LegacyGT.com

Questions about Lower Arm Bar installs Front and Rear

inthedeck

Hi..I have searched, and these two threads provide some VERY good instructions. I have not found one on the 'rear' lower arm bar installations...and the instructions that I received with the bars are in Japanese...and I have NO way to decipher it.

1) For the fronts, beyond what is contained in the links below, will I need some other instructions/any helpful tips/etc.? Or basically, the tools, jackstands, and maybe some PB Blaster/WD40/etc to get the bolts off?

2) Is it easier to do before, after, or at the same time as the front swaybar?

Front Lower Arm Bar Links:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5656&highlight=Lower+Arm+Bar

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10766&highlight=Lower+Arm+Bar

3) For the rear Cusco Lower arm bars, what are the instructions, or could someone forward me to a link/thread? Maybe I didn't use the correct search parameters.

4) Also, would it be easier to do before the rear sway bar, at the same time, or after the rear sway bar?

5) What are the torque specs for the rear lower arm bars? Actually, they might be in one of the threads from above...but just for ease...could someone post them?

6) Lastly, with these pieces, will I be taking off some pieces? I assume the triangular plates and old bolts from the front arm bar install will be removed...is this correct? Anything coming off of the rear? except the old bolts, since I was provided with new ones?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...and thanks to the people who contributed to the threads above!!!

it's not hard to figure out the rear, you just need pics of them on the car to show you how they go.. basically one bar goes up and holds the chassis and the minor lateral link.. the other bar connects the minor lateral link and the major lateral link. The major lateral link is the one that has the bump stop pad and the toe centric bolt.

You can install the lower rears without unbolt swaybars or the exhaust.

All of these parts are very straight forward, just copy exactly what the pictures look like on the diagram of the instructions and you will be fine.. as for the torque specs the conversion is:

1 lb.ft = 1.36 Newton Neters = 0.138 Kilogram Meters

Keefe

Keefe

Thanks keefe...anyone have any pics of the rears? I think I have figured out the fronts...so that will be easy, and I figure once I have them out, might as well replace the front sway bar while I'm at it...one after the other. I will need ramps for one install, and jackstands for the other...so it might take a wee bit of time.

As for the rears...again, I will have to jack up the rear, install the lower arm bars, and then, drop it, put it on ramps, and then do the sway bar...not in any particular order.

Thanks again, and any pics would be appreciated. I will keep searching.

Thanks PGT...

Oh, and per what I read, you "chickened out" and didn't install these yourself, correct? Curious, how much did you end up paying for the install? Ball park figure?

Oh...and any idea of the torque specs on those bolts?

Thanks again for the pics...!

well, I did help DM with his after I had mine done. My car was in the shop for UP, DP front sway bar (I couldn't get the H-brace bolts loose) and brake stuff. I had it all done at a shop about two hours away for the cost that the local DC guys charge for an UP by itself - $425. I guess the front and rear Cusco bars would have been about $100 or less to install on their own.

Cool to know. I will be doing most of the same, minus the UP/DP, soon...since I now have all the parts sitting at home. Gonne be the fron and rear lower arm bars, and the front and rear sway bars. I have everything I need, except the time...hehe.

And I know I asked already, maybe someone else knows, the torque specs on the bolts for the lower arm bars, in the rear?

Oh, and per what I read, you "chickened out" and didn't install these yourself, correct? Curious, how much did you end up paying for the install? Ball park figure?

I chickened out on the rear install as well. pay'd 74.00 for install.

The car was shaking on the ramps when I was trying to loosen the bolts. The front install does not look as bad.

.any idea what the torque is on the bolts? I think I might die before I get the answer to that one...hehe...!images/smilies/lol.gif

Sorry I don't have that in front of me.

You could use a force "similiar" to the force required to loosen the bolts. (ducks..)

they will always turn more. to idea is turn them 1/4 turn less then it takes to break them. i would see the vacation pictures for tq specs

note the smiley - it implies I wasn't serious. ;)

As for specs....good luck. One of the bolts in the rear....you won't be able to fit a torque wrench in there. You'll need a 1/2" extension....good to have anyways for the install, given the position. We used an impact driver set on low.

I will check the pics, and report back. I will also make sure I have all the correct tools, before trying to hook eveything up. I know I have 'most' of them, but there's always the 'one' that I don't have/forgot to bring/etc.

Thanks for the help, all! I will let you know how the install goes, once I get to it sometime next week! Boy, vacations are great to monkey around on the car!

Just for the record, here is what I found...from one of the original threads mentioned above...

Thanks to Keefe:

for Cusco Rear Underbrace:

2 x 17mm Rear Chassis subframe bolts = 94 lbs +/- 14 lbs

Rear lateral link pivot bolts = 90 lbs +/- 14 lbs

for Cusco Front Underbrace:

17mm Front Chassis subframe bolts = 72 lbs +/-11 lbs

for Cusco Rear Underbrace:

2 x 17mm Rear Chassis subframe bolts = 94 lbs +/- 14 lbs

Rear lateral link pivot bolts = 90 lbs +/- 14 lbs

for Cusco Front Underbrace:

17mm Front Chassis subframe bolts = 72 lbs +/-11 lbs

I kinda answered my own question...Just had to read a little further into one of the threads, in which Keefe posted the numbers. Thanks, though, guys! Much appreciated.

EDIT: One other question...maybe Keefe, or Roby, might chime in on this. The toe centric bolt...how does one mark it, to remember where to set it back? I mean, is this something I shouldn't do by myself? or can I mark it with 'white-out' or something, so that I will know where it should 'return' once the bolt goes back in? Thanks for the suggestions, and all help!!

Archived