LegacyGT.com

P1844?

Got a CEL and flashing SPORT light. Sport light no longer flashing. Pulled the code, P0700 and P1844.

Vacation pix doesn't show a P1844, but I did find this on another Subaru forum.

P1844 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor Switch E Circuit

Any idea what the problem is?

AP can't clear it either.

The code cleared itself on the dealer test drive. They suspect something is on its way out and depositing debris on the sensor.

I talked to Paul at DBTuned, he checked the diagnostic procedure for the code and concluded tranny will most likely need to go too. Dealer wanted $5K for rebuilt tranny, Paul located a used one and will do it for $3K.

Diagnoses: P1844-> Refer to P0761 for diagnostic procedure. P0761, shift solenoid "C" performance or stuck off. Code can be caused by particles in the transmission causing the shift solenoid "C" to malfunction or the transmission harness has a resistance problem at times. Recommend replacing the transmission, flush the cooler lines and recheck.

Isn't there a magnetic trap/plug on the gearbox? If that's so then it may have caught at least something if there is a mechanical problem coming up.

If it's not a mechanical problem it's likely an electrical problem.

Just check if the drivetrain warranty is valid or if it has expired.

453747.png

My warranty has long expired. It's got 137K miles on it, been at stage 1 since 45K.

Paul at DBTuned talked to a Subaru tech that said it's not likely for a harness to fail. Possibly sludge in the tranny, but even spending the time to clean everything might not solve the problem. He did try to get my bill to come up to $3K, but came up short.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...

The 5EAT transmission operates fine with nothing symptomatic,,, and then the ODB error code P1844 makes an appearance.

The P1844 ODB error code first happened on a 1,500 mile (ATL-DEN) summer road trip. With the Code error the Subaru OB XT disables the cruise control all the while flashing its dash lights etc. Once the ODB condition is erased via the reader, its all is good until the next P1844 code episode.

The MY05 Outback XT w/5EAT auto gearbox was new to us, that is to say the vehicles service history is first hand knowledge from 11 miles until 125K mi today. At about 50K miles or 6yo the 5EAT trans fluid & inline filter located behind the battery were changed/serviced by Subaru Denver. At about 100,000 miles I personally changed the 5EAT fluid and inline filter using OEM fluid and filter element. The procedure taken was to drain the 5EAT fluid pan by its single bolt drain, maybe 3+ quarts actually drained. The trans fluid pipe circuit to the filter and onto the radiator installed cooler and back to the transmission was also drained of 5EAT trans fluid; maybe 1 quart. The 5EAT took about 4 quarts to refill.

After about 250 miles the above 5EAT fluid drain procedure was repeated. I wasn't anywhere secure to effectively remove the transmission pan altogether, which would have captured more fluid. ("Cleanliness is an automatic transmission's friend") So next best service practice was the 2 step scheme...

With an April '17 5EAT fluid/filter service and a 3,000mi ATL to Vail to ATL road trip

behind us there was no sign of ODB P1844 error code.

Fast forward September '17 and bingo P1844 made a showing. Go figure?

The MY05 Outback XT has the easiest life a car can have ... mostly weekly runs on Monday (60mi) to the ATL airport, parked inside,, until Wednesday comes along and its headed home to another garage. O well, be that as it may. ODB error code P1844 is being reported more and more.

Is there a settled conclusion to the 5EAT error code P1844 ?

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Archived