LegacyGT.com

P0011 code, please help!!!

I recently had a tune-up and my turbo replaced for my 05 legact GT, I drove the car for about a week and a half and then what do you know! the engine light came on AGAIN, I then went to O'Reilly's auto parts and there device read the "p0011" code, I've read that some symptoms of this are idle, and hard starting, in my case hard starting is the problem and when i start the car after not turning it on over night, it makes a rough noise when i start the car after cranking it, their device read camshaft shaft position - timing over-advanced and then i went to adv. auto parts and their device read camshaft position sensor, my car was sitting without running for about 3 months, could possibly just getting an oil change fix this problem or is it guaranteed its the new sensor that i need, for my symptom that is with the hard starting?

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/obdcodes_Subaru.txt

P0011 A Camshaft Position System Performance (Bank 1)

That is the passenger side if I'm right and in that case I would definitely be very careful, and check the banjo bolt filter. That filter is well-known for getting clogged and if that wasn't taken care of at the turbo swap there's a risk that the turbo might have been damaged.

See this thread for more: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/banjo-bolt-filter-change-inspection-interval-often-178141.html

453747.png

It sounds like the OCV (oil control valve) is stuck/seized, due to the car sitting to long. I had the same problem when I rebuilt my motor and the OCV sat out for close to a month. After the motor was installed this code popped up and found that the OCV was stuck. Pulled it out, soaked in oil of an hour and slowly worked the valve open and closed until it moved freely. It worked for about a week after that and then it seized up again. Turns out I had to replace it and haven't had an issue since.

Doing an oil change at this point would probably not work, you'll need to pull the OCV out and check to see if the piston moves freely, if not I would just replace it. Do not drive the car until you inspect the OCV, since this provides oil to the turbo.

My wife's balls are delicious.

is it something i with not much experience can do? or would you by any chance have any videos or picture i can use to help me replace the OCV? and also would you recommend and oil change once i replace the OCV? the code read bank 1 btw, what exactly does that mean?

is it something i with not much experience can do? or would you by any chance have any videos or picture i can use to help me replace the OCV? and also would you recommend and oil change once i replace the OCV? the code read bank 1 btw, what exactly does that mean?

Yes, it's fairly easy to get to. Just need to remove 2 valve cover vent hoses that sits behind it and unscrew one bolt, then it slides right out. Couldn't seem to find pics or video on a quick search, but I'll take a few pics of the area and what you need to do to remove it tonight after work.

Yes I would recommend changing the oil once once you figure out the OCV. On a Subaru motor, Bank 1 represents the passenger side of the motor and Bank 2 represents the driver side of the motor.

Looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle towards the windshield:

Bank 1=passenger side-your left

Bank 2=driver side-your right

There are threads to change the OCV I believe and if IIRC there are walkthroughs but they are amazingly simple to change. If you don't have one, I recommend purchasing a Haynes manual for the car and it can help you with a lot of these kinds of things with photos and diagrams.

Yes, it's fairly easy to get to. Just need to remove 2 valve cover vent hoses that sits behind it and unscrew one bolt, then it slides right out. Couldn't seem to find pics or video on a quick search, but I'll take a few pics of the area and what you need to do to remove it tonight after work.

Yes I would recommend changing the oil once once you figure out the OCV. On a Subaru motor, Bank 1 represents the passenger side of the motor and Bank 2 represents the driver side of the motor.

LOL....I was typing my post and had to answer the phone and you beat me to it...:lol:

Just see the second thread I linked above.

453747.png

the picture in the thread you posted it seems to be of the driver side because the battery is on the driver side, not the passenger side, am i right? "F1inspiredLGT" by any chance did you get any pictures of it buddy? i would really appreciate it, and does anyone know where i can purchase the OEM OCV? for a reasonable price?

The OCV is controlling the oil to the camshaft advance unit which is hydraulically operated and then the sensor detects the camshaft angle compared to the crankshaft.

If there is a fault in any of the parts the code will be set. The following can be the cause:

• Bad oil pressure. (often combined with turbo oil starvation, hence my worries above)
  • Stuck OCV. (not too unusual)
  • Bad advance unit. (rare from what I know)
  • Bad position sensor. (should give more than that code)

453747.png

Ok, here we go.

1. Remove the intake elbow

2. Remove the 2 valve cover vent hoses, just pull them up out of the way.

3. Remove blue clip

4. Remove 10mm bolt

5. Slowly wiggle the OCV backwards toward the turbo, may have to twist it a little to get it past the vent tubes coming up from the valve cover.

Once out, take a small flat head screwdriver and move the inner piston (valve) up and down and see if it moves freely. It should spring back after you push it up, it if doesn't spring back or is stuck, then I recommend replacing it.

Pics

1.jpg.bded738dc8af11d9ab894c80f3b6d753.jpg

2.jpg.2305cb1af9c709904c90e3204477331b.jpg

3.jpg.34c4fba63e7eb373dba952f83207b0d5.jpg

4.jpg.efa04bf185a9e206866dfe5fa5dbf4ff.jpg

Thank you so much for your help guys! so is it most likely i have to replace the OCV or Camshaft position sensor how the device at advanced auto parts read? the problem i have is it starts kinda rough when i turn it on, which im assuming is one of the reasons my CEL came on, also i have a brand new battery, any ideas?

If this code pops up, more than likely it's the OCV not regulating oil to the Cam gear allowing it to advance/retard timing while idling. This should be the first part to check before looking into other issues. Check it first before deciding to buy a new OCV, this part runs close to $100.

Archived