LegacyGT.com

Outback suspension to Legacy

Fastball

Looking for a little confirmation/advice on raising my 2.5i Limited. From all the threads I have been scouring it appears that the same year OBXT suspension should bolt up to my Legacy, correct?

I have also read it's best to swap out the rear bump stops, OBXT to Legacy as well as swapping out the spacers between the subframe/chasis for dropping the control arm mounting points.

Am I still on the right track?

Now I did find this F/S thread from last year, but seems to have some different items.

I'm no suspension guru by no means, it has been years since I played around with suspensions. Looking to raise my daily driver and get rid of this harsh Legacy suspension.

Heck, my wife's '00 Outback just rolled 200K and STILL rides better then my '08 Legacy with 130K.

Nope its stock suspension, in fact I put new kyb on the front awhile back and still hate the ride. Let's face it an Outback has much more travel and I live in PA. If you have ever experienced PA roads they are always voted the worst in the country by truckers and rightfully so.

Nope its stock suspension, in fact I put new kyb on the front awhile back and still hate the ride. Let's face it an Outback has much more travel and I live in PA. If you have ever experienced PA roads they are always voted the worst in the country by truckers and rightfully so.

The Outback suspension is incredibly bad. It's bouncy, floaty, and oscillates side by side at highway speeds. The Outback also pitches forward hard on braking, and tilts back on acceleration. Google "Outback ghostwalking" and you can learn a bit more about some dangerous situations that come up on snow and ice with the rear end oscillation issues.

If you do put the suspension on, I wish you the best. Maybe I'll be wrong and you'll like it.

Well I'll see tomorrow. Wife and I are going to test drive an '08 Outback that she liked.

I can't stress enough how horrible my roads are here in PA, my Legacy suspension bangs on all my local roads and again, my wife's current ride, a 2000 Outback sedan, rides AND handles better then my '08 Legacy. That Outback has over 200k too!

Again, we have owned and driven well over 100k on an Outback sedan, suspension is better than my '08 Legacy. I guess I'm not as spirited driver on 4 wheels as most here. If I want to experience acceleration and serious handling/cornering I get on 2 wheels, hence the 5 motorcycles in my garage.

I'm looking to get a more comfortable ride and some ground clearance from my Legacy. I've considered trading it in for an Outback, but 4 doors I can do, but a station wagon,...not me! Besides I will lose $$$ trading in my Legacy. The logical solution is to make what I have into what I want.

So does any one have any input on how to swap the suspensions properly and not tear up tires and axels?

Btw, the Outback we test drove ran very well. Had it up to 60mph for short stretch on US30, no crazy handling. A co-worker of mine has an '06 Outback and travels 28miles one way via I83. I mentioned to him the handling concerns mentioned here to me and he disagrees completely. He's had his '06 since new and now with 130k plus.

I thought swapping out the low profile tires may help too, but very little actually. I run a set of General snow tires in 16in steelies in the winter and I was disappointed it didn't help the rough ride as much as I had hoped.

So seriously no one has some real input on the suspension swap?

Again, we have owned and driven well over 100k on an Outback sedan, suspension is better than my '08 Legacy. I guess I'm not as spirited driver on 4 wheels as most here. If I want to experience acceleration and serious handling/cornering I get on 2 wheels, hence the 5 motorcycles in my garage.

I'm looking to get a more comfortable ride and some ground clearance from my Legacy. I've considered trading it in for an Outback, but 4 doors I can do, but a station wagon,...not me! Besides I will lose $$$ trading in my Legacy. The logical solution is to make what I have into what I want.

So does any one have any input on how to swap the suspensions properly and not tear up tires and axels?

Btw, the Outback we test drove ran very well. Had it up to 60mph for short stretch on US30, no crazy handling. A co-worker of mine has an '06 Outback and travels 28miles one way via I83. I mentioned to him the handling concerns mentioned here to me and he disagrees completely. He's had his '06 since new and now with 130k plus.

When I say the Outback suspension is poor, I am referring to how it behaves in emergency situations (i.e. swerve on the highway to avoid an accident, or even oscillating tail behavior in highway cross winds). People always describe it as "Tahoe-like" because its so roly-poly. However, an Outback wagon would certainly be worse than an Outback sedan (or regular sedan with Outback suspension) due to the wagon's higher center of gravity. You wouldn't have had a chance to experience any emergency situations on your test drive, and if your co-workers are anything like mine, they probably know zero about cars and safe handling. :)

Regardless, I think you're on the right path to a suspension that suits your personal taste better: one with more travel and softer springs and damping as the expense of a flatter, more predictable and controllable chassis.

