LegacyGT.com

Is it possible to turn on AC without having the key in "ON" position?

I have installed a push start button system on my car and in order to have the steering wheel unlocked, I had to cut one of my keys and leave it in the ignition slightly turned (the position between "Lock" and "ACC").

The car starts and stops correctly with my push button and everything works fine except the AC. It seems the AC works only if the key is at "ON" position but I don't want to leave my key in that position when using the push start button since I cannot turn off the car using that button. Basically the car is on but the key is not at "ON" position and hence the AC doesn't work.

Is there a way to make the AC work when the key is not in "ON" position?

I believe you can have it on the on position, but would have to unplug the ignition harness at the key tumbler side.

When I installed my push start with remote start, I also had to cut my key in order to unlock my steering wheel. My current position is on with the harness unplugged and everything works as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see 2 harnesses there. One gray harness with 6 pins and a black harness with 2 pins.

If I unplug the black one, the car doesn't turn on even with the key.

If I unplug the gray one only the red light around the ignition turns off. In this case, if I put the key in "ON" position, all electronics of the car turns on and if I start the car with the button, it doesn't turn off with the button (pretty much the exact things happening as when the harness is connected).

Which harness are you referring to? Is it one of these? Do you have a picture?

Thanks

I believe you can have it on the on position, but would have to unplug the ignition harness at the key tumbler side.

When I installed my push start with remote start, I also had to cut my key in order to unlock my steering wheel. My current position is on with the harness unplugged and everything works as it should.

Yes, by AC I mean air conditioning. I know the car should be running for this work and that is not the problem. I can turn on the car using the push start button I installed but then the issue is, I cannot put the key in the ON position, otherwise the car doesn't turn off with the push button.

So basically I'm asking of there is a way to have the AC running just if the car engine is running and without having the key in the ON position?

Yes, by AC I mean air conditioning. I know the car should be running for this work and that is not the problem. I can turn on the car using the push start button I installed but then the issue is, I cannot put the key in the ON position, otherwise the car doesn't turn off with the push button.

So basically I'm asking of there is a way to have the AC running just if the car engine is running and without having the key in the ON position?

You need to get the wiring schematic and see where the AC system is drawing power from, more than likely it is on its own signal wire from the ignition harness and it isn't being powered when the key is off. Are there any other systems that have the same issue? 12v power port or seat heaters? Radio?

Im lost on this.

I can actually remove my key, and have my ignition on the off position (plugged in) and allow my remote start and/or push start to start my vehicle, and the ac will be on regardless. Actually, all my accessories work without any key being used.

Definitely sounds it can be a wiring matter.

That's interesting. What's the exact model of your car and what push start system did you install?

Mine is a 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium and it seems like all accessories work fine when I start the car using the start-stop button (the radio, seat warmer, 12v power port) except the AC. If I turn the key to the "ON" position, then the AC can be turned on as well.

So are you saying without any modification to your ignition harness your AC works even if the key is not in the "ON" position? I thought you originally mentioned that you had to unplug a harness from your key tumbler.

Im lost on this.

I can actually remove my key, and have my ignition on the off position (plugged in) and allow my remote start and/or push start to start my vehicle, and the ac will be on regardless. Actually, all my accessories work without any key being used.

Definitely sounds it can be a wiring matter.

That's interesting. What's the exact model of your car and what push start system did you install?

Mine is a 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium and it seems like all accessories work fine when I start the car using the start-stop button (the radio, seat warmer, 12v power port) except the AC. If I turn the key to the "ON" position, then the AC can be turned on as well.

So are you saying without any modification to your ignition harness your AC works even if the key is not in the "ON" position? I thought you originally mentioned that you had to unplug a harness from your key tumbler.

The disconnection was to leave the steering unlock for good and not to worry about having it lock. I physically removed it that day to verify and plug it back in to see if it did that without me noticing. Sure enough, everything works exactly the same key in or out.

But yup, i can leave it the ac on, shut the car off. Next day or hours, I can start it up and it will be on.

2010 Subaru Legacy Gt 6spd with EasyGO system.

If you have the wiring details, post it.

