block) in my Outback already has bearing issues lol

Archived