LegacyGT.com

pdXammo's engine build planning

Hi all. I really appreciate the responses to my inquiries thus far and I am going to heed your collective advice and start a thread dedicated to first the planning and the eventual building of this project. I've inherited some stuff with the car and some things I went out half-cocked and bought. I tend to think I've made some reasonable acquisitions thus far but, we will see. I'll change tack if need be.

I'll just make some lists for starts

Came on car

Perrin inlet

Grimmspeed 3 port boost solenoid

some purple hose under the TMIC

tune unknown

Things acquired thus far

ID 1050 top feed injectors

Top feed tgiv

aos

nameless catback

K2 Gear mufflers

Cobb ap

Cobb intake w/stock snorkel

Grimmspeed TMIC

Perrin catted DP

Rebuilt VF52 from limberpineobxt

ID fuel rails and hose kit

Items cued up for acquisition

forged internals block, 2.7 stroker

Blouch 1.5xtr?

Generally, the plan is to assess the current engine and set a timetable for the eventual integration of a EJ257 based powerplant. This car is a hobby and I don't need it to drive although I likely will use it a lot for a DD I have a NA legacy and several trucks to drive otherwise. If the current engine has some life great but, I bought it under the assumption it was DOA and found it wasn't blowing any smoke so I've got my hopes up a little.

I love to tinker with things and I'd be very content perpetually having an engine on a stand. I have a high stress job and it's healthy for me. I've been away from this sort of thing for too long and I miss it.

Here's a couple pics of my sand car that although I still have just sits in the shop at my rental house in Oregon. I keep saying "this year we are going out" but, it never happens. If someone has a boner for it and lives near the dunes let's talk...

My background is VW performance and I ran that out until at one point I had a CNC'd aftermarket case running a drysump oiling and all forged internals with a pair of 48IDA's old school uber fast vw drag stuff. When watercooling got big I wanted to go subie but, the ECU's were $ and I could have saved up and done it but, for about $1500 you could get a honda 3.5 v6 and have about 300 on tap just by stripping the wires off the harness and bending the antitheft module back and forth with pliers until it snapped off. Done and done, pick a gear any gear torque and bulletproof.

This motor here is the last version of that. It's a late model MDX engine that was drive by wire throttle body and digital sensors. It is desirable due to the cast in head exhaust manifold. This version makes more power and is very torquey. Kinda weird how the exhaust is just a pipe coming out of the head but, it works. We had to take an older engine and rob all the timing gears and sensors off of it and graft onto the newer motor to not end up in an endless hell of electrical engineering.

Ok enough about that and back to LGT. I've owned a few legacy/imperzza and always wanted a turbo wagon and well, here we are.

45148_1361384950883_7854525_n.jpg.f96f2c8ca538769575a4942977af0951.jpg

1901250_10201669563437080_7356899224624809688_n.jpg.1450ae43a41789303400c75ef3ec230f.jpg

10168056_10201669566357153_1194938466027357556_n.jpg.25c2fb7b23427c11dd9f0958be511eef.jpg

10170931_10201669562277051_6161956530439588169_n.jpg.e6f76daaf0639cf5014435892d6c623b.jpg

Edited by pdXammo

My LGT as is today. It's on stands in my shop for brakes and putting on the freebie straight pipes as the original leaks and I don't want to overhead weld.

I picked up some Work Emotion Kai 17x8 with 235/40 on them this weekend and I think they should fit despite the tein lowering springs. I think they are too harsh so they'll go before the tire combo.

20191006_183216.thumb.jpg.435fb6b0754bb8a5fd6932730a16e650.jpg

20191018_191635.thumb.jpg.f27fd4652e511ee09370fb05f608ebdd.jpg

Edited by pdXammo

Clean RBP wagon, I remember when mine was in that gooda’ shape :(

She's a bit of a 30 footer right now, looks good at 30 feet.

I know this guy in Salem though Touch Up Tim. He does an amazing job of sprucing things up.

I want to know how the 235/40s fit, I want a 235, but I do not want to roll fenders or anything, even thought I have all the right tools to do it lol.

You do know there's an entire section dedicated to this very problem with members who wait anxiously for any posts?

Technical section: tires ?

You do know there's an entire section dedicated to this very problem with members who wait anxiously for any posts?

Technical section: tires ?

Yes I know and I have read through all the post. But you still get mixed answers. Some say no problem, some say it depends on how low, or what tire make, and what offset, what suspension. So it not a for sure yes it works with not rolling or this and that.

I had to roll my backs in my 09 WRX with 235/40s. the 09 is the narrow body like the 06 LGT body style.

245 is a nominal width not actual width.

Which is why I asked if you read the thread which explains all of that in nitty gritty detail. Like going to the tire rack site and buying tires because the tread pattern gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. MrTris bought his tires that way. Maybe you do too?

245 in a skinny section width with 35psi will probably fit without rolling your fenders and not being lowered and being on the exact same rim. Anything else, it's going to rub.

Tire rack says this - https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxZa0-fWw5QIVxx-tBh2XGw23EAAYAiAAEgJJbfD_BwE&techid=200&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIxZa0-fWw5QIVxx-tBh2XGw23EAAYAiAAEgJJbfD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!386427243787!b!!g!!&gclsrc=aw.ds&/?affiliate=AP8&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!386427243787!b!!g!!

Anyone ever try to make something that is a hybrid of the stock snorkel system and the CAI that the aftermarket produces? It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make something to graft the snorkle to the air box on a CAI? Maybe this has been built by a company before or there has been discussion about such before...

What Max said ^ it’s been discussed in the past but we’ve found that the the stock intake is the preferred choice for anything up to stage 2. Some guys have removed the buttom bulge, (can’t see it until you pull the intake) and put a block off plate on to cover the hole but that doesn’t really add any benefit either. I pulled lower section off because it was blocking the install for my pass side brake duct hose. Cobb Surgeline here in Portland actually made me remove my Cobb intake and go back to the stock intake before tuning when I put the forged motor in (W/ VF52).

Why not just go with the K&N that came with your car? I'm sure it'll be fine for your power goals, as long as you get decent IATs out of it. I'd just watch what IATs for a bit - I've seen an unshielded short ram produce IATs upwards of 130F on a 70 degree day in these cars, when cruising on the highway.

Why not just go with the K&N that came with your car? I'm sure it'll be fine for your power goals, as long as you get decent IATs out of it. I'd just watch what IATs for a bit - I've seen an unshielded short ram produce IATs upwards of 130F on a 70 degree day in these cars, when cruising on the highway.

His K&N setup is not sealed, so it gets hot air from everywhere.