Okay, so here is the thread for a set up for sale. Can anyone comment on the parts here, if this is what I would need to swap suspensions??

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/denver-co-05-09-outback-suspension-lift-your-legacy-244188.html

Those parts will be sufficient for a raised height that can be properly aligned. There are actually other differences because the Outback has subframe spacers. I'm not sure on how they might impact alignment or other things like drivetrain/driveshaft angles. If I were you, I'd install the struts, springs, and rear arms. Perhaps you'd want the Outback rubber bump stops, too.

I thought swapping out the low profile tires may help too, but very little actually. I run a set of General snow tires in 16in steelies in the winter and I was disappointed it didn't help the rough ride as much as I had hoped.

So seriously no one has some real input on the suspension swap?

When you switch to Outback struts, it will allow for a taller sidewalled tire. The stock Outback tire size is 225-55-17. Or you could also use a 16 wheel with a very tall sidewall.

For example, the 225-55-17 (stock Outback size) has a 23% taller sidewall than 205-50-17 (stock 2.5i Legacy sedan size). That's a big difference in ride comfort, and would be far more than your snow tires.

Literally, all you need is Outback struts and springs. That's it.

You are over thinking it.

225/55/17 on snow tires is super comfy, even on Bilstein HDs and LEgacy GT suspension.

Possibly he is. But have you seen a Legacy with Outback struts/springs and Legacy control arms? I've only seen the opposite (Outback on Legacy struts with both Legacy and Outback control arms). I didn't want to make the claim that it was as simple as Outback struts/springs without seeing an alignment sheet from somebody who did it.

Thank you very much! Now that's some intel on the subject I posted and I can roll with.

Yes, much of what I have read talk about a possible problem with the subframe spacers, or lack there of, for the control arm mounting points. and the rear bump stops would need swapped too. Quite a difference between the two.

• 1 month later...
Hi Fastball, First of all i'm extreamly happy to stumble across your thread in regards to getting a lift on your Subaru legacy 2008. I have been looking every where on how to life my Subaru legacy 2007 2.5i Wagon. Im wanting to know how you ended up going with this? did you successfully get the lift on your subaru, if so have u in counted any issues. All your help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a HUGE job for the Legacy. The best option I have found is a fresh set of RalliTEK springs with the spacers they offer. Unfortunately this will make the suspension almost 20% stiffer for me than it already is, and I hate the rough ride in my Legacy already on these horrid PA roadways.

I am considering doing the full spring/strut set up for my wife's new '05 from RalliTEK, though. Check out their website and the full packages they have to offer.

Thanks Fastball. I have had a look on the website and I can see the Subaru Legacy life springs on there but only spacers for a outback. Sorry im not that clued up on mechanic work but was wondering if I would need structs as well as the springs on Rallitek or would the springs fit straight into my existing Legacy Structs?

Its a straight swap from legacy to outback, the spacers and such are not needed. Do not mix and match legacy struts and springs either do a full swap or leave it alone.

The 05 outbacks in the us are the highest of all 1" higher than all other countries. Also the 05+ outbacks are very loose esp in the rear. The popular upgrade for outbacks is to use 01-04 rear struts they are stiffer and make the outback much better in the corners while still maintaining most of the comfort. I would suggest using 05 outback springs and front struts with 04 rear struts. They really are pretty awfull as bone stock 05, almost scary at high speed. Also get tje car aligned with 100lbs in the trunk to avoid the "ghost walking"

• 8 months later...
Its a straight swap from legacy to outback, the spacers and such are not needed. Do not mix and match legacy struts and springs either do a full swap or leave it alone.

I would suggest using 05 outback springs and front struts with 04 rear struts. They really are pretty awfull as bone stock 05, almost scary at high speed. Also get tje car aligned with 100lbs in the trunk to avoid the "ghost walking"

Any differences between 2005 OB vs 2005 OBXT suspensions? Trying to confirm exactly what I need to buy to do this swap correctly on my 2005 Legacy GT Limited 5spd. Planning on buying used 2005 springs and new KYB GR-2's for all 4 corners.

Please confirm below ..

1. 2005 OBXT springs. Are 2005 OB (non turbo) springs the same?

2. 2005 OBXT front struts. Are 2005 OB (non turbo) front struts the same??

3. 2004 OB 2.5i rear struts. Non turbo is only option .. right?

AR

When you switch to Outback struts, it will allow for a taller sidewalled tire. The stock Outback tire size is 225-55-17. Or you could also use a 16 wheel with a very tall sidewall.

