LegacyGT.com

The (Potential) Woes of Used Car Ownership

I'm new 'round these parts... some of you may have picked up on the fact that I just bought an '07 Spec B from the classies here. Surely a poor practical decision--when within the first couple of hours spent lurking/reading up on this forum leads to the discovery of the casual and nonchalant usage of "#ynansb"--but no better time for me to have a fun car than now!

In any case, loving the car so far. Moving from an '02 Corolla, it's very strange driving a car that has some balls! I'm sure this thing's going to get me in trouble at some point :lol:

That said... there's definitely some work to be done. At some point while looking under the hood today, something strange caught my eye. See if you can tell me what's wrong here...:

http://imgur.com/J4BgyDm.jpg

Right after I saw that, I drove straight to the local Subie dealer and picked up replacement bolts/nuts. Seems the stud on the far-left side (right behind the wastegate actuator arm in that picture) is snapped in half... the other two studs/nuts are intact.

Additionally, the foglights don't seem to be working. The relay is clicking, the indicator lights up in the dash, the fuse is good, and I checked the passenger side bulb today and that's fine too. When I get a multimeter to work with, I'll check to see where I'm losing the connection. In the meantime, if anyone's had similar problems, any tips would be great! I also "fixed" the DRLs today :).

Still trying to figure out how to fix my dome lights... they work as expected barring the fact that an "unlock" signal from the keyfob doesn't light them up. The owner's manual says to bring the car to a Subie dealer and they can adjust the duration, so I'm hoping that's a quick (and free) plug-into-the-BIU-and-change-a-setting sort of deal.

Besides that, the car seems to be in pretty good shape. I'm not sure what's been done to it besides intake (Cobb SF intake with a Perrin turbo inlet hose), downpipe (pictured), and an aftermarket cat/axle-back (I assume catback). No idea what type of catback is on there, but all I know is that the Y-pipe hangs WAY too low for my liking, especially considering the crap roads we deal with out here in MA. I'm currently debating reverting the exhaust back to stock, as well as possibly the intake.

Just rolled over 117k today. Gonna do an oil change in a couple weeks, and plan on sending a sample of the drained oil to Blackstone for testing. PO said the car was checked out by ECS in CT, and mentioned that they said compression looked good across the board. Also plan to replace gearbox/diff/clutch/brake/PS fluids, just so I know they're done. While I'm at it, I plan on getting rid of the clutch damper. I'll also need to check to ensure the banjo bolt oil filters have been removed. Might throw on the Perrin intercooler I got with the car as well (though since I have no plans to build it, I wonder if I'll just be better off selling it instead, along with the GrimmSpeed EBCS).

All that's left is finding a place that'll pass the car for an inspection... whoever put on the tints went real dark (shops have been measuring 12%, legal limit being 35%). I like them, and I don't want to get rid of them if I don't have to.

If there's anything I missed as far as maintenance goes, please let me know! I've been lurking pretty regularly here for the past week or two, and I think I've gotten my bearings on what's important w.r.t. maintenance and upkeep, etc., but surely there's a bunch I'm missing. I've also been taking my time getting familiar with the vacation pix :p

Yes, welcome.

Check the turbo for shaft play if you remove the down pipe.

tell us where you live, we may be able to recommend a good repair shop if you need.

Check out "underdog motorsports" he's in MA and is one of the "go to guy's" here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks guys!

I'm currently in western MA (M.S. student at UMass Amherst), will be in Waltham full-time come May/June. I saw Underdog, as well as Motive being forum members. Motive's pretty close to my home location, so I might head up there when I'm back home to get a thorough inspection.

As for updates, I figured out my fog-light problem. For the passenger-side light, the socket was broken (the +12V pin broke somewhere inside the molded plastic). For the driver-side light, the GND cable from the socket to the bulb housing was somehow broken. Currently have another socket on order. While I was at it, I "fixed" the foglight controls as well.

Yes, Motive Autoworks do amazing job, I've used them in the past and was very happy. Has banjo bolt filter been removed? If not, you should do it. Or is it only LGTs have them?

Yes, Motive Autoworks do amazing job, I've used them in the past and was very happy. Has banjo bolt filter been removed? If not, you should do it. Or is it only LGTs have them?

I believe those were only on the 2005s and 2006s, but I could be wrong. I thought they were no longer used on the 07s-09s.

I believe those were only on the 2005s and 2006s, but I could be wrong. I thought they were no longer used on the 07s-09s.

From my reading on the forums, it seems they were removed somewhere during the '08MY. Though, since I'm the 6th owner of this car, who knows what's been done already :redface:

Buy 17mm short wrench to do it, it'll save you lots of time

I should have all the tools I need to check the two easy ones... the one I'm worried about is the bolt that needs to have the timing cover removed (which involves taking off the cam gears).

From my reading on the forums, it seems they were removed somewhere during the '08MY. Though, since I'm the 6th owner of this car, who knows what's been done already :redface:

6th owner? That's been passed around more than Trebek's mother.

I should have all the tools I need to check the two easy ones... the one I'm worried about is the bolt that needs to have the timing cover removed (which involves taking off the cam gears).

I got all mine banjo bolts undone, but only the one next to turbo had filter in it. So, from my point of view, you only have to one bolt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that makes time number 3 that I've been pulled over since I got this car. First time was around 01:30 because my license plate light was out. Was let off with a warning (and listed as a "white male" in the warning... lawl).

Time 2 was sometime around 16:30 on a Sunday driving through campus. Made eye contact with the campus police officer (which are stateys) as I drove past him while he was stopped, facing out of the parking lot exit he was in. Pulled out behind me and pulled me farther down the road since I still haven't gotten an inspection sticker. Let off with a warning.

Time 3 tonight, about 15 minutes ago, as I turned onto the street I'm currently living on. Didn't actually have my license on me (though he didn't care about that, gave him my passport instead for ID). Again for the inspection sticker, but he also mentioned that my tints would net me a $200 fine and the exhaust a $50 fine. Let me off since I just got the car.

Now I'm actually considering changing my tints out. What a pain in the ass =_=

Archived