LegacyGT.com

Power steering o-ring fix

Last winter I started having some problems with the power steering system on my 05 GT. My symptoms included noise from the power steering pump, bubbles in the power steering reservoir (which usually resulted in overflowing fluid out of the reservoir), and intermittent power steering loss in cold weather when the car was first started. When the car would warm up, the problem would go away as the power steering system bled the air out of the system.

I was able to track the problem down to the o-ring on the feed fitting on the top of the power steering pump. When cold, the o-ring would shrink and let air into the system. When the engine warmed and the o-ring expanded, the air leak would close and the system would return to normal eventually.

I tried replacing the o-ring with something off the shelf and while it did help a little, over time last winter the problem started to return, though not as bad. I knew this was related to the o-ring material not being correct for power steering fluid, but my Subaru dealer said they were unable to order just the o-ring by itself.

Fast forward to this year and I figured I'd try again while I was picking up valve cover gaskets from the dealer. Amazingly, the parts counter guy was able to get me a part number and order the o-ring. Put it in this weekend and this morning with temps in the 30s, I had no issues with my power steering.

It's a cheap easy fix if you have the same symptoms I did.

Subaru part number is 34439FG000.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
I didn't drain mine. one bolt holds the hose to the top of the pump. just take out the bolt, then quickly lift the hose above the level of the fluid reservoir and you shouldn't lose too much fluid.

I didn't drain mine. one bolt holds the hose to the top of the pump. just take out the bolt, then quickly lift the hose above the level of the fluid reservoir and you shouldn't lose too much fluid.

X2

No need to bleed if done this way.

Thanks, guys! I think I'm going to do this right before I do the P/S flush.

I went to the dealer last night and checked out the new Legacy sitting inside the dealer floor. I noticed the level of the reservoir for P/S is at "Max Cold." Meanwhile, my car's P/S reservoir is at "Min Cold" in the morning. So, perhaps it's been seeping out of the P/S pump due to the o-ring issue. I do notice oil dampness around the pump.

I might want to take a picture of the reservoir with the brand new fluid on it. Mine is actually really dark...

Edited by _karu_
Typo

• 1 month later...
anyone have a pic of this o ring fix? :)

I just did it the other day. No pics, but it's simple. Find the power steering pump. Directly on top is a hose with a 90deg composite fitting. One bolt is holding it down. Undo the bolt and pull the fitting straight up. Some fluid will come out, but just quickly just raise the hose up above the reservoir and seal it with your thumb. Sometimes the O-ring will be on the fitting or you may have to fish it out of the pump. Replace O-ring, re-install fitting, and top off fluid if necessary.

If you're going to go that far you might consider flushing the power steering system. There is a post in the Walkthrough section detailing how to do it. It's not that much harder.

Part# 34439FG000 was ~$2 at the dealer.

Edited by Charged

I just did it the other day. No pics, but it's simple. Find the power steering pump. Directly on top is a hose with a 90deg composite fitting. One bolt is holding it down. Undo the bolt and pull the fitting straight up. Some fluid will come out, but just quickly just raise the hose up above the reservoir and seal it with your thumb. Sometimes the O-ring will be on the fitting or you may have to fish it out of the pump. Replace O-ring, re-install fitting, and top off fluid if necessary.

If you're going to go that far you might consider flushing the power steering system. There is a post in the Walkthrough section detailing how to do it. It's not that much harder.

Part# 34439FG000 was ~$2 at the dealer.

thanks. i'll give it a whirl. yeah i saw it's like 1.40 at fredbeans, but i'll just call a local dealership. :spin:

• 6 months later...

I very much appreciate this information and especially having the

O-Ring part number handy.

Could I break into this discussion briefly so I don't have to start a new thread?

What are you all using for power steering fluid? OEM Subaru?

I see in the FSM that Dextron III (ATF?) is equivalent. Does anyone use this, and if so, is it a clear fluid like the OEM?

For $2 I'll give it a shot.

My symptoms are identical to the OP. Zero issues Last year, just a small fluid leak. Winter comes, starts acting up. Make it through the winter, no issues all spring, all summer.

First startup on a cold day a few weeks ago... issues come back.

I've never seen anything dextron based that wasn't red. This includes coolant and p/s fluid.

……..I see in the FSM that Dextron III (ATF?) is equivalent. Does anyone use this, and if so, is it a clear fluid like the OEM?

I used to use DexIII, but it is longer available on store shelves, from what I have seen. I now use DexVI, which is backwards compatible with DexIII. It is a red tinted liquid.

Edited by outahere

My power steering was whining, losing a little fluid and lots of foam in the fluid. I just replaced my o-ring but got A close matching one from my local garage I can walk to. The old one did feel a little stiff but not to the point of breaking. Thanks for the above part number...I may swing by the dealership and just pick one up in case this one doesn't work.