For example, the 225-55-17 (stock Outback size) has a 23% taller sidewall than 205-50-17 (stock 2.5i Legacy sedan size). That's a big difference in ride comfort, and would be far more than your snow tires.

I recently bought an 05 LGT 5spd. It's lowered on Tein springs, Billstein struts and stiffer/thicker front and rear sway bars. I hate the way it rides but love the way it handles. Planning on swapping out lowered springs and struts for stock OB suspension and beefier on/off road tires. Also might take it off road a bit.

Do you think a 225-60-17 would be okay with OB suspension? They would be going on my stock LGT 17" wheels ..

Any drawbacks to running stiffer/thicker sways with OB suspension? Would swapping stiffer/thicker sways out for stock OB sways or stock LGT sways be a good idea?

AR

• 3 weeks later...
Any differences between 2005 OB vs 2005 OBXT suspensions? Trying to confirm exactly what I need to buy to do this swap correctly on my 2005 Legacy GT Limited 5spd. Planning on buying used 2005 springs and new KYB GR-2's for all 4 corners.

Please confirm below ..

1. 2005 OBXT springs. Are 2005 OB (non turbo) springs the same?

2. 2005 OBXT front struts. Are 2005 OB (non turbo) front struts the same??

3. 2004 OB 2.5i rear struts. Non turbo is only option .. right?

AR

1,2) You can check Subarus part numbers of the various springs/struts at opposedforces.com to see if there is a difference. I doubt there is anything significant in terms of spring rate, if anything at all. I'd bet money the struts are the same between XT and non turbo. Also, there is nothing special.about 2005. 2005-2009 Outback springs and/or struts will work fine. Some people like the 04 rear struts because they are a bit stiffer. For max comfort, stick with the 2005-2009 KYBS struts.

3) Correct.

I recently bought an 05 LGT 5spd. It's lowered on Tein springs, Billstein struts and stiffer/thicker front and rear sway bars. I hate the way it rides but love the way it handles. Planning on swapping out lowered springs and struts for stock OB suspension and beefier on/off road tires. Also might take it off road a bit.

Do you think a 225-60-17 would be okay with OB suspension? They would be going on my stock LGT 17" wheels ..

That size might rub. Outback owners had problems with rubbing on Yokohama Geolanders in that size. Instead, they use 215 60 17 and even 215 65 17. Yoko Geolanders and General Grabbers at2s are the popular on/off road dual purpose tires.

Any drawbacks to running stiffer/thicker sways with OB suspension? Would swapping stiffer/thicker sways out for stock OB sways or stock LGT sways be a good idea?

AR

The downside of thicker sways is a slightly rougher ride. A thicker sway bar essentially 'connects' the suspension on each side so that bumps that normally hit one wheel on one side get felt by both wheels.

For offroading, people often disconnect their sway bars entirely as it reduces suspension articulation / range of motion.

If it was me, I'd be lazy and just leave the thicker bars on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going the opposite direction in about a week or so. My 05 XT's suspension isn't ideal for what I'd like to do, so I'm taking it all off and going to an LGT suspension set. If you're interested after I take it all off I'd sell all the XT take off bits to go in the reverse direction, if you really want to make your LGT an XT...

I'm going the opposite direction in about a week or so. My 05 XT's suspension isn't ideal for what I'd like to do, so I'm taking it all off and going to an LGT suspension set. If you're interested after I take it all off I'd sell all the XT take off bits to go in the reverse direction, if you really want to make your LGT an XT...

Where are you located?

How many miles are on your OBXT?

Are front and rear struts original?

>Where are you located?

NY, specifically eastern Long Island.

>How many miles are on your OBXT?

My wagon has 115k.

>Are front and rear struts original?

Unknown. I bought the car with 105k on the clock. They don't feel bad (like every other Outback I've driven in), but when they come out I'll take a look at them and take pics of it all. I have a full conversion kit to an LGT already on hand, so I'll be taking them off as a complete assembled unit, this should just require on your part to swap out the equivocal parts on your side.

What you'd be doing if you want to make it a complete conversion is this thread but in reverse: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/info-ob-gt-suspension-geometry-removing-spacer-180579.html That would be making your car an appropriate OBXT height with all the OEM goodness available.

However, I've promised my OBXT driveshaft to someone else in a trade. So I'm afraid you'll need to get that one yourself. I don't see why the LGT driveshaft wouldn't work, it's held in only slightly higher to the body, and that would mean you'd have to use the LGT heatshield as well.

Archived