The disconnection was to leave the steering unlock for good and not to worry about having it lock. I physically removed it that day to verify and plug it back in to see if it did that without me noticing. Sure enough, everything works exactly the same key in or out.

But yup, i can leave it the ac on, shut the car off. Next day or hours, I can start it up and it will be on.

2010 Subaru Legacy Gt 6spd with EasyGO system.

If you have the wiring details, post it.

Here is the whole wiring diagram for Legacy 2010 which I assume is same as 2011:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_g2MDQTZTu70KMH6M6Hkvhasx-p7R2-/view?usp=drivesdk

And here is a picture of 2 harnesses that I see at my key tumbler

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BnoslSvzzll9rGWrbx-8b_gmGEiqB2pp/view?usp=drivesdk

Can you take a picture of the harness you disconnected so I know which one you're talking about?

Here is the whole wiring diagram for Legacy 2010 which I assume is same as 2011:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_g2MDQTZTu70KMH6M6Hkvhasx-p7R2-/view?usp=drivesdk

And here is a picture of 2 harnesses that I see at my key tumbler

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BnoslSvzzll9rGWrbx-8b_gmGEiqB2pp/view?usp=drivesdk

Can you take a picture of the harness you disconnected so I know which one you're talking about?

Quick question, when I mentioned to disconnect the ignition, which harness did you disconnect?

Quick question, when I mentioned to disconnect the ignition, which harness did you disconnect?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DfOpeG1vkS2A1s07ByTNcdgwuX4JR66x

There is black harness with 2 pins and a gray harness with 6 pins in my picture that I have put a circle around them. I thought you're referring to one of them and I disconnected them one by one.

If I unplug the gray one only the red light around the ignition turns off and it seems nothing else changes.

The main ignition harness is in the picture as well and I put a rectangle around it. Were you asking me to disconnect that one? I assumed since that is the main ignition harness, if I disconnect it, the car will not turn on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DfOpeG1vkS2A1s07ByTNcdgwuX4JR66x

There is black harness with 2 pins and a gray harness with 6 pins in my picture that I have put a circle around them. I thought you're referring to one of them and I disconnected them one by one.

If I unplug the gray one only the red light around the ignition turns off and it seems nothing else changes.

The main ignition harness is in the picture as well and I put a rectangle around it. Were you asking me to disconnect that one? I assumed since that is the main ignition harness, if I disconnect it, the car will not turn on.

It would be the main one with the rectangle.

I would double check your wiring to verify everything is hooked up.

Also, does you car turn on without the key near the car at all? Lets say in your pocket, does it turn over with just the push start or remote start?

Edited by Fabsx

Also, does you car turn on without the key near the car at all? Lets say in your pocket, does it turn over with just the push start or remote start?

I'll test the car tomorrow with having the main ignition harness disconnected but regarding your question about the system working without having the key near it, I opened up my valet key and took out the transmitter that was inside of it and taped it to my key ignition. I also cut the metal part of my valet key and left it inside the ignition to unlock the steering wheel. So the same key fixed both issues.

I disconnected the main ignition harness and the car still turns on with the push button. Also if I turn the key to be in "ON" position, I can turn off the car. BUT still the AC doesn't turn on even if the key is in ON position :(

What push start button system did you install? Do you have the wiring diagram for that?

I disconnected the main ignition harness and the car still turns on with the push button. Also if I turn the key to be in "ON" position, I can turn off the car. BUT still the AC doesn't turn on even if the key is in ON position :(

What push start button system did you install? Do you have the wiring diagram for that?

EasyGO system, almost a PNP system.

Push start, remote start and unlock/lock door handle.

I would double check your wiring and verify you’re good.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out of town for some time and couldn't reply sooner.

Here is the wiring diagram for my passive keyless entry system:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BkEDG4AVQUDlTmIxfwvHlNg0ZtLy7SFr

I assume my wiring is correct but still I'm surprised how your car AC works fine without having the ignition harness connected and mine doesn't.

To be honest, I think all these aftermarket passive keyless entry/push start systems have the same electronics as their brain and they just have different packaging. That's why I was hoping to do what exactly you have done to make the AC work.

Do you have a picture of your system's wiring?