LegacyGT.com

Okay I've HAD it with my FM reception..

gfxdave99

So im thinking something drastic like a Honda Style antenna on the front pillar or a vw style on the back of the trunk or something because my reception blows ASS :)

Has anybody figured out any way to make it better.. and i dont have metallic tint :)

And yes i made sure that the antenna booster has power :)

Oh and yes I made sure everythings connected...

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Guest *Jedimaster*
Mine is usually pretty good, but for some reason if a trucker or taxi is on the CB, the reception gets screwy. Sometimes under power lines too :iam:

Mine is usually pretty good, but for some reason if a trucker or taxi is on the CB, the reception gets screwy. Sometimes under power lines too :iam:

(wonders if wagons get better antennas ;) )

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

My Outback's reception sucks ass. Metallic tint actually improved it a bit, but it's still not very good. I think the window antenna's just suck balls...no way around it. I noticed the Foresters now get then antenna in the side window instead of the back, although I'm not sure if that helps any.

99% of the time I use XM now, although reception on that isn't much better and the sound quality on XM seems to get worse day by day. So much for digital, the quality on some channels is starting to rival FM anyway. :(

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Absolutely no issues with FM reception on my wagon. AM is sux0rz though, especially in parking structures (and really apparent under the fluorescent lights in the parking garage) and overpasses and such. Outside in clear air, it's okay. I have metallic tint on all 9 window surfaces.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The reception is fine on my wagon. However, those of you with metallic tint, Im surprised your reception improved. When I used metallic tint on my STi, I had 90% loss of reception.

My Outback's reception sucks ass. Metallic tint actually improved it a bit, but it's still not very good. I think the window antenna's just suck balls...no way around it. I noticed the Foresters now get then antenna in the side window instead of the back, although I'm not sure if that helps any.

99% of the time I use XM now, although reception on that isn't much better and the sound quality on XM seems to get worse day by day. So much for digital, the quality on some channels is starting to rival FM anyway. :(

Sirus is soo much better overall. If only it had NCAA football :(

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

My FM reception is better than my last four Fords, my former 911, and my wife's Honda (and all had/have external antennas). I have a wagon with regular tint on the rear and other windows). IMHO, it's the best imbedded antenna I've had.
Ron

• 3 weeks later...
So im thinking something drastic like a Honda Style antenna on the front pillar or a vw style on the back of the trunk or something because my reception blows ASS :)

Has anybody figured out any way to make it better.. and i dont have metallic tint :)

And yes i made sure that the antenna booster has power :)

Oh and yes I made sure everythings connected...

You may find that even an external antenna won't improve your reception.

I had a glass etched antenna on my Accord as well, and finally got so fed up with the reception I went out and bought a couple types of different external antennas... what I found was none helped. The stock antenna was still better then then others.

(I also later found the poor reception was because my sub amplifier causing some sort of interference, so I stopped using it)

I think the antenna on my sedan pulls in excellent reception compared to other vehicles. I'm also pretty sure it is a diversity antenna, so it should definitely reject more interference than any whip style antenna. Is everyone in this thread aware that a TSB regarding the antenna was published by Subaru? There is a faulty ground wire (which mostly affects AM reception).

I currently live 70 miles from the city, with a 2000 foot mountain ridge between me and the city. I can still receive most stations without any static. My Trailblazer with an external antenna and cheap Delphi stereo, in comparison, receives pure static for the same channels that the Legacy receives.

Just get satellite radio and forget about it. You won't be disappointed. I haven't listened to an FM broadcast for months, since I installed XM.

You may find that even an external antenna won't improve your reception.

I had a glass etched antenna on my Accord as well, and finally got so fed up with the reception I went out and bought a couple types of different external antennas... what I found was none helped. The stock antenna was still better then then others.

(I also later found the poor reception was because my sub amplifier causing some sort of interference, so I stopped using it)

Yeah I had the same problem with my Acura TSX, it turns out that poorly shielded Class B amplifiers and honda window antennas dont get along.

My friend has a 05 saabaru 92x and has the same 6cd changer that comes in the wrx, he can get stations in that I cant in my car. That being said, I plan on getting sat radio but the issue is I like the local FM talk station :)

I'm an electronics engineer that specializes in radio broadcasting. The FM reception of the stock radio in my 2005 Outback XT is great, as good as any car radio I'm familiar with. Yours must have a problem.

It could be the radio, the antenna, or the wiring between them. I believe that the glass antenna has an active preamp back there, which is supplied with power, so there are more items to check.

The dealer needs to check the basics, like the connectors and wires first. If they don't find anything, then they should replace the preamp and then the radio. I suppose it could even be a broken trace in the glass.

It may take them a few attempts to find the problem, because they may have to do it by just replacing pieces, one by one. Give them a chance to work through it.

If the OP's LGT was a wagon, I'd strongly suggest getting the dealer to repair under the TSB. But, since it's a sedan...:iam:

SBT

I think the antenna on my sedan pulls in excellent reception compared to other vehicles. I'm also pretty sure it is a diversity antenna, so it should definitely reject more interference than any whip style antenna. Is everyone in this thread aware that a TSB regarding the antenna was published by Subaru? There is a faulty ground wire (which mostly affects AM reception).

Yeah, supposedly it was done on my LGT Wagon.. No difference. In other words: still lousy AM reception. And it gets worse when stepping on the brakes!

Did they mess it up?

I can honestly say - my wife's '00 Explorer had WAY better AM/FM reception.

Heck, I'm coming from a line of VWs which have notoriously bad radio reception. Especially with a broken amp in the roof-mount. And I doubt the Subie's any better (driving in different areas, can't compare directly).

HV

My reception is better in the LGT than my previous car, a Camry with a really expensive antenna that likes to break. I'm able to pick up a station that's over 100 miles away depending on the weather condition.

Yeah, supposedly it was done on my LGT Wagon.. No difference. In other words: still lousy AM reception. And it gets worse when stepping on the brakes!

Did they mess it up?

I can honestly say - my wife's '00 Explorer had WAY better AM/FM reception.

Heck, I'm coming from a line of VWs which have notoriously bad radio reception. Especially with a broken amp in the roof-mount. And I doubt the Subie's any better (driving in different areas, can't compare directly).

HV

You're un-tinted correct? Or at least non-metallic tinted?

If it's worse, take it back to the dealer AND call Subaru Customer Care to open up a trouble ticket. Doesn't sound like the antenna to me, sounds like something in the HU-Antenna connector or a ground issue (again what the TSB is designed to resolve - just sounds like they didn't do it correctly or at all).

SBT

You're un-tinted correct? Or at least non-metallic tinted?

If it's worse, take it back to the dealer AND call Subaru Customer Care to open up a trouble ticket. Doesn't sound like the antenna to me, sounds like something in the HU-Antenna connector or a ground issue (again what the TSB is designed to resolve - just sounds like they didn't do it correctly or at all).

SBT

Yes, NO tint at all (except maybe factory tint in the glass?).

Some stations come in quite well.. Maybe it's just the station that's weak, but.. Stepping on the brakes shouldn't make it worse, should it?

HV

Archived