LegacyGT.com

Problem with McIntosh Headunit

LIBIDO

Hey guys, Got a problem with my McIntosh HeadUnit and was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is.

The head unit out of the blue now won't read any CDs, it just comes up with an error message "Focus Err" and then spits the CD back out.......anyone had this prob or know what i can do?

I would take it back to the dealership but i have no time to for the next few weeks, hoping theres a quick fix

yea i thought that was the case but it won't read any of the CDs in the stacker. I used a CD lense cleaner and still the same prob.

My mate works at the Service Centre at a subaru dealership and all he can tell me is to get it replaced under warranty. That seems to be his answer to everything haha

• 1 month later...

Libido,

Re your December 2005 post, my Liberty GT is just over 2 years old and I have just had exactly your problem with the McIntosh CD unit ie. suddenly won't read any CDs, comes up with an error message "Focus Err" and then ejects the CD. I'm convinced its not a CD disc problem but a unit problem and probably with the laser mechanism.

How did you go with Subaru fixing your problem? What was the fault? Is it a known problem or wouldn't they say?

PS: I'm obviously in Australia.

Well the head unit right now is working......i tried the CD player about a few weeks after the prob occured and the head unit works perfectly fine now. But Subaru has already ordered in a replacement under warranty so they didn't bother looking into the prob. Will be gettin the new unit put in tomorro.

Well the head unit right now is working......i tried the CD player about a few weeks after the prob occured and the head unit works perfectly fine now. But Subaru has already ordered in a replacement under warranty so they didn't bother looking into the prob. Will be gettin the new unit put in tomorro.

Nice work and thanks for keeping the thread updated. I think the best method is to have the unit replaced as these things have a habit of coming back just when you think the drama has gone.

Ada///M.

Libido,

Good to hear that your unit is being replaced by Subaru. Again, my problem has followed your pattern - the CD player works one day but "Focus Err" the next. Have discussed my problem with dealer and Subaru have also agreed to replace the unit under warranty. Should be taking mine in shortly when the ordered unit arrives.

I am a little concerned about them taking dash/console apart to replace unit and whether it will come back with squeaks, rattles etc. Please let me know how you go and what sort of job they did.

PS. seems this problem with the McIntosh CD unit is not unknown to Subaru. So much for the McIntosh units reputation for quality!??

Just letting you guys know that i've got my car back and that all is good with the new head unit.

Silveroo, i haven't had a chance to talk to my mate about what was involved with the service done but he took extra care of it for me. But in my opinion i think squeaks and rattles are bound to occur once any interior panel has been taken out......thats just from past experiences.

p.s. oil and oil filter change was done free of charge hehehe

• 3 weeks later...

Libido,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear that your faulty McIntosh unit has been replaced and it looks like they did a good job with the dash removal part of the process.

Its now 4 weeks since Subaru agreed to replace my faulty unit and I'm still waiting for the replavcment part to come in!! Will let you know when it eventually arrives and gets replaced.

Just out of interest, did Subaru indicate to you iif t was a known or common problem? 4 weeks and still no replacement part might well be the answer.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Silveroo, sorry for the late reply to ur post buddy.......well at the time they said it wasn't a known problem that they have encountered before, but it seems like someone else had their mcintosh head unit replaced at the Subaru dealership recently as well, because i recieved a phone call from the service centre today advising that i had left some cd's in the old unit and for me to pick them up......and i know for a fact that i don't listen to Neil Diamond or "The Hits of the 70s" hahaha

Libido,

Thanks for the reply. My unit has now been replaced and is working fine. My concerns about the removal & fitting of the unit appear unfounded as the dash has gone back together OK with no issues. Unsure if it is a "common" problem but mine was certainly not the first faulty McIntosh unit replaced by the dealer.

PS: what did you do with the Neil Diamond CD? No! No! No! It was only a joke!!

Archived