LegacyGT.com

Pothole damage. Repair or get new rim?

Beamercub

Hit a HUGE pothole back in june. Haven't been driving much, but when i do it is annoying going 50+ on the highway. No, I haven't had the wheels balanced since, prolly should do that first.. But, i'm sure something is dented with the force I hit the pothole.. A quarter that was on the passenger side floor hit my friend in the face!

Most body shops can have the wheel straightened and paint it if needed.

You can also search for a wheel repair shop in your area.

We have one in Windsor Locks CT. I have had a few wheels repaired.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wheel+repair+shop+in+Boston+MA&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=wheel+repair+shop+in+Boston+MA&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.7412j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you can take your wheel off and look at it or drop it off they can may be fix it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You need to take your car to a tire shop or a dealer ASAP my man, there's a lot of variables here. IDK if you pulled the wheel off the car and inspected it yourself or not but without knowing more i don't wanna tell you the wrong information.

Did you not blow out a tire when you hit this pothole? I'm guessing no because any mechanic would tell you if your wheel's structural integrity was damaged or out of round....unless you changed the tire yourself.

If you didn't blow a tire out and you bent the wheel, your tires wouldn't hold air pressure for long.

My other thought is you probably damaged something else like the wheel bearing or broke an axle.

If you didn't blow a tire out and you bent the wheel, your tires wouldn't hold air pressure for long.

Not entirely true. A small bend (<.050") would give the wobbles but would still hold air. I used to repair bent rims and saw this all the time.

To the OP, if you have not lost air in the tire, jack up the car and spin the wheel you think is the offender. A small bend you might be able to see if you watch the drum of the wheel as it spins. If the bend is on the inside of the wheel, it is likely repairable. If it is on the face (outside) of the rim, it MAY be repairable depending on severity. However, it will most likely result in damage to the finish.

Not entirely true. A small bend (<.050") would give the wobbles but would still hold air. I used to repair bent rims and saw this all the time.

To the OP, if you have not lost air in the tire, jack up the car and spin the wheel you think is the offender. A small bend you might be able to see if you watch the drum of the wheel as it spins. If the bend is on the inside of the wheel, it is likely repairable. If it is on the face (outside) of the rim, it MAY be repairable depending on severity. However, it will most likely result in damage to the finish.

that's fair, OP hasn't given us much info other than hitting a pothole. Personally if I felt something was up I'd immediately swap my tire out for the donut and bring it to a tire shop.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...