No need to bleed the power steering or anything...

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...

I seem to be having the same problem with my 2000 Legacy. Any idea if this could be the same solution.

Everything seemed fine until this morning and 0 degree temp. Now it feels like no power steering. There was a bit of squealing when I started the car, but then it quieted it down.

Drove to work with what feels like no steering.

Popped the hood figuring that I would be missing a belt and everything seems fine and turning nicely.

But no steering.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Here is a video of what I thought was the o-ring whine.

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/theflystyle/media/VIDEO0006_zps253e855f.mp4.html

Here is a picture of the o-ring (the 04 outback has 2 rings / both are the o-rings in the car in the above video)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/theflystyle/IMAG0017_zps221281a3.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/theflystyle/IMAG0016_zpsb34eb0b5.jpg

I replaced both o-rings with Subaru parts, I turned the wheels lock to lock to try to expell air but its still very noisy. As a test I sprayed some belt dressing around and it quieted the whine but came back within a minute.

This is driving me crazy

Here is a video of what I thought was the o-ring whine.

I replaced both o-rings with Subaru parts, I turned the wheels lock to lock to try to expell air but its still very noisy. As a test I sprayed some belt dressing around and it quieted the whine but came back within a minute.

This is driving me crazy

Video sounds like belt whine to me, which would mean adjust belt tension, maybe replace the belt.

I just did the o-ring fix for my car, and it's fine now. The pump whine was pretty a pretty terrible noise (sort of like the Banshee from Halo), and increased with rpm when driving - didn't sound anything like your video.

Do you have air bubbles in your PS reservoir after driving? Losing any fluid?

There were a few bubbles in the PS res when I was turning the wheel lock-to-lock but they stopped. The belts also looked like they were in good condition and the tracks were not worn or cracked...

The wheel is a beast to turn and since this is an older lady's DD (grandma) I want to fix it ASAP.

I guess I need to lookup how to adjust the belt tension since I havent had to do that before.

I wonder if mine has same problem ? My symptoms aren't quite the same. When car is first started and I try to turn the steering wheel, it kinda catches or hicccups, like the assist kicks in and goes out, kinda chatters a little like anti-lock brakes. Once I'm moving at any speed it's just fine.

theflystyle From the 2004 FSM

FRONT SIDE BELT (Power Steering and Alternator Belt)

1. Install a V belt ©, and tighten the slider bolt so as to obtain the specified belt tension
  2. Tighten the lock bolt (A)
  3. Tighten the slider bolt (B)
  4. Tightening torque - Lock bolt (A): 25 N⋅m (2.5 kgf-m, 18.1 ft-lb

REAR SIDE BELT (AC Compressor Belt)

1. Install the belt tensioner
  2. Install a V belt, and tighten the slider bolt (B) so as to obtain the specified belt tension
  3. Tightening torque - Lock nut (A): 23 N⋅m (2.3 kgf-m, 17.0 ft-lb)

INSPECTION AND ADJUSTMENT

1. Replace the belts, if cracks, fraying or wear is found
  2. If using a belt tension gauge, remove the V-belt cover and reservoir tank
  3. Check the V-belt tension and adjust it if necessary by changing the generator installing position or idler pulley installing position

A Belt tension (with belt tension gauge)

• When installing new parts: 618 — 755 N (63 — 77 kgf, 139 — 170 lb)

• At inspection:490 — 640 N (50.0 — 65.3 kgf, 110.2 — 143.9 lb)

B Belt tension (with belt tension gauge)

• When installing new parts: 740 — 880 N (75.5 — 89.7 kgf, 166 — 198 lb)

• At inspection: 350 — 450 N (35.7 — 45.9 kgf, 78.7 — 101.2

A Belt tension (without belt tension gauge)

• When installing new parts:
    7 — 9 mm (0.276 — 0.354 in)

• At inspection:
    9 — 11 mm (0.354 — 0.433 in)

B Belt tension (without belt tension gauge)

• When installing new parts:
    7.5 — 8.5 mm (0.295 — 0.335 in)

• At inspection:

9.0 — 10.0 mm (0.354 — 0.394 in)

1141745735_2004SubaruLegacy-OutbackPSAlternator(A)BeltInstallation.thumb.jpg.67a3fdfc5ecb168be1ecf15e7b06fab5.jpg

25195393_2004SubaruLegacy-OutbackAC(B)BeltInstallation.thumb.jpg.f17cab723916822746fbac5539f396fa.jpg

1403441826_2004SubaruLegacy-OutbackPSAltACBeltTensioningSpecsw-tensiongauge.thumb.jpg.e43d49fc843e4e058495395b2b6b7f7b.jpg

1406434994_2004SubaruLegacy-OutbackPSAltACBeltTensioningSpecswithout-tensiongauge.thumb.jpg.9318f9f42df63c7f2043a580ade27b21.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -